Tsurugi (Dave Bolton)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Tsurugi (Dave Bolton)

Postby Patrick on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:07 am

What happened to him? There seems to be no trace left of him and his training protocol, which is unfortunate.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Re: Tsurugi (Dave Bolton)

Postby tsurugi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:48 am

Hi Patrick

I'm still alive - just don't post on the internet much - just saw my name mentioned and couldn't even remember my login to respond :-\ .

I'm busy running Manchester Bagua teaching Luo de Xiu's Yizong Bagua and Xingyi material - http://www.manchester-bagua.org/

https://www.facebook.com/manchesterbagua/

I teach three classes a week plus privates and have just run successful seminars in Manchester for Luo Laoshi and his current senior student in Taiwan Simon Finn, I'm currently learning Luo's Chen pan ling taiji material, crosstraing a bit in Lancashire Catch Wrestling, and we're just at the moment re doing the website for the school so it's compatible with all platforms and is a bit more up to date.

as far as the training protocol (W.A.T.C.H) goes the book is still available on Amazon - https://read.amazon.co.uk/kp/embed?asin=B008C2MRUO&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_HEw1xbMG15Q7Y

and is selling steadily -

For a while I was involved with a potential investor who had a director attached to the project and the plan was to shoot an instructional dvd (we even got as far as scouting locations - we were going to shoot it in the historic victorian baths in Manchester. Unfortunately they wanted to have too much input into the actual book - they wanted it re-written in a more populist style, wanted to rebrand it cashing in more on Sandow's name, wanted to then be co-owners of the concept and book itself and for me to have a youtube presence, sell phone app's etc...

there seemed to be the genuine prospect of making some money - and of making them even more - but only if I changed things round and put myself out there in a way I was uncomfortable with and radically changed the message of the book to one I wasn't entirely happy with. It took me a while to extricate myself from the "agreement" even though absolutely no money had changed hands and nothing had been signed - they still felt this was somehow "our project" now even though they brought nothing concrete to the table. Oh well live and learn.

The current plan is to do a second edition - there has been a follow up study to the Mcmasters university study I used in the original book and some interesting stuff has turned up re de arte gymnastica by Mercurialis - and then sell it as a downloadable ebook with an embedded video clip for each exercise from a dedicated website that would include articles / history etc and possibly a forum/ members area etc

My partner Caron is currently lecturing at Salford University on their sports rehab degree and is working towards her phd ( actually she just had some papers published - one on movement and cognition and one on the effects of traditional martial arts forms on balance and proprioception! - http://www.carondoyle.co.uk/accreditation/ )
the plan is still to design a study were we can use emg on someone using the protocol versus controls using conventional resistance and measure strength and hypertrophy effects - just need an angle that would be sufficiently interesting to the scientific comunity (or at least the people in control of the budget!)

if there are any developments I'll let you know

dave
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks a bunch for the update! I am looking forward to more material. And very commendable of you to not simply go for the money.
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:51 am

cool-- look forward to your new volume!

I had bought and read your book some time ago.. (maybe some years)
but just added the exercises to my daily routine a couple months ago...

so far I like the results

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:30 am

Hey Tsurugi,

were you aware of these?

Abstract

In humans, regimented resistance training has been shown to promote substantial increases in skeletal muscle mass. With respect to traditional resistance training methods, the prevailing opinion is that an intensity of greater than ~60 % of 1 repetition maximum (RM) is necessary to elicit significant increases in muscular size. It has been surmised that this is the minimum threshold required to activate the complete spectrum of fiber types, particularly those associated with the largest motor units. There is emerging evidence, however, that low-intensity resistance training performed with blood flow restriction (BFR) can promote marked increases in muscle hypertrophy, in many cases equal to that of traditional high-intensity exercise. The anabolic effects of such occlusion-based training have been attributed to increased levels of metabolic stress that mediate hypertrophy at least in part by enhancing recruitment of high-threshold motor units. Recently, several researchers have put forth the theory that low-intensity exercise (≤50 % 1RM) performed without BFR can promote increases in muscle size equal, or perhaps even superior, to that at higher intensities, provided training is carried out to volitional muscular failure. Proponents of the theory postulate that fatiguing contractions at light loads is simply a milder form of BFR and thus ultimately results in maximal muscle fiber recruitment. Current research indicates that low-load exercise can indeed promote increases in muscle growth in untrained subjects, and that these gains may be functionally, metabolically, and/or aesthetically meaningful. However, whether hypertrophic adaptations can equal that achieved with higher intensity resistance exercise (≤60 % 1RM) remains to be determined. Furthermore, it is not clear as to what, if any, hypertrophic effects are seen with low-intensity exercise in well-trained subjects as experimental studies on the topic in this population are lacking. Practical implications of these findings are discussed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23955603

What We Did
A systematic search of the literature was conducted to identify studies that would potentially be relevant to the meta-analysis. We filtered through the studies and subjected them to rigid inclusion criteria. To meet eligibility, studies had to:
1. Be a randomized controlled trial involving both low (<60% 1RM)- and high-load (>65% 1RM) training
2. Span at least 6 weeks
3. Directly measure dynamic muscle strength and/or hypertrophy
4. Carried out training to momentary muscular failure in both protocols

A total of 13 studies were identified that met inclusion criteria. Three of these studies did not contain adequate data for computation of effect sizes, leaving a total of 10 studies for analysis. Studies were separately coded by two researchers, and we cross-checked our data for consistency. We then randomly chose 3 studies for recoding to ensure there was no “coder drift.” The results of these studies were converted into effect sizes for comparison between conditions.

What We Found:
No significant differences were seen between low- versus high-load training in either strength or hypertrophy, although a trend for greater increases was noted in both conditions.

What These Results Mean
Results of the meta-analysis support the findings of my narrative review on the topic, showing that substantial hypertrophy and even strength can be achieved by training with light loads. Based purely on statistical probability (i.e. the odds that results are due to chance), there was no difference between using heavy and light loads for gaining strength or muscle. However, several things need to be taken into account when drawing evidence-based conclusions.

First, there was a trend for greater results in both strength and hypertrophy. This is a topic that has not been extensively researched, thereby limiting the statistical power of the meta-analysis. The trends noted would suggest that there is actually a difference favoring the heavy load condition, but statistical power was not great enough to sufficiently detect such a difference. Looking beyond basic probability statistics, other analytic measures provide interesting insight into results. Of particular note was the fact that the effect size (a measure of the magnitude of the difference in results) for strength was was markedly higher in the heavy- vs. light-load condition (2.30 versus 1.23, respectively). The 95% confidence interval differential also favored using heavy loads (CI: -0.18–2.32). Moreover, all 9 studies that investigated strength as an outcome favored high-load training, and six of these studies showed a moderate to strong difference in magnitude of effect. In combination, this provides strong evidence that maximal strength gains require heavier loads.

Effect size data for hypertrophy also favored the high- versus low-load conditions (0.82 vs 0.39), although the differential was not nearly as compelling as for strength. Taken in combination with the trend for significance, this suggests a potential advantage for higher-load training when the goal is maximal hypertrophy.

When reconciling findings, the results of our analysis provide compelling evidence that the use of light loads can be effective for increasing muscle size as well as muscle strength. These findings have wide-ranging implications for many populations, particularly the elderly and those with medical conditions that might preclude the use of use of heavier loads (i.e. osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, etc). Alternatively, those seeking to maximize muscular adaptations would require at least some use of heavy loading. Despite an inability to detect significant differences between conditions, the findings indicate a clear advantage for the use of heavier loads to maximize strength gains. There is a suggestion that heavy loads promote greater hypertrophic increases as well, but this inference is not as convincing. With respect to hypertrophy, it can be hypothesized that combining high- and low-loads could optimize fiber-type specific growth across the spectrum of myofiber isoforms. This hypothesis warrants further study.

A primary limitation of the meta-analysis was that all of the studies analyzed were carried out in untrained individuals; no published study to date has evaluated the topic in well-trained individuals. The good news is that I have completed just such a study, where subjects were all experienced lifters. The study is currently in review. I hope to be able to share results and their implications soon. Stay tuned!

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/ligh ... ld-muscle/
Last edited by Patrick on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Gus Mueller on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:44 am

It took me a while to extricate myself from the "agreement" even though absolutely no money had changed hands and nothing had been signed

I find this shocking. Like toaster in the bathtub shocking. It casts doubt on anything else you might say. Colour me disappointed.
Gus Mueller

Postby tsurugi on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:34 am

Gus Mueller - who is this?

why would this cast doubt on anything I say? why would you be disappointed?

the OP wondered what had happened to my book/project - I explained that I was busy trying to develop it with some people who had very different ideas about how the project should go that I was not comfortable with. It trundled along for a while until I changed my mind and eventually opted out - why on earth would this concern you or have any bearing on what I say in the book or elsewhere?
Last edited by tsurugi on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 am

Patrick - thanks for that - interesting and potentially useful
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Gus Mueller on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:55 pm

tsurugi wrote:Gus Mueller - who is this?

why would this cast doubt on anything I say? why would you be disappointed?

the OP wondered what had happened to my book/project - I explained that I was busy trying to develop it with some people who had very different ideas about how the project should go that I was not comfortable with. It trundled along for a while until I changed my mind and eventually opted out - why on earth would this concern you or have any bearing on what I say in the book or elsewhere?

Sorry, perhaps I read too much between the lines. "Extricating" oneself from an agreement that didn't exist, needing to point out that no money changed hands, these things set off my smoke detector. Clearly I overstepped and touched a nerve, and I humbly apologize.
Gus Mueller

Postby Peacedog on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:29 pm

David,

I really enjoyed the book on turn of the century fitness figures.

The look those gentlemen had always intrigued me as it was so specific. Thank you for detailing how they did that. Your fitness model for the exercise demos in the back was likewise interesting as he replicated the look perfectly.

Just curious, who is your editor?

Thanks,

Peacedog
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:02 pm

What? You removed yourself from a business deal you didn't like?

OUTRAGEOUS!

;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Tsurugi is the norths 'Dodgy Dave' ;D

Only kidding mate. hope your well.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:13 pm

What? You removed yourself from a business deal you didn't like?

OUTRAGEOUS!

thanks - I'm glad that's how it sounded to people just reading the lines I wrote and not whatever was apparently between the lines (which I didn't)

Tsurugi is the norths 'Dodgy Dave' ;D

Only kidding mate. hope your well.

I'm good man - hope all's well with you - still in London?

David,

I really enjoyed the book on turn of the century fitness figures.

The look those gentlemen had always intrigued me as it was so specific. Thank you for detailing how they did that. Your fitness model for the exercise demos in the back was likewise interesting as he replicated the look perfectly.

Just curious, who is your editor?

Thanks,

cheers - glad you enjoyed it - the editor was just me I'm afraid - and consequently I've had the text professionally proofread and edited for edition two as I'm not going through that again.

The (reluctant) "fitness model" was me too - so those are the my actual results with the method fwiw - those pics were just taken with a 5 megapixel camera in natural light so in edition 2 and on the website they will be redone by a professional with all sorts of cool stuff like flattering lighting and whatnot.
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:16 pm

Thanks.

Did you notice any fat loss during the process or have you always been very lean?
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks.

Did you notice any fat loss during the process or have you always been very lean?

well - I've always been reasonably lean - but just prior to starting this type of training I was probably the least lean ever for me. I'd messed up my right elbow and for over a year or so I couldn't pick up anything heavy with that hand and supinate at the same time, couldn't do a pull up or pushup or punch fast or with snap. consequently I couldn't really do any conditioning exercises at all outside basic cardio and I looked - while not fat or anything - "soft" with no visible abs or definition anywhere and a definite "pinch an inch layer everywhere

I ended up with visible abs and some definition after about three months and good definition after about six months - there was obviously some level of re-composition going on but I don't know if you could medically describe this as significant fat loss - I didn't measure my body fat with a dexa scan before and after for eg - but I am confident that training like this daily will result in you getting visibly firmer and leaner

A lot of people who are by their own description significantly overweight have written to me and asked if I recommend the method as a way to lose weight and I always tell them that I have no personal experience of doing that and that they should look at caloric restriction plus significantly increased activity first and foremost and that in addition to that this protocol would definitely help them feel and look in significantly better shape.

basically it will very significantly improve the look and neurological function of your muscular system but if that muscular system is hidden beneath and extra 30lbs of fat one wouldn't be able to see those results and the energy used up in the daily 20-30 mins doing the protocol, while helpful, probably wouldn't be enough to shift it on its own.

hope that helps

peacedog - just thought - you asked about my editor...are you an editor by any chance? if so pm me
tsurugi
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan