Tsurugi (Dave Bolton)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Tsurugi (Dave Bolton)

Postby Mr_Wood on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm good man - hope all's well with you - still in London?

yeah still in london, had injury after injury this year so not been able to train much which has been frustrating but apart from that good thanks. I saw you guys had been down the snake pit which looks pretty sweet, lucky you, must be great experience down there, do you incorporate any of what you learn there in class or sparing ?

Glad to see you got your book out after all the hard work you put into it and didn't sell yourself out.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:32 am

I saw you guys had been down the snake pit which looks pretty sweet, lucky you, must be great experience down there, do you incorporate any of what you learn there in class or sparing ?

Glad to see you got your book out after all the hard work you put into it and didn't sell yourself out.

cheers - even though I didn't want to go the way those guys did with the book I can see they were totally right about it being the way to make more money - would definitely have felt wrong for me though ("ie loads of Americanised advertising hyperbole - "amazing results guaranteed" etc...then instagram and youtube etc the whole Joe Wicks approach. I really haven't got the face for instagram I don't think ;D )

training at the snakepit is amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone - Roy Wood is a living legend and a genuine homegrown martial arts master whose knowledge and skill level I would put easily equal and in many cases higher than any of the highly regarded names in CIMA or in fact any martial arts.

Actually the standing grappling aspect and the takedowns from catch are extremely similar to the Gao bagua I train - in some cases identical - and so the catch wrestling fits really well with our stuff and seems to me the ideal way to add some groundwork seamlessly into my own practice.

We spar with sanda rules with boxing gloves on so the majority of the catch stuff is out while free sparring and we just drill it separately as its own thing. Occasionally something will come out though -

i learned this takedown at the snakepit (its basically their version of tomoenage) from a side double wrist lock (standing kimura) set up and then rolling into a simultaneous double wristlock and head scissors - but here I spotted an opportunity for it and my student Pete was able to pull it off from a head lock/overhook situation -

(takedown at about 1.00min in )

Last edited by tsurugi on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:34 am

No, I'm not an editor, but I found your book very well done for an e-book and was curious who you used.

Best of luck with the second edition.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:23 pm

Roy Wood is a living legend and a genuine homegrown martial arts master

Yeah incredible really as it could have easily been lost, looks like he can still move very well considering he must be 70 odd years old now.

Actually the standing grappling aspect and the takedowns from catch are extremely similar to the Gao bagua I train - in some cases identical -

does the catch have any sneaky strikes or grabs to help things along ?
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:44 am

yeah he's seventy odd which is impressive and inspiring when you see/feel him demonstrating

does the catch have any sneaky strikes or grabs to help things along ?

loads - it's full of nasty little details on angle/contact point/ leverage/your own body usage/ using gravity momentum and movement instead of just strength/grinding or sawing the blade of the forearm into specific areas to cause a reaction or enhance an effect - what we would call filing - really really detailed and impressively functional. and painful. and a bit scary. (but of course these are also all present in the bagua - filing, grinding, clamping, twisting, grabbing skin/flesh as a handle, use of the head or foot as a third hand etc... all very similar)

EDIT - I should add actually, if any of you fancy going, be prepared for a non negotiable and grueling work out to start off with (their idea of what constitutes a"light warmup" is somewhat surprising and would probably finish off anyone not already in pretty good condition right at the start) also you will be expected to wrestle competitively. He will teach you stuff in a partner/ application type set up as in the video above with great patience and attention to detail as on a good CMA seminar...but will also expect a high degree of retention of the information, the ability to drill the just learned info with your partner in a self directed manner showing him you "got" what was taught ...and then you will have a winner stays on/king of the ring style mini wrestling tournament between all those present - to see if you can do it under pressure live. The idea of learning wrestling techniques in detail and then ...not wrestling with them just seems mad to these guys. Bit different from the learning approach in your average TCMA class or seminar but well worth it i my opinion.
Last edited by tsurugi on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:08 pm

Sounds mint, proper old school, just how you would hope it would be. You can see in the vid the lad taps pretty quickly, looks like a nasty headlock. I bet Chris loved it with the 'light warmup' ;D
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:25 pm

You can see in the vid the lad taps pretty quickly, looks like a nasty headlock

yeah - a lot of the headlocks/holds are also simultaneously neck cranks at horrible angles - hence me saying its all a bit scary. Not tapping isn't really an option.

I bet Chris loved it with the 'light warmup' ;D

he's well used to it by now - I'm pretty sure he's competing for them soon.
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:49 pm

neck cranks at horrible angles

ouch, only so many of them you wanna practice, almost a preemptive tap when you know its going on.

I'm pretty sure he's competing for them soon.

Quality, pass on my regards please, hope I get to catch up with you guys sooner rather than later.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:37 pm

but here I spotted an opportunity for it and my student Pete was able to pull it off from a head lock/overhook situation -

nice sparring, lots of nice movement, something easily forgotten when you put the gloves on.
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 am

Still reading about this stuff :)

Head over to the land of the light-weights, and we see that their growth can trump that of the type IIs. This collection of data makes a strong argument for the use of heavy weights in training for hypertrophy; greater growth of both fibre-types overall, but still demonstrates that fast-twitch fibres don’t have an innate ability to universally out-grow their type I brothers.

Mitchell et al (9) compared low-load training (3 sets @ 30%-1RM) to failure against two higher-intensity conditions (3 sets @ 80%-1RM, 1 set @ 80%-1RM). At the end of the 10 weeks, whole muscle hypertrophy was similar across the groups (although half for the one set condition), and when looking at the specific fibre types, we see that the type I fibres more than kept up with the type IIs (see Table 1 from the original paper, adapted below). The robust increase in type I CSA while training at 30%-1RM seems supportive of the home-field advantage assertion, although no statistical differences by intensity or fibre type are stated.

http://danogborn.com/underestimating-type-i-fibres/
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan