Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby spicyvi on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm Violet. I train taijiquan in NC. I've heard this is a good community to keep up with. I've been lurking on and off lately - thought I'd make it more official. :-)
spicyvi
Santi

Postby BaguaLaoRen on Sun May 03, 2015 1:04 am

Hello my name is Scott and I'm a CMAholic. My addiction started in grade school with some basic boxing at the "Y" and Tai Kwon Do. In high school I met up with some Chinese Kung Fu guys who effortlessly showed me the ground whenever I used my previously successful kicks. From then on it just got worse.

I currently live in Taiwan and focus mainly on Bagua, HsingYi and Tai Chi but have recently started learning some Baji.

Thanks for having me.
BaguaLaoRen
Santi

Postby Marko on Tue May 19, 2015 4:17 am

Hi, I'm Marko. I live and train in Serbia.

Like a lot of people my age, my fascination with CMA began with Jackie Chan and the other Shaw Brothers movies. Since there was no kung fu classes in Serbia at the time, I went into run of the mill, Shotokan Karate. I stopped after a knee injury at 15. I went briefly into CMC style Taiji quan, but left soon as it wasn't what I've been looking for. After that I trained Kendo for several years until I injured my ankle with poor Fumikomiyashi and got back into Taiji as it was supposedly good for leg injuries.

First I went to a place that did the wushu 42 form with some Chen forms once you finish the "sports" one, but in the meantime and by pure chance I ran into folks who were doing Ip/Snake style. They talked a lot about bodywork, internal connections, applications and so on. I stayed there and this is still my main style, though I'm interested in starting Xing Yi or Bagua in the next couple of years as well.

I've also been on my first Dan Harden/Bodywork seminar earlier this year and had a blast, lots of new stuff to learn and will most definitely be coming back for more any time I get a chance.

I've been lurking around the forum for some time and I thought it was time to join in on the fun :)
Marko
Anjing

Postby daoboxer on Tue May 19, 2015 10:02 am

Hey everyone,
I've been mooching in the shadows for a bit and keep coming back, so decided to join.
I'm a late-thirties practitioner of Yiquan and Jiang style Bagua. I did a solid 4 years training before I had a kids-induced hiatus for 3 years. I've been back on it for a year now.
I generally train Yiquan to start the day, and kill it off with Baguazhang. I put in about 3 hours a day training, mostly focussing on the basics.
See you around...
daoboxer
Santi

Postby moylo on Thu May 28, 2015 6:17 am

Hi Everyone, I'm John and I live in Dublin,

I started learning in 1997 or 1998 with Alan Peatfield in Dublin. I have had a couple of breaks in between but I am still attending the same classes studying mostly Xingyi, Taiji, Bagua and having a lot of fun. Currently focusing on Xingyi. Also train with some friends in Dalian, China every other year on vacation. I've been lurking for a while and I'm looking forward to being able to participate a bit more.
Last edited by moylo on Thu May 28, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moylo
Santi

Postby nickp on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello

My name is Nick. I like to practice Bagua Zhang and have over a year's experience in this. As of late, I've been particularly captivated by the idea of the cultivation of Tao.
I'm currently teaching English in Xi'an, China, and I would love to make friends in the area (or the country!).

My teacher has passed on, so I have been practicing alone and attempting to correct techniques this way. It has worked out well enough so far, but I have posted in the "Request a teacher" forum.

I am also interested in dreaming of Kung fu! For instance: last night, I dreamt of a kung fu master drilling his thumb through an iron helmet! I call the move "Drilling thumb!" haha

Pleasure to meet any of you
-Nick
nickp
Santi

Postby crazedjustice888 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Hey everybody, my name is Will Britt and I am a disciple of David Chin out of Fayetteville, NC. My sifu teaches the original Yang (aka Guang Ping) tai chi and the hop gar system as it is handed down by Ng Yim Ming.

Seems like an interesting place here. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoyed their 4th.
crazedjustice888
Santi

Postby bobbyd on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:35 am

Hello everybody

I can't say too much as i am a beginner so I can't really add anything to the discussion other than I hope to learn a few more interesting things by joining and asking questions.
bobbyd
Santi

Postby MiddleAged on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Howdy:
I'm MiddleAged, in name and place in life. I studied Chen TJQ in the SF bay area for about a year. I found it fascinating, but I can't say that I really got it. Got a knee injury doing it, very minor, but evidently permanent.
Moved to Albuquerque, NM, with no Chen practitioners to speak of, so I took up Judo for about three years. I enjoyed it (mostly), got a few more minor injuries which seem to have stuck with me, but again I found it frustrating as it didn't seem to be taught with a self-defense mind, nor did it have a foundational curriculum to speak of. It was kind of "Let's work on this technique today. Fine. Now let's wrestle!". I took a break after I went back to graduate school for another degree, and haven't been back.
So as I posted in "find a teacher", I'm currently fishing for something new. I prefer the Internal Chinese arts as I am greatly interesting in the idea of power generation through internal biomechanics. Plus, they are cool to watch. However, I'll take what I can get, as long as the instructor is good.

I've already been given a couple of good tips to look in to. Now, I just have to overcome my aversion to white guys who wear silks and insist on people calling them "Shifu", and see if their skills are legit.
MiddleAged
Santi

Postby rookybobby on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Hello all!
I'm Rocky. My journey officially started when I was 13 when I joined my high-school wrestling team. From there I practiced Japanese Jujitsu for 3 years, Kyokushin karate for 2 years and decided to stop kidding myself and started boxing, my trainer being Luis Resto and also had Bobby Miles (relative and training partner to Ezzard Charles) and Aaron 'Superman' Davis train me along with Luis. It's been 5 years of strict boxing training. I only did a few months of BJJ but keep it fresh with friends. Through the years I've been to many different seminars, from MMA with Jim Miller, and a Chen Style Tai Chi seminar (which was an eye opening experience), and wrestling camps. I'm interested in the internal arts and how they could actually help my boxing/kickboxing/grappling. Whether its fighting methods or training exercises.
rookybobby
Santi

Postby depth123 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Im Kim Keon ho (Danny).
I'm practicing Hebei xingyiquan and PM chen style taijiquan. I registered today, and am hoping to meet people in the area who are like minded.
I have permission to teach here in San Diego from my master. If you'd like to learn im all for it, but there will be tuition cost.

I teach the internal aspect and i hope to bring help to the community in terms of kua usage and such.

If this self promotion goes against forum rules, the Mod ares welcome to delete this.
depth123
Santi

Postby TravellingDragon on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:33 am

Hi everyone,

My name is David, been studying siu lam kuen kung fu for a few years now, and wing chun for a couple of years. I also studied a health form of taijiquan and meditation prior but the emphasis was never on combat.

So, greetings. 8-)
TravellingDragon
Santi

Postby BrianK on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi, guys. I'm not new, I was a great old one on the old EF forum before the split, but it's been a few years since I posted. My background is in xingyi, bagua, and Chinese Boxing, but I've also trained in Chen taiji, Choy lay fut, BJJ, Shorinji-ryu karate, JJJ, and dabbled in WC, judo, and a few others. I was recently hired to teach xingyi, bagua, and Chinese Boxing at a local McDojo, but so far I mainly help teach kids Kenpo and very watered down kids Kali classes despite having little to no background in those arts, and help out with the after school care program. It's far from an ideal situation, but it's a paycheck. I also became a Christian this year, which has had a huge impact on my life. I'm not sure how much I'll post, but I think it might be fun to jump back into the fray.
BrianK
Santi

Postby AlexanderG on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi everyone, been interested in martial arts and meditation since I was a kid, trained in a number of arts, until I discovered a love for internal arts around 8 years ago. when I briefly trained Yiquan in a Yu Pengxi lineage and Yang style Taiji. After a long break I returned to my favorite art, Yang style Taiji, I've been a student of Sifu Adam Mizner for under a year. That's about it, looking forward to what this nice forum has to offer :)
AlexanderG
Santi

Postby Taoen7 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Greetings,

My RL name is Patrick,
Been involved with martial arts most of my life. I'm living and teaching in Madison Wi.

Studied TKD received my Black Belt in about 1988 - 89. I had started started Yang Tai Chi about 1988 and after I got my Belt in TKD I briefly was introduced to Hakka Chuan around that same time too. Moved to Madison and studied Northern Shaolin with Sifu Nelson Ferreira from about 1990 - 2001. Dabbled in Chen Tai Chi during that time, got more serious about Chen Family Tai Chi up until present.
I have done weekend seminars with Chen Xiao Xing, Chen Xiao Wang, Chen Zhenglei, Ren Guangyi, Chen Ziqiang. I have studied more earnestly in recent years with Chen Huixian. My main guide and teacher in Chen Tai Chi through the years has been Khiang Seow. I have begun teaching Chen in 2012 with the blessing of Khiang and Huixian. I know I still have so much to learn, and on with the journey.

Pleased to meet you all and to find this forum.
Last edited by Taoen7 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taoen7
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan