RSF Origins

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

RSF Origins

Postby KEND on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:55 am

Looking at 'RSF what is it' brought back memories. For the people who joined recently a brief history. RSF evolved from EmptyFlower a forum basically for Hsing yi founded by David DeVere around 2000. It was a little different from other forums, possibly a little more intellectual, covering a range of subjects outside martial arts, which may have helped it survive. David died in 2012 [obit. below] still a comparatively young man, for those who knew him, a sad day.
I joined around 2001 and found it was a site like no other, smart people with strong opinions, and I posted regularly.
After David's death the name of the site was taken by a member and there was doubt that the site would survive. Thanks to Felipe Bido and other enthusiasts it did survive and flourishes to this day.
So let us pay respects to the founder David and the members who helped the site to survive, help by posting, don't lurk in the shadows, recommend it to your MA friends, there is a lot of information here, inside and outside the martial arts

In Memory of David DeVere
September 23, 1968 - June 6, 2012
Obituary
David N. DeVere, 43, of Phoenix, AZ., passed away while in hospice from liver and renal failure, on June 6, 2012. He was a gifted artist and web designer for the film industry. David had a heart of gold and a sharp wit. One of his passions was to make people laugh. He was loved by so many people and will be deeply missed.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: RSF Origins

Postby Strange on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:54 am

keepin it real
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:30 am

Thank you KEND, good being nostalgic sometimes. I visited the old EF from 2001 and became a member about 2004 I think.

Just want to add that the ol' EF was divided into two forums. One kept the name "empty flower" and the other of the fractions survived.

There are not many active MA boards today. Maybe the age of the members contribute to this forum is still such an active place. Hope it will continue to live and prosper. :D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:31 pm

Tom wrote:
Requiescat in pace, David. Your community lives on.

By starting EmptyFlower David DeVere did a lot to help expose many people, me included, to the internal arts of Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, and Taijiquan.

If I recall correctly, the original forum software did not save threads long term, so a lot of great stuff from the early days faded away and was unfortunately lost (I remember a thread called "Why Taijiquan?" that got me interested and started me on the path to learning Tai Chi).

The RSF forum has slowed down a bit since those days due to people leaving, getting banned, or simply using Facebook groups...but this forum still has its place in the community.

+ R.I.P. DDV +
chud
Great Old One

Postby Morty on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:57 am

I stumbled upon emptyflower (the awesome web site, that is) in 2002 or so. All the old greats on the forums also helped my practice immensely. Somehow, the discussions seem to have been meatier and thicker with useful stuff back then... or maybe I'm just too old these days ;D

Old classics such as "Tighten the grain path" , "Break yo hip", "Unretouched photo", Sifu Z, and Felipe's practice images doing the eagle and bear form (not to mention the rum bottle photos) will always stick with me.

I'll drink one to DDV.
The essence is shut the fuck up and train.
Morty
Mingjing

Postby dragonprawn on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:14 am

Perhaps appropriate that I post for the first time in a long time on this thread. I was on the old ef and some of you know me. Good to know rsf is still up and running. I look forward to reading some threads and chiming in here and there.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:47 pm

If you wish to pay homage to David the best way is to make the site strong
The current bias and promotion of cliques on site is getting a lot of good people to leave
The site is becoming a forum for certain commercial endeavours and cult groups
One way to make it strong and transparent is to make sure people show what groups they belong to
It would help if people also showed not only how long they trained but when they began and when they name several arts if they were trained concurrently or consecutively
When you add up some peoples training in arts it adds up to more than their age
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Gee tom I thought what I said was reasonable
If someone else had got as vindictive as you just did you would want to call them to task
I just asked for is all to work a bit harder to make the site stronger
I like a lot of what goes on here and think in my own small way I contribute
That is obviously not your view
And to go to the old bumper sticker of love it or leave it
Please
I won't reply on this again
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Finny on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:51 am

I thought what Tom said was pretty reasonable - there have indeed always been cliques.

Ongoing negativity does no one any good.

Reform, tighter moderation, commercial additions have all been suggested over the years. The character of eF/RSF has always run counter to those ideas - the beauty of eF is the laissez-faire community approach.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:25 am

The forum is comparatively calm nowadays. Years ago it abounded with trolls and egomaniacs, they came they went, the level of debate has become more civilized. The strength lies in having a place to go where you can discuss your passion, the MA's but also the other things that make up your life
Incidentally I don't know if the photo archives still exist but there were some of David when ven. Fish and I visited him in,
I believe, 2001
KEND
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:05 am

No sooner done than said. Oh, wait a minute, that is a different activity.....

Anyway, here is a link to the photos.

http://ef.sifuondemand.com/crushing/visit/visit01.html
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:19 am

Wow. Seeing those pics again for the first time in.... well over a decade! That really brings back some memories of the old days on the forum...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:47 am

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Wow, this place has such a history. I bet it was pretty wild back in the day.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:15 pm

The only person not named in the photos is the one in the blue shirt
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:35 pm

I think Wayne made a good point. Empty flower was like a bar - you could talk shit and have fun. RSF has become more like a playground where everyone wants to be on the side of the bully.

RIP David - we had some great chats on the side.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan