more advanced budo..

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

more advanced budo..

Postby emptycloud on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:12 am

Its pretty regular stuff actually.

It seems some peoples out in the open training is another's secret training and vice versa ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFUkhLJ8Q4o

I would like to take this opportunity to say fair thee well fellow fisters...

I am going offline for a while..hope to spend 2016 as internet free as possible..

Thanks for all the fun and training advice...

Be kind to each other... ;D

see you in 2017 or 18...

Yours

Rich
emptycloud

Re: more advanced budo..

Postby wiesiek on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:50 am

:) whole year no screen...
yes
it is
The real hardcore DO !
best
on your way
wiesiek
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Because what the delicate mental balance of this forum needs is *more* "advanced budo". ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:20 pm

translation of the OP: "Here, let me poop some more and leave, and you guys be kind to each other while you're cleaning it up! LOL!"

:-X
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:32 pm

emptycloud wrote:Its pretty regular stuff actually.
It seems some peoples out in the open training is another's secret training and vice versa ...
Rich

Some people's advanced budo...is another persons throw away budo.
Then again to newbies...everything is advanced.
I didn't watch it because I don't have to. I and about fifty people I know can pretty much tell you what's on it without watching it.
Dmitri, you should spend hours and hours watching and then analyzing this to offer serious criticism ... ::) ::) ???
Then I have a local mall's TKD school doing their version of ground work -that they made up- and told a local teacher its better than BJJ.
Its advanced budo!!!! Because, uhm...er...because I said so...
I want YOU to spend hours and hours watching that before Christmas and do an exhaustive analysis as well. AND don't you be talking down a 10th dan TKD teacher AT MY MALL. Hes high ranking, so,..he knows everything.
Including ground work!! Who are YOU to say it isn't better than bjj?
Then you can have Happy holidays. ;) ::)
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Next up for advanced budo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sveTNRp_Q8
I want the board to discuss him seriously because he has a black belt. Yup. A black belt in tai chi
Ah Lious says that's important, Dmitri. and you? You ain't no stinking black belt in Tai chi yet so I don't want to hear a word. :-)
Last edited by Bodywork on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Here we have super advanced budo sword with ninjas.
Now...don't let the fact that there really weren't ninja schools bother you one bit.
Warning..
This is high level advanced budo by -Sensei Norcross who has been training since 1982. He holds several Master Level Black Belts in several Japanese martial arts. He has trained with many high level sword sensei from Japan, China and the US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAU_StJ1lk

Now mind you. I have never seen a Japanese kenjutsu teacher move like this but A.H. Lious says if he has high rank....then its the REAL DEAL.
Last edited by Bodywork on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby Dmitri on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey, hey... I do have a black belt in tai chi. I just don't have all the proper supporting documentation.

So wait, are you saying that just the weight of the sword isn't enough to make a deadly cut, or that chopping off a finger will not immediately incapacitate your opponent? Hmm, guess I need to have a little chat with my BJJ teacher...

BTW, since you failed to provide proper paperwork of your so-called "achievements" in budo, I demand at the very least to see what YOUR tai chi form looks like on youtube! Do it right now; I'm from the internets and I want, dammit!!
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ah Louis on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Bodywork wrote:Now we have super advanced budo sword with ninjas.
Now...don't let that fact that there really weren't ninja schools.
Warning..
This is high level advanced budo by -Sensei Norcross who has been training since 1982. He holds several Master Level Black Belts in several Japanese martial arts. He has trained with many high level sword sensei from Japan, China and the US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAU_StJ1lk

Now mind you. I have never seen a Japanese kenjutsu teacher move like this but A.H. Lious says if he has high rank....then its the REAL DEAL.

Dan thanks, for the shout out. I do believe in the importance of rank and legitimacy, just as you do my friend.

Ya know, I have met and known some very high ranked Japanese world champion and class Kendoka 7th dan and over. One of which, I even learned from for a couple of years. I have meet a handful of Japanese Kendoka ranging from 4th - 6th dan. I do watch Kendo matches, FWIW.

I don't profess to know anything about kendo though. That is because of my short 2 years experience and training in it. I can't comment much on it other than I have learned it takes many years to be good and knowledgable enough to really talk shop. :)
Last edited by Ah Louis on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ah Louis

Postby Finny on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Ah Louis - note Dan wrote kenjutsu, not kendo. Kendo is a rather uniform art, being governed by one (maybe two, can't remember) mega-organisation.

As in CMA, JMA ain't JMA. By that I mean, most here would happily dismiss the opinion/performance of someone highly ranked in say, Shaolin-do.. and listen intently to the opinion/advice of someone who has spent a decade traveling and studying shaolin lohan.

How would a newbie be able to distinguish or understand the difference in attitudes taken without the experience or background to know the reasons for it.. they can't.

There are people who are highly ranked in arts that the informed laughingly deride - who should be ignored or scoffed at.

Similarly there are unranked people who have spent decades learning legit skills. Only experience and research can provide the ability to make an accurate determination of which is which.

Just something to consider..
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Finny wrote:Ah Louis - note Dan wrote kenjutsu, not kendo. Kendo is a rather uniform art, being governed by one (maybe two, can't remember) mega-organisation.

As in CMA, JMA ain't JMA. By that I mean, most here would happily dismiss the opinion/performance of someone highly ranked in say, Shaolin-do.. and listen intently to the opinion/advice of someone who has spent a decade traveling and studying shaolin lohan.

How would a newbie be able to distinguish or understand the difference in attitudes taken without the experience or background to know the reasons for it.. they can't.

There are people who are highly ranked in arts that the informed laughingly deride - who should be ignored or scoffed at.

Similarly there are unranked people who have spent decades learning legit skills. Only experience and research can provide the ability to make an accurate determination of which is which.

+100
And sadly so.
It shouldn't be this way, but I suspect it always has been. Such as Musashi whiping the floor with so many "Masters" and he had no rank.
The founder of sooo many JMA koryu held no rank.
Takeda Sokaku held no rank.
I would love to quote what various Shihans have said about the state of aiki in Daito ryu and Aikido after meeting me, but I won't.
People with limited minds, limit themselves to rank. Then... they get taken apart and its really all they have left. The smart ones change, but there are no end of dumb asses who cling to it. They have to. It's all they ever had.

The hardest thing to face in budo is to account for *yourself* against capable men who don't give a shit about your rank.
Last edited by Bodywork on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Ah Louis on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Finny wrote:Ah Louis - note Dan wrote kenjutsu, not kendo. Kendo is a rather uniform art, being governed by one (maybe two, can't remember) mega-organisation.

My dear Finny, may I be kind enough to suggest further study into the academics, terminology, as well as language usage related to Japanese budo. I could help you.

Also kind sir, I am really not good at hunting down clips on Youtube of people to sort out. I do associate with legit quality martial arts who are recognized, and sought after. They have the proven and time tested knowledge, abilities and skills. Martial artist that have sound and qualified credentials. Artist which I have been privileged to train with and under. I too have legit credentials that reflect the standards of the schools I am trained in. I am certified by a top well respected and recognized school with high standards. Those standards are a reflection of myself. FWIW, we can call it an Ivy league school of martial arts. The other schools I have been certified in are not Ivy League, more like high school. I thought all I need to make my way in the martial arts world was a per se high school diploma. I was young, and didn't know any better. I didn't care about all that stuff. I was green and myopic in my youth, who isn't. Most of us are. As time when on, and the more schools I trained in it became evident to me, all that stuff does matter.

Like I couldn't walk into a gym and start a self defense class without people asking me all that stuff. Other martial artists judged me buy that stuff, and I them. It doesn't end there, I can't tell you how many times I am asked all that stuff. That stuff matters, it is currency. Maybe not to you. But, a hell of lot of other people all that stuff does matters. It matters a lot. Martial arts is no different in this regard than any other profession.

I simply don't have the interest or the time to spend hunting down and discussing other people on Youtube.

You and yours have a happy holiday
Ah Louis

Postby Bodywork on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:03 am

Ivey league?
According to who?
Some, would call it high school. Others would just ask you step up and show demonstrable skills. Some would look at someone's school, and their teachers skills and be distinctly unimpressed and disinterested. Hell, some would say "You've got to be kidding?" Just depends on who you ask.
As many here have already told you, most senior people are smart enough to not care at all. Budo standards have made rank all but meaningless.
The world is full of Shihans, and lineage holders, awarded for good attendance as much as others who have skills of varying degrees.
The idea of a ranking system started well, but became utterly worthless due to pressure from the bottom up *for rank.* It started in the middle ages and went down hill from there. It is a promise... of nothing. You get what you get, some good, some bad, and the extremes; the truly great, and the embarrassing. In my view the Japanese arts are among the worst in that regard.
Last edited by Bodywork on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby Ah Louis on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:14 am

Bodywork wrote:

+100
And sadly so.
It shouldn't be this way, but I suspect it always has been. Such as Musashi whiping the floor with so many "Masters" and he had no rank.
I would love to quote what various Shihans have said about the state of aiki in Daito ryu and Aikido after meeting me, but I won't.
People with limited minds, limit themselves to rank. Then... they get taken apart and its really all they have left. The smart ones change, but there are no end of dumb asses who cling to it. They have to. It's all they ever had.

The hardest thing to face in budo is to account for *yourself* against capable men who don't give a shit about your rank.

Dan my friend, I am not one to say you can't have an opinion. You can hang with Japanese martial arts guys who are high ranked and are in organization, rub elbows, and throw back some beers. And you can tell them all the things your saying here, and your opinion of how rank is unnecessary and what you don't like about the Japanese system. I get it. It is different from me, the high ranked people am around and are in organizations, where I learn from, and eat grub with, I don't disagree with why they are ranked, or the value of the rank. One Japanese menkyo kaiden said to me, when I refused politely my rank, said to me. I was being rude, and disrespectful. He continued with a bunch of other things about the value of rank and what it represents, and how I was, for the lack of a better word, juvenile in my attitude. I was using a small mind. I then graciously accepted the rank realizing how foolish I was. And so did everyone else thinking it was a good thing that day not to accept ranking as a sign of humility.

I don't care what it is or means to others, or how they got it and all that rot. Too many people in the world to do such a thing. But, I value my rank and credentials. It is a reflection in part of how much I respect those who awarded it to me and the art they are devoted to as well. It is like an onion, there are many layers. All too often people only see the top layer.
Last edited by Ah Louis on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ah Louis

Postby Ah Louis on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:16 am

Bodywork wrote:

+100
And sadly so.

Um Dan, my friend. Takeda Sokaku did have rank. He was a samurai, who refused to be anything thing else during the start of the Meijin restoration, a warrior out of time. Takeda was school trained and given credentials in the arts he studied. Kenjutsu, Daito ryu and Sumo he didn't, he was trained by his father in that. Who was ranked and more than likely was qualified to teach.

Musashi's kenjutsu style was of the Yoshioka Clan part of the Kyohachiryu. One of the eight major kenjutsu styles in Kyoto. The swordsmen of the Yoshioka Clan had been instructors for the powerful Ashikaga Family for four generations.

This is a very famous fight where Musashi killed Yoshioka Seijuro. He was a master of the Yoshioka School and head of the Yoshioka family. The fight was outside of Rendaiji Temple in Northern Kyoto on March 8, 1604. Musashi's killed Yoshioka.

Then there was Yoshioka Denshichiro the second head of the family Yoshioka, who also was trained and schooled.

Then there was the 12 year old or so, Yoshioka Matashichiro duel where Musashi charged and beheaded the kid. So I guess the kid doesn't count. He never lived long enough to qualify.

And this is the same for all the other 57 duels Mushashi had. All ranked, qualified and well trained instructors of students. Like Musashi.

People always fall into that myth of "so and so" [great martial artists] didn't have rank or qualifications. But, the truth is they did. They had koryu and not Jigoro Kano system credentials.
Ah Louis

Next

Return to Been There Done That