Trump Will be President

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Trump Will be President

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:37 pm

"The federal week in review:
1. Trump fires all Ambassadors and Special Envoys, ordering them out by inauguration day.
2. House brings back the Holman rule allowing them to reduce an individual civil service, SES positions, or political appointee's salary to $1, effectively firing them by amendment to any piece of legislation. We now know why they wanted names and positions of people in Energy and State.
3. Senate schedules 6 simultaneous hearings on cabinet nominees and triple-books those hearings with Trump's first press conference in months and an ACA budget vote, effectively preventing any concentrated coverage or protest.
4. House GOP expressly forbids the Congressional Budget Office from reporting or tracking ANY costs related to the repeal of the ACA.
5. Trump continues to throw the intelligence community under the bus to protect Putin, despite the growing mountain of evidence that the Russians deliberately interfered in our election.
6. Trump breaks a central campaign promise to make Mexico pay for the wall by asking Congress (in other words, us, the taxpayers) to pay for it.
7. Trump threatens Toyota over a new plant that was never coming to the US nor will take jobs out of the US.
8. House passes the REINS act, giving them veto power over any rules enacted by any federal agency or department--for example, FDA or EPA bans a drug or pesticide, Congress can overrule based on lobbyists not science. Don't like that endangered species designation, Congress kills it.
We - progressive, liberal, libertarian and conservative - need to all wake up to what is actually happening to our beloved country.
#UnitedWeStand
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm

What's your point I can find news sites that will refute what you’ve posted and others have.
We can talk about fake news ect.

You and the others seem to have some fear or something going on.

If the election had gone the other way I seriously doubt that any here would say much about it.
I wouldn’t, I wouldn’t like it but it’s part of the a process, one I lived with very directly while serving in the military.

It would seem that many really don’t respect the process unless it goes their way…

“5. Trump continues to throw the intelligence community under the bus to protect Putin, despite the growing mountain of evidence that the Russians deliberately interfered in our election.”

You’ve posted this can you support it?

I find this very interesting as it involves tech.

Can you post any “new” evidence and cite the "interference” I’d like to read it.
So far I have not seen anything, leading people in the industry say there is none.

Unless one is to believe that they have it but can not make it public.

The claim is that it influenced voters, and yet she won the popular vote but lost the electoral vote.
Can you make a case of how this could be achieved by an outside agency?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Two points I'd like to make before bowing out for the night:

1) No, I don't have a fear thing going on. I'm not sure where you are getting that. My immediate future is secure and comfortable, and things are looking up as far as my trajectory is concerned. I do, however, care about what happens to the less fortunate. Trump doesn't.

2) What's my point? My point is that, for the most part, I don't get my economic or social ideas or opinions from news sites or youtube videos like you do. That is my point that I have made over and over. If you want to know about economic history go and read some peer-reviewed monographs on economic history...or even some textbooks.

Post script: I am willing to wait and see about Russia, although you have already as much as admitted that we are all doing it to each other, so your denial that Russia would or did it seems strange. I don't really have a strong opinion on that, especially since you have minced words so many times on the topic. how about the other points? How about the wall? Ready to pay?
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Yeah, #5 on the list could be considered an exaggeration. Otoh, it seems like former intelligence analysts (like ex-CIA chief Woolsey) have dropped Trump. Here's Lindsay Graham on the subject, anyway. He was head of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KABNJjQoZhc
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:48 pm

2) What's my point? My point is that, for the most part, I don't get my economic or social ideas or opinions from news sites or youtube videos like you do. That is my point that I have made over and over. If you want to know about economic history go and read some peer-reviewed monographs on economic history...or even some textbooks.

You kidding me right, you don’t listen to the news, you’ve read some books and arrived at your own conclusions which I’m supposed to accept because?

What if I read the same books and arrived at different conclusions?
You say you care about other people, ok
So do many people, many people including myself have been
affected by past policies I didn’t like but had to deal with it.

whats the point?

“1. Trump fires all Ambassadors and Special Envoys, ordering them out by inauguration day.”

You do know that Obama did the same thing? Or is this not important
What makes it important.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:53 pm

I said I don't get my opinions from the news, not that I don't watch the news. I watch a mix of stations, including FOX.

If you read some economic histories, then we could talk about what it might mean or why we have different opinions after. Of course, the issue would be better framed as having problems or not with the arguments presented in said books. That would be much more productive and educational than getting all of your information from the other sources mentioned.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:30 pm

windwalker wrote:“1. Trump fires all Ambassadors and Special Envoys, ordering them out by inauguration day.”

You do know that Obama did the same thing? Or is this not important
What makes it important.

Lie.

In Break With Precedent, Obama Envoys Are Denied Extensions Past Inauguration Day

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition staff has issued a blanket edict requiring politically appointed ambassadors to leave their overseas posts by Inauguration Day, according to several American diplomats familiar with the plan, breaking with decades of precedent by declining to provide even the briefest of grace periods.

The mandate — issued “without exceptions,” according to a terse State Department cable sent on Dec. 23, diplomats who saw it said — threatens to leave the United States without Senate-confirmed envoys for months in critical nations like Germany, Canada and Britain. In the past, administrations of both parties have often granted extensions on a case-by-case basis to allow a handful of ambassadors, particularly those with school-age children, to remain in place for weeks or months.

Mr. Trump, by contrast, has taken a hard line against leaving any of President Obama’s political appointees in place as he prepares to take office on Jan. 20 with a mission of dismantling many of his predecessor’s signature foreign and domestic policy achievements. “Political” ambassadors, many of them major donors who are nominated by virtue of close ties with the president, almost always leave at the end of his term; ambassadors who are career diplomats often remain in their posts.
Incoming presidents of both parties have often made exceptions to allow ambassadors to wrap up personal affairs and important diplomatic business while their successors were in the confirmation process, which can take months. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Mr. Obama all granted extensions for a few politically appointed ambassadors.

Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell offered particularly wide latitude to ambassadors facing family issues, said Marc Grossman, a longtime diplomat and former top State Department official who is vice chairman of the Cohen Group, a Washington consultancy.

“This was something that was important to Secretary Powell because of his own experience living and serving all over the world, so when people asked him, ‘Could I stay another couple of weeks, couple of months; my kids are finishing school,’ he was very accommodating,” Mr. Grossman said, adding that his flexibility was an “exception” to the general practice. “He was trying to, I think, send a message that family was important.”

Agree or disagree. Those are the facts.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Yes they are and so are these

Why, it’s the most unyielding directive since … Barack Obama’s. Somehow the hyperventilating editorialists of the New York Times forgot that Obama did the exact same thing, notifying all of George W. Bush’s ambassadors that they had to vacate their posts by Inauguration Day.

Fox News recalls the Washington Post reporting the news in December 2008 without the slightest hint of disapproval, or a single heartstring-tugging anecdote about the difficulties faced by the ambassadors and their families:

The clean slate will open up prime opportunities for the president-elect to reward political supporters with posts in London, Paris, Tokyo and the like. The notice to diplomatic posts was issued this week.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ed-crisis/

I mean it should be easy to check right, depending on what "you" want the narrative to be.
The ambassadors have already known what was going to happen for a while,,,, if they did not prepare or have not left their staffs with others who can take over who's fault is that.....

its a lie ? is it?

read about some of Obamas, appointees it is interesting.

The incoming Obama administration has notified all politically-appointed ambassadors that they must vacate their posts as of Jan. 20, the day President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office, a State Department official said.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/200 ... assad.html
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:01 pm

the sweeping nature of the directive suggests that Obama has little interest in retaining any of Bush's ambassadorial appointees.
Most ambassadors, of course, are foreign service officers, but often the posts involving the most important bilateral relations (such as with Great Britain, Japan and India) or desirable locales (such as the Bahamas) are given to close friends and well-heeled contributors of the president.
By Web Politics Editor | December 3, 2008; 10:04 AM

Ya I could see that. Wonder whats different for the "Trump"
Obama, got a free pass on a lot of things...like his appointments
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Obama’s ambassadors to the Bahamas and Luxembourg left their embassies in a state of extreme “dysfunction,” as official reports said of both postings. Ambassador to Luxembourg Cynthia Stroum was such a disaster that members of her staff requested transfers to Iraq and Afghanistan to get away from her.

yep time to clean house....I'd do the same thing.
The staff should be trained to carry on in the event an ambassador dies, or is relived. If their not who's fault is it?
They've know right after "Trump" was elected don't really see what the problem is...
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:45 pm

"The incoming Obama administration has notified all politically-appointed ambassadors that they must vacate their posts as of Jan. 20, the day President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office, a State Department official said.

windwalker
Wuji

So, easy to check, exactly. Google the exact quote from above: i.e. ""The incoming Obama administration has notified all politically-appointed ambassadors that they must vacate their posts as of Jan. 20, the day President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office, a State Department official said."

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+incoming+Obama+administration+has+notified+all+politically-appointed+ambassadors+that+they+must+vacate+their+posts+as+of+Jan.+20%2C+the+day+President-elect+Barack+Obama+takes+the+oath+of+office%2C+a+State+Department+official+said.&oq=The+incoming+Obama+administration+has+notified+all+politically-appointed+ambassadors+that+they+must+vacate+their+posts+as+of+Jan.+20%2C+the+day+President-elect+Barack+Obama+takes+the+oath+of+office%2C+a+State+Department+official+said.&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64l3.1317004j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The first non-news source is "bootsandsabers.com", but that's okay. There were two points that can easily be addressed. Even if orders were given to leave to all, they have been allowed extensions to arrange their departures. It was done as a courtesy.

There's no doubt he has a right to appoint whomever he wants. The point was that --even if they were ordered-- no ambassadors or envoys were forced out on Jan. 20. Obama did NOT do that. Neither did Bush. Neither did Clinton.

yep time to clean house....I'd do the same thing.

We all know you like him because you're like him ;). What else would you do? Maybe it'll provide some insights into Trump's pov.
Last edited by Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:02 pm

I just mean that it would be right to allow people who work for the government overseas the time to clear up their affairs. It's not necessary; it's just nice. Yep, yep, no reason to be that way at all. That's what makes it nice. It contributes to maintaining peace and not creating animosity. We want to be friendly to Russia. Treat Americans in a friendly way first. Since Benghazi, I thought there was a great deal of support for ambassadors (and their staff).
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:12 pm

We all know you like him because you're like him ;). What else would you do? Maybe it'll provide some insights into Trump's pov.

ya and you are too ;)

What don’t you just use “you” whats with the we, you don’t have a view point.
As to what I like, get a clue I like the policies put forth so far, no matter who it was by.
It happens to be him…

“When President Obama requested ambassador resignations before the start of his administration in 2009, a State Department official told Agence France-Presse that requests for extensions by political ambassadors would be looked at on a case-by-case basis:”

As probably the “Trump” will do the same…
is this something he needs to announce to those not concerned ?

always pointing to something that hasn’t happened yet. Need to stop projecting….

If they have any issues with it I'm sure they'll get with the administration and make their case.
As it is, they'er on notice....so far no complaints by them...if there is its between them and the "Trump" team..

Whats the problem?
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:15 pm

So, btw, the WashingtonPost link

from which the quote is taken doesn't lead to an a news story. It's an assertion made in a web op-ed. However, reading the comments below is fascinating. At the time, people who were against Obama were using it to say how unconscionable it was :). The other interesting flashback was when one commentator said --I'm paraphrasing-- 'They'll have to hear questions about Obama's origin as long as we heard about Bush deserting.' I.e., people were promising to hound Obama from the beginning. I know I said it years ago, but there's no way to expect that people are going to be polite with Trump. Shoot. I watched the Republican debates.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:24 pm

I just mean that it would be right to allow people who work for the government overseas the time to clear up their affairs.

They've had 2 months to clear their affairs what's the point?

Their staffs will remain until the new ambassador comes and picks their own.

How do you know what would be nice, ever work for the gov overseas...I have
When they tell you to move, guess what.

You move.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That