Kua Movement

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Kua Movement

Postby Ed Ladnar on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:28 pm

A good distinction between moving without kua and moving with kua around 0:22?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zlEAGKbaGE
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Re: Kua Movement

Postby wiesiek on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:47 am

distinction between use of one and two vectors of power in one move
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Ed Ladnar on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Isn't moving the kua equivalent to adding different "vectors of power"?
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Ed Ladnar wrote:Isn't moving the kua equivalent to adding different "vectors of power"?

Different from what?

What is your main source of body movement and how do you differentiate it from others?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ed Ladnar on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:20 pm

Well, the body is supposed to move as one unit. So your main source of body movement is the whole body, moving as one. Doing that requires kua, dantien, bows - I have a good idea what bows and kua are, dantien I'm not so sure, but ya know, it's muscley bits of stuff, sort of, in the middle to lower torso sort of area, but also the whole body, duh. The question is how do you manipulate your muscles and joints to produce unified movement. Because your joints move as rotating bows, you can create a lot of different "vectors" of force, right? Using yin and yang is what allows you to move around and/or through your opponent's force, right?
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Ed Ladnar wrote:Because your joints move as rotating bows, you can create a lot of different "vectors" of force, right?

You can do that, but it depends.
Coordinated movement is not the same as whole body movement. Whole body movement doesn't need to be coordination of individual movements.

If you want to create different sources of movement from different body parts, you should treat them as separate parts, working with them separately, and later coordinate the different sources of complementary or contradictory body movements into one movement. How well can you keep the integrity of forward momentum, the one of rising the spine, and the one of the gua as you coordinate it all together? If you can keep complementary and contradictory movements separated as you move everything together, you have what I call a three dimensional coordination of body structure. Then your power and structure will be supported from different directions, enhancing both stability and destructive power.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ed Ladnar on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Would you say that the separation of complimentary and contradictory movements is creating yin and yang? Can you describe what is a complementary vs contradictory movement? I think understand the idea of opposing forces present at the same time in the same movement, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "complimentary" movement versus a "contradictory" movement. Complimentary or contradictory to what?
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Postby Bao on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:18 am

Ed Ladnar wrote:Would you say that the separation of complimentary and contradictory movements is creating yin and yang?

It can be

Can you describe what is a complementary vs contradictory movement?

Complimentary: rising and turning
Contradictory: stopping power in XY or stomping in baji.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby front on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:00 am

I understand whole body movement in the context of internals as sustaining opposing forces in all body parts all the time. The external movement is irrelevant as long as internally you keep the omnipresence of the opposing forces.
The main purpose of kua is to transmit and redirect without significant loss kinetic energy from legs to torso and from torso to arms that ultimately will create kinetic chains from foot to hand.
front
Santi

Postby Bodywork on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:11 am

The movement of kua is a study of unified opposites moving toward whole body power.
Interestingly enough....
Not a single word of what kua is...
And
How to coordinate them to do that very thing. ;) ::)

Video
The demonstrator is moving to his own left over and over. What is his right kua doing?
Then...
How does it make mechanical advantage?

I would ask/prefer, that the people who have trained with me didn't answer this.
Last edited by Bodywork on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby littlepanda on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Ed Ladnar wrote:A good distinction between moving without kua and moving with kua around 0:22?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zlEAGKbaGE

The origin of the movement seems to be from the waist rather than from the kua.

Here is another video of kua movement. Start at 4:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouao4HvSK9c

Last edited by littlepanda on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlepanda
Anjing

Postby Ed Ladnar on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:55 pm

I like the first video better. You don't think the guy in the first video is moving his femoral heads in the sockets?
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Postby littlepanda on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:28 am

Ed Ladnar wrote:I like the first video better. You don't think the guy in the first video is moving his femoral heads in the sockets?

In the first video you posted the guy is definitely moving his femoral heads in the sockets but the movement is initiated from the waist rather from the kua. Whereas in the second video the movement starts from the kua.

littlepanda
Anjing

Postby front on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:25 am

littlepanda wrote:In the first video you posted the guy is definitely moving his femoral heads in the sockets but the movement is initiated from the waist rather from the kua. Whereas in the second video the movement starts from the kua.

I disagree. Kua and dantien work together and it is hard to distinguish sometimes what started first.
front
Santi

Postby wiesiek on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:46 am

Bodywork wrote:Video
The demonstrator is moving to his own left over and over. What is his right kua doing?
Then...
How does it make mechanical advantage?

I would ask/prefer, that the people who have trained with me didn't answer this.

small circle /8 pattern part/,
advantage - when you follow his move adding even small amount of force has devastating potential .
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Next

Return to Been There Done That