Recovery advice

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Recovery advice

Postby klonk on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 pm

BruceP wrote:
klonk wrote:Thank you for the good wishes and advice! A few thoughts going forward:

[*]The advice about pole weapons seems good--I've long found that the best way to connect hands and belly. I have a long staff but have not gotten outdoors to use it--the weather has been horridly cold.

Hey, klonk. I should have been more descriptive, maybe. I was suggesting an exercise that has you holding the implement as you would a sword. Switching hands from front to rear and such.

Was also going to suggest making a practice 'bow' from a 5.5' - 6' length of 3/4" cpvc plumbing tubing and a bootlace, or whatever, so you can work your draw.

Oh. :-[ I get it now. Sword and bow are surely definitive of how warriors use the midsection. Good thinking! (I'm not doing much of that at the present. ;) )
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Plantar fasciitis

Postby klonk on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 am

Could someone pick up on Taiwandeutscher's question about

May I ask another question on recovery?
What to do to get ridd of plantarfasziitis, and infection of the foot tendon, with hurting heel?

I don't know anything except its reputation as a stubborn and damnably painful condition, but somebody here must know something.

Update on me: I'm off the oxy. My belly still hurts, but screw that--the stuff messes with my head. Somebody needs to come up with a drug that kills the pain without sending you off to a fake-ass nirvana.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Plantar fasciitis

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:56 am

klonk wrote:Could someone pick up on Taiwandeutscher's question about

What to do to get ridd of plantarfasziitis, and infection of the foot tendon, with hurting heel?

I don't know anything except its reputation as a stubborn and damnably painful condition, but somebody here must know something.

Update on me: I'm off the oxy. My belly still hurts, but screw that--the stuff messes with my head. Somebody needs to come up with a drug that kills the pain without sending you off to a fake-ass nirvana.

maybe not so fake, it like pain is in your "head" ;)

understand this and you can let the pain go
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 am

That's good news, klonk. Hope everything goes well.

CBD has helped lots of people manage pain, cramping & spasms associated with healing muscle, and appetite.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:47 am

Aber, one problem is that he wrote the condition in German :) Here's an English description.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/p ... overview#1

It's also called "policeman's heel" and why cops were called "flatfoots."

If you need help, pm Ken Fish, he does or used to do orthotic inserts for shoes to help alleviate the condition. There was a thread recently where shoe inserts were addressed, some prescription, some off-the-shelf, such as Superfeet.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:49 am

Afa pain, double up on the Ibuprofen for a while. Aspirin might be bad for your gut.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks, guys!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:39 am

BruceP wrote:

That's good news, klonk. Hope everything goes well.

CBD has helped lots of people manage pain, cramping & spasms associated with healing muscle, and appetite.

simply - hit the bong -joint-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Something I lately learned: You can reduce scars by moisturizing them. Use white petroleum jelly (Vaseline or equivalent) or any of the popular skin moisturizing products if you have no allergic or irritated reaction to them. Some people think that vitamin E in the lotion helps, Keri Lotion, for example.

There are, as an alternative treatment, silicone strips that you can plaster over a scar and they work very well to moisturize, but the location of my scar and my body's fuzziness make them less practical than smearing on lotion several times a day.

I thought I would pass along the info because I didn't know about it and supposed it might be useful to someone else in turn.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014241 ... 0021272828

http://www.vaseline.us/skin-health-care ... scars.html
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Taji's gentle arm-swing warmups are agreeable for early-stage reinvigoration of the torso muscles.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:18 am

You can actually supplement collagen.

https://www.drrons.com/collagen-peptides.html

You should also start doing light stretching as soon as you are able. Massage may also help the scar tissue loosen up.

As for the plantar fascitis it is an inflammation of the fascia in the bottom of the foot usually over the heel. Inflammation is healed by blood flow. So anything which increases blood flow to the area will help. Avoid static stretches which are usually recommended as they will reduce blood flow during the stretch. Get some barefoot style shoes and walk on the balls of your feet. Most people with plantar fascitis I have talked to were distance runners, and tended to heel strike. When you start wearing the barefoot shoes (or no shoes if its warm), avoid walking on concrete or asphalt as much as possible. Walking in soft dirt or mud is very good if barefoot as it feel good, almost like a massage.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby klonk on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:38 pm

I can now walk briskly for an hour in hilly terrain but some muscles seem spongy.

It's a good thing I previously thought the helicopter kick a movie move, more Shaw than Shaolin, for I am never going to try anything like that again.
klonk
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan