Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby Wuji on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Hello everyone.

I have been doing a family style of Xingyiquan, called "Wuji style Xingyiquan. I have been doing this for the better part of 16 years (I started learning from my Shifu when I was 9), though he past away a few years ago. Xingyi is my life and I enjoy it very much, I hope to teach martial arts for a living in the future when finances allow. Outside of that, I hope to start learning Tajiquan in the future, preferably Chen style, and a Gao style Baguazhang from a friend of mine. I don't know which will come first, that really depends on the time. Though I would like to offer all three classes at the studio I plan to open up.

Besides that, I have a second degree black belt in TKD, though I haven't done anything with that in many years (sense I started really pursuing using and trying to understand Xingyiquan more). I have 6 months of training in Wing Chun, going rather frequently, and I enjoyed it. Though after 6 months I think I have enough of an understanding to practice a lot of it on my own from instructional material, and meeting with my teacher once a month now (just to make sure what I'm doing is right).

Outside of martial arts, I play a few games, but I'm mostly a family man. I work construction right now so most of my time is taken up through out the week. Though in the future I plan on opening up a school and hopefully quitting the day job if everything goes how I'm hoping it does. Anyway, I think that is enough for an introduction.
Wuji
Santi

Postby willie on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:02 am

Hi

:)
Last edited by willie on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
willie

Postby arustyrednail on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:43 am

hi r.s.f,

i've just joined the forum - looking forward to discussion

i live in auckland, new zealand and have been learning
a mixed form - mostly taiji and bagua - some xingyi too

i tried a little aikido in the eighties and studied chen
taiji with malisa ng in auckland for a few years - then
some time teaching a taiji based exercise set to senior
citizens. malisa is an 'indoor student' of zhu tiancai.

my teacher is guo hu - 'tiger' - and speaks almost no
english so i'm learning purely by copying with correction

tiger is 75 and was a professional kung fu coach in xi'an
before moving to nz with his family not too long ago.

i've asked tiger (through translators) about the roots
of his form - he just says he's had five main teachers
so i'm still not sure what the lineage of his style is but
i have found out a few things - he started practicing
when he was 8; his first form was broadsword; when
he was young he did hand conditioning like slapping
leather bags on wood and plunging fingers into beans;
tiger has boxed western style and i'm sure there is
more; his xingyiquan is shanxi - i don't know what style
the bagua is - but when asked he rates dong haichuan,
cheng tinghua and sun lutang; the taiji we practice is a
( i think ) the standardised 24 and 42; the form in the
video below is bagua-taiji that tiger has been working
on for thirty years.

kind regards,

adam

tiger guo's bagua-taiji - https://youtu.be/wCc6q5ENbJc
Last edited by arustyrednail on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
arustyrednail
Santi

Postby Wilhite on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Hello,
I guess I forgot to do this. I'm Chris. I am an aging newbie, having started training almost seven years ago at age 35. Started off with Wenching Wu, learning Kung fu, but got hooked on baguazhang a little over five years ago, then xingyiquan shortly thereafter. Moved to Portland in 2012 and started training yiquan and Chen Taijiquan with Gregory Fong until he passed away (RIP). I've taken a couple workshops with the Chen brothers, but I'm still obsessed with baguazhang and xingyiquan, especially the most fundamental and basic details. I also recently did a bagua walking workshop with Andrea Falk. I was very impressed with her skill.
I also drink a lot of tea and listen to a mixture of jazz and punk rock. :)
Wilhite
Santi

Postby winhawkman on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:03 pm

Greetings...

I've done bunch of things since pre-teen...
Also lived and worked in Asia (Japan mostly), but currently in SF Bay Area.

Karate (Goju-Ryu, w/Gosei Yamaguchi) 1976-1982
Various southern styles (Chou, Hung) 1980-1982
Northern styles via Wu Tan 武壇 (studied various teachers, but mostly with M. Oyanagi) 1982-Present
- Baji/PiKua/Bagua/MiTsong Liu Yun Qiao劉雲樵 lineage
- Chen Taji Du Yi Zhe 杜毓澤 lineage
- Also dabbles in XingYi, Yang Taji, Long fist, QiGong etc.

I currently practice mostly Baji/BaGua/MiTsong
Recently started to teach privately.
===========
猛如虎,狠如鷹,滑如油,冷如冰
winhawkman
Santi

Hh

Postby Choppingwood on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Dd
Last edited by Choppingwood on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choppingwood
Santi

Postby wude on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Last edited by wude on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wude
Santi

Postby san5324 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:34 am

I am sorry, I actually searched for it but I could not find the introduction part.

My name is sander, originally from holland but live in China for 7 years now where I study, work and practice wushu.
In my 7 years I have had 3 teachers. First one is my main internal style teacher, he is from Hebei province and have been practicing wushu since he was 6, His main styles are baji, pigua, hebei xingyi and taiji. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liXPv5gIQzo This is 1/4 of the dvd. He has been teaching me for 6 years, the last 3 years from out of his house.

My second teacher was a local teacher from Hangzhou. I cant seem to open youku from outside of China so I can not put it in here. He was mostly my tanglang and huo quan (活拳) That is his family style, it is basically sanda in a taolu.. I havent been practicing with him for some time because of back problems and he lives a bit too far.

My third teacher is my Chen taiji teacher from Henan. I just started to practice with him for about 8 months.

Nice to meet everybody and if somebody has questions regarding Hangzhou, please lemme know :)

san.
san5324
Santi

Postby Adam.C on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:25 am

Hi all,

Long time lurker but never got around to posting!

My name's Adam, I'm 25 and I'm from Northern Ireland.

I've relatively little experience with TCMA, I did about half a year or so of Yang Style Tai Chi which I enjoyed but had to stop due to time constraints (full time job, part-time university and a lot of travelling due to living in the middle of nowhere!).

I also did a little Magui Bagua for a month or so and found it really interesting.

Now that I've got time again I'm reaching back out to the Bagua instructor to see if I can attend class agian as well as hoping to take Chow Gar lessons, unfortunately the latter are private classes only so I'm not sure how sustainable it will be due to the cost.

Anywhos! Just wanted to say hi.

Edit: Oh I should probably include I've done a load of other martial arts over the years, just not chinese in origin. I did Taekwondo and Taijutsu for years as well as HEMA while living in England. I currently study Kenjutsu once a month (3 hours trip there and back so I usually leave early on a Saturday and gone home late at night) and have sometimes Iaido (although due to the time of classes and the location it's hard for me to make it).
Last edited by Adam.C on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam.C
Santi

Postby WuKong on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:07 am

Hello everyone,

I have been reading these boards for a while, great stuff on here and love the overall vibe. I train baguazhang and taijiquan, for about a year and a half, and I love it.
Looking forward joining in some discussions with a great trappist beer at hand 8-)

Greetings,
WuKong
Santi

Postby WuKong on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks for the welcome. Orval would be my favourite ;D
WuKong
Santi

Postby Wordlessnature on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:50 am

Hello,

I'm a 10 year practitioner of the martial arts. I've trained in several styles, but most of all in Uechi Ryu karate, Yang style taijiquan, Danzan Ryu jujitsu, Aikido, and Wing Chun. I don't really differentiate unless I have to, for I've found good movement and structure are good, period. Most importantly, if what I'm doing can deal with pressure, then I keep doing that. If it fails to work except when intoxicated and alone (with or without incense and candles), then I let it go.

I really enjoy this forum for its no-nonsense treatment of a subject which really, at its core, has little to do with talking.

Cheers!
Wordlessnature
Santi

Postby xingyijesse on Sun May 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Hello. My name is Jesse Conley and I train under Yusen Yang in Zhezong Gao Bagua. I used to be a member here but needed some growning up. Lol I hope I can be a better participant here now. Thanks for the add.
xingyijesse
Santi

Postby Neldolas on Mon May 02, 2016 3:38 am

Hi, I'm Neldolas, Guilhem is my real name. I'm from France and although I've never trained in kung fu (be it internal or external) I'm very interested in it.
Neldolas
Santi

Postby mattj on Tue May 03, 2016 6:37 am

Hi, my name is Matt, I live in Colorado between Boulder and Denver. I've taken various martial arts over the years but am looking into seriously practicing an IMA.
mattj
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan