Taji in Beijing

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Taji in Beijing

Postby christopher82 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:22 am

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone can recommend a high-level taiji master in Beijing. I especially would like to find a teacher who is strong on neigong and Taoist meditation. I can speak Chinese so language is not a problem. I will be going to live in Beijing from next month so would be really grateful for any recommendations.

Many thanks,
Chris
christopher82
Santi

Re: Taji in Beijing

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:42 am

I think it will be difficult to find a teacher that is skilled / experienced in both, and also the word neigong means many different things to many different people. Maybe you could be a bit more specific about what you are looking for?

I don't know much about Daoist meditation teachers, but for taiji I guess you could try looking for the students / grandstudents of Wang Yongquan (Wei Shuren, Sun Deshan, Zhu Huaiyuan, etc) - that Yang branch line is known for its focus on neigong.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby SCMT on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:56 pm

I have no personal experience with him but Cui Zhongsan teaches Yang Style in Beijing, he learned from his grandfather Cui Yishi who was a student of Yang Chengfu. I believe he use to teach somewhere around the Forbidden city. And yes that is a rather large area to cover. Sorry I can't give you more info, been awhile since I have been in Beijing. To cover more area and be a bit less helpful and more vague, if that is possible, one of the Chen family has a son-in-law that use to teach in tiantan park. Sorry I cannot give you more detail
Last edited by SCMT on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby christopher82 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:44 am

Thank you all very much indeed. I had heard of Chen Xiang as I was interested in hunyuan taiji but I couldn't find any details on the internet and I wasn't sure whether he teaches personally at that school. I think the best thing would be to do as you say and go there in person to find out.

I also heard about Cui Zhongsan and have seen videos of him, but again can't find specific details on the internet. The other names I did not know but will research. Thanks again.
christopher82
Santi

Postby edededed on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:54 am

I don't think that meditation is normally taught together (as a part of) taijiquan. In Beijing, perhaps you can go to the Baiyunguan and talk to the Daoist priests in there. Another option would be to go directly to qigong circles (perhaps by meeting teachers by taking medical qigong courses, etc.).

As for taijiquan, there is lots of Beijing - but Cui Yishi's line is interesting, besides Cui Zhongsan, Zhang Yongtao is another grandson, and there is a whole organization of Cui's line teaching actually (http://www.taiji.wang/wap/?14631.html). Cui was one of Yang Chengfu's earlier disciples, and he may have had a more "complete" taiji system than later disciples. If you want to do Chen style instead, there is always Chen Yu, too. (This hunyuan taiji site (http://www.hunyuantaiji.com.cn/) lists Chen Xiang among its instructors.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby leifeng on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Is Chen Yu still teaching?
leifeng
Huajing

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Not sure if Chen Yu still teaches in Beijing any more. Last I had heard he had set up a full-time taiji school in the Hebei countryside (in Zhuozhou 涿州) a couple of hours from Beijing, and that he is spending more time there. People interested in Chen Yu's line of Chen could either try and see if his Tiantan group still practices at the weekends or alternatively seek out Zhou Jige, who is not only one of Chen Yu's senior disciples but also studied from another of Chen Zhaokui's top students, Yang Wenhu.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby SCMT on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 pm

It was my understanding the Chen Yu had a stroke and was not teaching much at all these days
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby yeniseri on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm

My daughter spent time in Beijing on an external study programme for 3 years (2013-2016) and she said that a good start is to do one of the study trips where taijiquan, etc is part of the programme and then as you get better, by that time you would have made contacts that will allow you to find a specific teacher.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Request a Teacher