Philosophy and reality of Kung Fu

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Philosophy and reality of Kung Fu

Postby jackharrel on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 am

When we talk about Kung Fu we have to take into account its philosophy. We want to say that Kung Fu without its philosophy would be little more than just a cruel science about injury and eradication.
We just want to introduce you about Kung Fu. The most important part of it for you is that its general purpose is self protection. It is very imported you protect yourself in this game because in very ancient times in China real fightings ended in injury and death. Philosophising over respect for one’s opponent or strict loyalty to Buddhist or Taoist principles in the middle of a streetfight is likely to earn the practitioner a ride in an ambulance.
In his writings Sifu David Crook wrote,
Anyone who believes in the [Marquis of] Queensbury rules in the street had better be fully insured.
Source: http://gowingchun.com/philosophy-and-reality-of-kung-fu.html
jackharrel
Santi

Re: Philosophy and reality of Kung Fu

Postby Bao on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 am

There's absolutely nothing on philosophy or why it should be important in that text.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:19 am

I think that a person learning an art which essentially is about harming or killing ones fellow human beings must have a moral philosophy behind it. The mind as a general rule, unless you are psychotic, is immeasurably affected by violence, as evidenced by the number of soldiers with PTSD. This can take the form of meditation or other methods of stilling the mind. Too little attention is paid to this in modern warfare.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 am

KEND wrote:I think that a person learning an art which essentially is about harming or killing ones fellow human beings must have a moral philosophy behind it. The mind as a general rule, unless you are psychotic, is immeasurably affected by violence, as evidenced by the number of soldiers with PTSD. This can take the form of meditation or other methods of stilling the mind. Too little attention is paid to this in modern warfare.

It does within the art itself and the culture that created it.
"modern warfare" ya ok

“I understand the idea that the three doctrines are basically the same: they are each a study of life, each take the mind to be controller of the body, and are purposed to maintain mind and body, to bring longevity to essence, energy, and spirit. With essence, energy, and spirit, we can be calmly civil and boldly martial. Calm and bold, civil and martial – as these things are expanded and have a transformative effect, there will come wisdom and spirituality

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... i-fa-shuo/
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic