Dan Harden and Roy Goldberg in Massachusetts Nov 11-13

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Dan Harden and Roy Goldberg in Massachusetts Nov 11-13

Postby Bodywork on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:31 am

Ancient traditions and modern combatives
Aiki-two sides of the same coin
Roy is a 7th Dan and Kyoju Dairi. The only westerner to hold such Ranks in Daito ryu. He and Dan will be presenting for the first time, their personal work and exploration of Daito ryu.
Participants will explore:
*The foundational bodywork and breath training in Daito ryu.
*The solo work to kata
*The traditional pathway of waza and how the body work supports technique
*Advanced applications for use in more stressful environments.

The location will be in central Massachusetts, however the venue will be fluid dependent on the numbers who sign up. Space will be limited.
Cost are $300.00 for all three days.
Please contact Dan Harden by email at: [email protected]

Further information will be placed on Dan's website

[edited 1X by Tom to show change in location]
Last edited by Tom on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bodywork

Re: Dan Harden and Roy Goldberg in Florida Nov 11-13

Postby jaime_g on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Ohh, this is going to be awesome. I can hear many people grinding their teeth ;D

Please, make another in Europe
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Marko on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:44 am

+1 I was really pleased with hearing this news. I too hope they make it across the pond :)
Marko
Anjing

Postby Bodywork on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:07 am

Marko wrote:+1 I was really pleased with hearing this news. I too hope they make it across the pond :)

He has expressed an interest in England and the continent.
He doesn't do many seminars. He just wasn't interested. He's semi-retired now, so I am trying to drag him out to teach the art and also to show what we have been doing together. We'll see how that goes after we do a seminar.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:33 am

jaime_g wrote:Ohh, this is going to be awesome. I can hear many people grinding their teeth ;D

Roy and I have shared many laughs over the antics of the many internet jocky DR defenders on Aikiweb and E-budo. Guys who patted each other on the back and pounded their chests over their "legitimacy" and low level rank, taunted and chastised, all in an attempt to shut down and control the conversation. Then you had the forum moderators and owners who supported them!
It really is funny to see men talking out of their ass repeatedly...!
Its going to be even more comical considering that those same guys?
They based the legitimacy and authority of their entire argument over?
Rank and affiliation!
Which will leave them no basis for an argument and no where to go, later this year.
Then their real agenda will shine through.
What did I say through the years?
"The truth, will out!"
Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:45 am

Hey, I have to say that it seems like a really reasonable rate for three days in FL. More like bar money for some. I don''t know anything about aiki arts, but I think anyone who wanted to know more would find the opportunity hard to resist.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:00 am

Steve James wrote:Hey, I have to say that it seems like a really reasonable rate for three days in FL. More like bar money for some. I don''t know anything about aiki arts, but I think anyone who wanted to know more would find the opportunity hard to resist.

Thanks, Steve
Travel, hotels, food and expenses on our end, plus splitting the gate!!
Aiki:
To have it make sense, think of aiki like the internals and the expression of them in jins in internal arts.
Just like the Chinese version; the vast majority in the Japanese arts don't really have much, and what little they have, they learned only to express in techniques. They have never felt it or seen it used in a more aggressive and free format. Further, they idea of aiki being a stand alone skill from the body outward they have never learned. What makes matters worse is that the highest level people talked about, but very few ever really taught it.
It is very rare (really all but unheard of) to see guys show up and do both.
Bodywork

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Oh, it's just that I know lots of people who've paid substantially more for substantially less time. For those who make claims it seems like an opportunity they couldn't afford to miss. Best of luck with the event (though I'm sure it's unnecessary).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Steve James wrote:Oh, it's just that I know lots of people who've paid substantially more for substantially less time. For those who make claims it seems like an opportunity they couldn't afford to miss. Best of luck with the event (though I'm sure it's unnecessary).

It's really, old news for many in the Japanese community. A BTDT thing.
I keep trying to bring in more of the high level traditional guys from different arts, so that people can see it expressed in their art, then see it without a fixed form. Goldberg is among the highest level in certain aiki circles. So again, it helps move the discussion forward in a clean environment.
Bodywork

Postby Marko on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Bodywork wrote:
Marko wrote:+1 I was really pleased with hearing this news. I too hope they make it across the pond :)

He has expressed an interest in England and the continent.
He didn't do many seminars. He just wasn't interested. He's semi-retired now, so I am trying to drag him out teach the art and show what we have been doing. We'll see how that goes after we do a seminar.

That would be great :) I wish you all the best with the seminar! I hope it will be a smash hit, and that some who attend write their impressions on it for the rest of us.
Marko
Anjing

Postby I-mon on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:22 pm

Sounds like a great event, if it were anywhere near me I would be there for sure. Agree with Steve on the very reasonable price.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Pero on Sun May 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Well, this isn't directly related to the event (sorry :)), but I enjoyed watching this video about Hayawo Kiyama (mostly Roy Goldberg talking):
Torchbearers: The Legacy of Kiyama Shihan
Pero
Santi

Postby Bodywork on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:19 am

Roy has just received the third scroll: hiden Ogi (secret mysteries)
This marks him as one of few in the Daito school to have received this honor and thee, only, Westerner (non-Japanese) to have achieved 7th Dan and the third scroll.
Congratulations to Roy.
Bodywork

Postby Rabbit on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:40 am

And what does it say? :)
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:36 am

Many people know that I had closed my dojo this last winter to take care of personal matters.

And now that many people know that Roy and I have been training together for years, going back 25 years or so, I surprised my own crew by reopening the dojo and having Roy teach the inaugural class. It was quite a surprise for many as we have been keeping this all under wraps.
Although it has been fun listening to all the misinformed internet chatter over the years.

I'll post more when I get time.
Dan

Sitting having lunch with my teacher this afternoon. I told him the events of last night.
He asked me....what did I learn?
I told him that I probably learned more about the Daito-ryu system in 4 hours than I might in 4 years at a dojo.
The down and out? Felt that.
The Sangen stick? Yep, that too.
The yolk!
The aiki body?
The "Drop"
The connected nature...of it all?

Yes...yes...and yes.
As for Aikido?
The hand placements that were lost, or at least, to the masses (the Ikkyo pin?)
Where did they get those incredible elbows? And those beautiful paint strokes?

I didn't tell my Shihan anything that he didn't know, but I do hope these two meet in the future.

If there's a chance to train with Roy Goldberg again, either within or out of a seminar atmosphere, please inform him, I'd be there.

He is a shining example of a seeker that has done, and continues to do the work.
Last edited by Bodywork on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Next

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups