Salahuddin Muhammad

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Salahuddin Muhammad

Postby emptycloud on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Last edited by emptycloud on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptycloud

Re: Salahuddin Muhammad

Postby wiesiek on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:48 am

I somehow unable
to watch guys wearing hakamas on big chibelly without smile :)
Last edited by wiesiek on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:18 pm

wiesiek wrote:I somehow unable
to watch guys wearing hakamas on big chibelly without smile :)

You can smile all you want, but you would not want to get locked or hit by him. lol.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:37 am

You`re maybe right,
but,
any aikidoka was able to do me something meaningful in the friendly randori so far...
however,
it not included little rounded shifu ;)
I have Yoshinkan newly open dojo near by, and planning to give them a try, unfortunately teacher doesen`t have it /belly +/, so it may not count .
Have to meet Muhammad ad persona to be sure 8-) .

cheers
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:20 pm

He's not aikido... he is aikijujutsu. His professional background is in executive protection and bail enforcement, and he has worked in some very rough environments. His art is traditional, but he trains and teaches it for practical application, as his teacher did.

If you do have a chance to meet and train with him, someday, I recommend it. A lot of people put on some extra weight, later in life, especially when recovering from injuries and other health issues that force them to slow down a little. However, that does not reduce their lifetime of skill development. I have seen this sensei take down experienced, young, conditioned boxers and other fighters. Don't let appearances fool you. :)

wiesiek wrote:You`re maybe right,
but,
any aikidoka was able to do me something meaningful in the friendly randori so far...
however,
it not included little rounded shifu ;)
I have Yoshinkan newly open dojo near by, and planning to give them a try, unfortunately teacher doesen`t have it /belly +/, so it may not count .
Have to meet Muhammad ad persona to be sure 8-) .

cheers
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:02 am

If you have technique and experience -bigger body mass always give you advantage when meeting somebody with similar technique level .
I know it, from personal experience .
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby emptycloud on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:21 pm

I have been asked to say a few words about any vid posts, give a bit context. However the martial mullah speaks enough himself, (I suspect he does anyway cause I watched it with the sound off)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUipXlXnFjY

Rich
Last edited by emptycloud on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptycloud

Postby Interloper on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:48 pm

emptycloud wrote:I have been asked to say a few words about any vid posts, give a bit context. However the martial mullah speaks enough himself, (I suspect he does anyway cause I watched it with the sound off)

Rich

Well, it does say that it's a lecture, right up front. He is explaining principles and how to deal with various common waza in aikido and jujutsu, and how internal body method functions against opponents using conventional "external" movement.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Interloper wrote:
emptycloud wrote:I have been asked to say a few words about any vid posts, give a bit context. However the martial mullah speaks enough himself, (I suspect he does anyway cause I watched it with the sound off)

Rich

Well, it does say that it's a lecture, right up front. He is explaining principles and how to deal with various common waza in aikido and jujutsu, and how internal body method functions against opponents using conventional "external" movement.

I will listen later, sleepy heads all around and I have lost my earphones..
emptycloud

Postby yeniseri on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:23 am

Language descriptives are precise and to the point!
Excellent presentation and dynamic......I like how he goes into the "empty space quantum" from contact to actual joint application where there is room for opposite reaction but none occurs but this is really oppotunity for such repsonse. One of the first individuals who I have heard to even mention this aspect of application.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:48 am

Yeniseri, here's another one you might like.

Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Here's a new video clip, part of a DVD Salahuddin Muhammad is working on. This one demonstrates some of the ukenagashi (flowing receptions) of his Hontai Hakkei Ryu Aikijujutsu. Enjoy!

Last edited by Interloper on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Ashura on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:38 am

It is interesting to note that Mr Salahuddin makes an efficient use of the ageru/sageru motion which is very typical of the Aiki arts.

I have read that Mr Salahuddin´s skills can be traced back to Kotaro Yoshida, one of Takeda Sokaku´s first student. I recall that he was responsible for introducing Ueshiba Morihei to Sokaku back in Hokkaido at the beginning of the last century.

Yoshida Kotaro, contrary to what has been stated in a famous book (transparent power) was indeed a very skilled martial artist who introduced Datio-ryu to a certain Oyama Masutatsu, founder of the Kyokushin Karate, today´s world´s largest style.

In this is Karate, we can read the following statement from Sosai Oyama about his teacher Yoshida Kotaro:

"...Unrivaled in the fields of Japanese aikido, sword fighting, judo and knife throwing? When Yoshida was young, he never lost a match in reverse hand techniques (gyakute), sword fighting or judo. He always explained that martial arts are for human physical and psychological training and discipline... I have never seen or heard of techniques as wonderful as my teacher's. His mastery of his art can only be called perfection. As an example of just how excellent this man's technique is, I will cite his ability to catch a fly in flight with a pair of chopsticks. This is the type of technique that can be executed only by someone whose movements, techniques and breathing have been perfected to the ultimate... until he was nearly fifty, Yoshida was performing this difficult technique with extraordinary skill."

It is very nice to see that Yoshida´s knowledge somehow made it to the present day and did not simply die out. Thank you Cady for putting the videos.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Interloper on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Thank you, and yes -- there is a lot of aiki-age/aiki-sage, and also very nuanced condensation and expansion, use of sokei-orime (inguinal/femoral process), and breath. Salahuddin Muhammad's teacher, Okazaki Shuji, was a close deshi of Yoshida Kotaro's for many years, and in all trained with him for 14 years. However, Okazaki Sensei also studied koryu deeply, specifically Kukishin Ryu (a weapons art) and Takagi Ryu (a system for bodyguards), and also studied Kosen judo for its newaza.

So, his resulting art was not Daito Ryu (though the aiki and mokuroku do come from that) but an amalgam, adapted and expressed by Okazaki Sensei to serve his specific needs and interests. There is a flavor that is very distinct and unique. Salahuddin Sensei emphasizes that his art is his teacher's art, and makes no claims to any association to any other art. He is adamant that he teaches his teacher's methods and nothing more. When you see it and feel it, it's obviously driven by internal method and is aikijujutsu, but the influence of the weapons is very strong; in fact, the art is weapons-driven and you can see it in the way Salahuddin Sensei moves. Fascinating material!

Ashura wrote:It is interesting to note that Mr Salahuddin makes an efficient use of the ageru/sageru motion which is very typical of the Aiki arts.

I have read that Mr Salahuddin´s skills can be traced back to Kotaro Yoshida, one of Takeda Sokaku´s first student. I recall that he was responsible for introducing Ueshiba Morihei to Sokaku back in Hokkaido at the beginning of the last century.

Yoshida Kotaro, contrary to what has been stated in a famous book (transparent power) was indeed a very skilled martial artist who introduced Datio-ryu to a certain Oyama Masutatsu, founder of the Kyokushin Karate, today´s world´s largest style.

In this is Karate, we can read the following statement from Sosai Oyama about his teacher Yoshida Kotaro:

"...Unrivaled in the fields of Japanese aikido, sword fighting, judo and knife throwing? When Yoshida was young, he never lost a match in reverse hand techniques (gyakute), sword fighting or judo. He always explained that martial arts are for human physical and psychological training and discipline... I have never seen or heard of techniques as wonderful as my teacher's. His mastery of his art can only be called perfection. As an example of just how excellent this man's technique is, I will cite his ability to catch a fly in flight with a pair of chopsticks. This is the type of technique that can be executed only by someone whose movements, techniques and breathing have been perfected to the ultimate... until he was nearly fifty, Yoshida was performing this difficult technique with extraordinary skill."

It is very nice to see that Yoshida´s knowledge somehow made it to the present day and did not simply die out. Thank you Cady for putting the videos.
Last edited by Interloper on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Ashura on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 pm

I remenber hearing in one of the videos that you posted that Mr Salahuddin sais that his art was weapon based with tons of empty hand applications.

Again, I like the fact that this material, even partially, does come from Sokaku Takeda via one of his best, yet quite unknown student Kotaro Yoshida. It is actually quite a small world when you think of it, with different flavors of course, but still a small world especially since there aren't too many people that teach it so openly.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Next

Return to Video Links