Best internal guys alive today?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Best internal guys alive today?

Postby phil b on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:47 pm

windwalker wrote:
phil b wrote:I wouldn't say it is necessary for a teacher to have competition experience, but it doesn't hurt. Having watched a big name teacher demonstrate an application that would get your arse handed to you if you tried it in any kind of free exchange, be it the ring, the streets, or a friendly exchange, I would say a little experience of fighting would have prevented such nonsense being shown. Needless to say, I never went back there.

why is it that people have no problems posting links of some teachers or naming names,,,and with others they don't?

"big name teacher"

I would think if one is motivated to post something good or bad, they would post it regardless along with some commentary
or clip showing what they found objectionable or at least give those who practice with
the teacher or even the teacher themselves a chance to respond.

https://www.yelp.com/about

a site thats used for businesses.

Firstly, I'm not naming the teacher because we all know how that would turn out. I have previously been told I don't know what I'm talking about and had personal attacks aimed at me when discussing people I've had hands on experience with. In one thread, I was told I was wrong and knew nothing, for commenting on a video which had my kung fu brother in. The RSF and it's moderators are not impartial.

Secondly, my point is that some teachers are more scholar than fighter. That's fine, both have value, but each should stick to what they know and be honest about it.

Finally, the incident I mentioned is not on video. I was at one of the teacher's regular classes. I could trawl youtube and would probably find something as an example, but to what end? It won't further the ddiscussion.

For some, real world experience is of no importance and nothing will change that.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:34 pm

phil b wrote:
windwalker wrote:
phil b wrote:I wouldn't say it is necessary for a teacher to have competition experience, but it doesn't hurt. Having watched a big name teacher demonstrate an application that would get your arse handed to you if you tried it in any kind of free exchange, be it the ring, the streets, or a friendly exchange, I would say a little experience of fighting would have prevented such nonsense being shown. Needless to say, I never went back there.

why is it that people have no problems posting links of some teachers or naming names,,,and with others they don't?

"big name teacher"

I would think if one is motivated to post something good or bad, they would post it regardless along with some commentary
or clip showing what they found objectionable or at least give those who practice with
the teacher or even the teacher themselves a chance to respond.

https://www.yelp.com/about

a site thats used for businesses.

Firstly, I'm not naming the teacher because we all know how that would turn out. I have previously been told I don't know what I'm talking about and had personal attacks aimed at me when discussing people I've had hands on experience with.

In one thread, I was told I was wrong and knew nothing, for commenting on a video which had my kung fu brother in.

The RSF and it's moderators are not impartial.

Secondly, my point is that some teachers are more scholar than fighter.
That's fine, both have value, but each should stick to what they know and be honest about it.

Finally, the incident I mentioned is not on video. I was at one of the teacher's regular classes.
I could trawl youtube and would probably find something as an example,
but to what end? It won't further the discussion.

For some, real world experience is of no importance and nothing will change that.

thanks for an honest answer.
agree with most of your points.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby ambulocetus on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 pm

I work 60 or 70 hours a week, but I still manage to get in 2 sixty minute classes a week. What I take from this thread is that since I'm 51 and I don't have sufficient health insurance to jump in the ring with professional athletes half my age, then I should just stay home and watch TV. Thanks for the encouragement, Niall. Now I remember why I don't come here much anymore.
MMA makes great fighters; TMA makes great people.
ambulocetus
Santi

Postby liokault on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:08 am

ambulocetus wrote:I work 60 or 70 hours a week, but I still manage to get in 2 sixty minute classes a week. What I take from this thread is that since I'm 51 and I don't have sufficient health insurance to jump in the ring with professional athletes half my age, then I should just stay home and watch TV. Thanks for the encouragement, Niall. Now I remember why I don't come here much anymore.

It depends what your goals are.

I fully believe you can become "good" at your "art" in 2 hours a week of class plus homework, if you run the course for long enough.

I fully believe that you cannot become "good" at “fighting” if you don’t “fight”. It doesn’t have to be full on anything, it just has to be stressful, un-choreographed, of uncertain outcome and with negative consequences for failure.

I fully believe that being good at your art and being good at fighting are not necessarily related.

I fully believe your health care system is totally fucked up. Seriously, in the last 20 or os years, I have broken 3 bones, done my ACL, detached a biceps and notably received a knee to the groin seeing one testicle become a solid lump the size of a large fist, all whilst totally self-employed…just hobble into hospital, fix this please….hobble out after a long wait but top quality care.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Agreed, well put. I would only add that in many arts, fighting is a prerequisite to being good. I don't think a boxer or wrestler would call themselves good if they were not skilled at beating others at boxing or wrestling.
Last edited by I am... on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Silverone on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:58 am

Can I add (Daniel) Wang Yunkuo, Sydney, Australia to the list. Generational teacher of Seven Star Praying Mantis and Tai Yi Tai Chi Chuan. Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and previously 10 years as a self-defence instructor in the Chinese Army. http://www.kungfu-republic.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vG2VqiNdZE
The only thing of which I am certain is my ignorance.
Attributed to Socrates, but who knows?
Silverone
Santi

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:14 am

Someone start a thread titled "best actors alive today". Or "best food available today". Or "best colors ever". They'll be just as informative, useful and productive as this thread has been. :P ::)
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:22 am

me thinkin`, that even better :D
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:35 am

...are alive today.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Talk about bringing out the dead...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan