Haitian machete; short film

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Haitian machete; short film

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:25 am

I like the style of the teacher. He adheres to the sticking as in jian or staff training and using "energy' of the other or being propelled b that energy to reach the target of the Other.
Close to the end, he is "teaching" a son and the son did not move his body positioning or blade angle (it remained static) and the son got a slight cut just to edge above left eye.

Last edited by yeniseri on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Re: Haitian machete; short film

Postby zrm on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Very interesting, thanks.
zrm
Huajing

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:31 am

I doubt the old man can even pass the sobriety test, let alone surviving a real fight involving edged weapons. Nonetheless, it was fun watching his "drunken machete" kung fu.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby I am... on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:57 pm

The only way to truly know his skill level would have been to find out in person.

Not a fan of that blade work as it was shown. For one the hand and lead arm look very vulnerable as it was being played.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby zrm on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:00 pm

I got the impression he was just playing with his students.

There are some vids of his students training here.
Last edited by zrm on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrm
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:17 pm

zrm wrote:I got the impression he was just playing with his students.

There are some vids of his students training here.

That's some good stuff.

Looks like Mike needs to pay a bit more attention, though. Roland tagged him on the throat area exactly where he kept his own hand pinned at least 5 times while I was watching. Slow learner.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:03 am

I doubt the old man can even pass the sobriety test, let alone surviving a real fight involving edged weapons.

I think Millenia of drunken soldiers would not agree with the idea that being drunk precludes you being able to survive a battle with edged weapons.

Just sayin.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:48 pm

shawnsegler wrote:
I doubt the old man can even pass the sobriety test, let alone surviving a real fight involving edged weapons.

I think Millenia of drunken soldiers would not agree with the idea that being drunk precludes you being able to survive a battle with edged weapons.

Just sayin.

S

On the flip side, millennia of military officers would probably agree with the idea that drunken soldiers usually do not survive in battle against sober opponents who are equally trained and armed.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Depends on how drunk, I'm guessing.

I know many people who likely perform the violence dance better with a couple three shots in them.

Fwiw.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:25 am

C.J.W. wrote:I doubt the old man can even pass the sobriety test, let alone surviving a real fight involving edged weapons. Nonetheless, it was fun watching his "drunken machete" kung fu.

This is usually the pattern of practice of non European martial systems, at least in the system/method being taught. It is not aggressive in initial training or strict in adherence to outward manners of skill and precision that is shown.
I doubt that the escaped slaves form Haiti who became the first Republic in the Americas had access to an Armory, access to cannons and systems of strategy based on book knowledge or a fancy Sandhurst or Ecole Militaire!

One does not defeat Napoleon army and France by exhibiting 'softness" without "hardness".
Last edited by yeniseri on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:12 pm

In the second vid, fwiw, I saw that one guy kept his left hand covering his heart and near his throat. To me, that means he knows where not to get cut. Afa the techniques, I think the ultimate idea is "not to get cut." I'd say that people who play or fight with machetes have to learn how to avoid it, regardless of what they look like practicing. Also, Haiti, unlike the Philippines, was not influenced by traditional European blade techniques. So, they weren't as likely to develop specific forms. It's much more improvisational.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Steve James wrote:In the second vid, fwiw, I saw that one guy kept his left hand covering his heart and near his throat. To me, that means he knows where not to get cut. Afa the techniques, I think the ultimate idea is "not to get cut." I'd say that people who play or fight with machetes have to learn how to avoid it, regardless of what they look like practicing. Also, Haiti, unlike the Philippines, was not influenced by traditional European blade techniques. So, they weren't as likely to develop specific forms. It's much more improvisational.

To me, that looks like armor/gaurd. That's about the only easily reachable place where a stray nick can end your life. Putting a bony hand in the way or where it can easily intercept is a really good idea. Asian and Western weapons techniques are all based on formal warfare with centuries of arms and armor races, something that is purely and uniquely Haitian would be developed out of the slave revolts and training without that protective gear.

This is what I was alluding to in my last comment. White boy's off hand is doing a bunch of nonsense.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links