Put Fajin into your Jabs!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Put Fajin into your Jabs!

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Steve James wrote:Now, we're not talking boxing anymore, though.

True, but I never was in the first place. I just said that they were boxing... :P I'm just conforming to their rule set for the moment.

I agree with what you are saying about the jab being the weapon. Some boxers fight that way. I'm just coming to that approach from a TCMA perspective.

If you have long legs and arms like me, kicking is great, but jabs are too and I'm not sacrificing my balance or opening myself up to take-downs. Also, taking a really hard, unexpected jab to the face sucks.. :'(
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 pm

johnwang wrote:
Steve James wrote:Now, we're not talking boxing anymore, though.

MaartenSFS also trains Sanda.

MaartenSFS wrote:it cold here up in the Dongbei ...

Believe it or not, in Dongbei, 1/2 of the "black dirt land" used to belong to my grandfather. Those land had to paid "double tax" compare to the regular land. My grandfather had 275 farmers leased his land back then. One day I asked my father, "How much land did we have?" My father said, "If you walk 3 days and 3 night, you are still on our land." Now the communist took it all away.

That's crazy and sad, but TRUST ME, your family did the right thing by moving to Taiwan! It's miserable here! >:(
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm

dspyrido wrote:
johnwang wrote:In CMA, a "jab" is always set up by a low kick. In all the CMA training, I still have not found any skill that's more important than this combo - groin kick, face punch.

I think the level up is adding footwork and dodging to kick-punch as it takes into consideration what the opponent is doing. It exists in cma but does not seem emphasised as much.

Any reason why?

Assuming that we're talking about the lead leg kicking as well, that is surely effective. My point is that if you put Fajin into your jab AND kick well with your lead leg... That is just devastating! 8-)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:51 pm

johnwang wrote:
Strange wrote:the taiwanese slur for communists is bandit

Not just "bandit" but "evil bandit".

I still remember when I took the "go aboard exam", the teacher suggested in that exam, I had to use words such as "under the flood of the evil bandits ...", otherwise the Taiwan government won't let me pass that exam.

dspyrido wrote:I think the level up is adding footwork and dodging to kick-punch as it takes into consideration what the opponent is doing. It exists in cma but does not seem emphasised as much.

Any reason why?

That's a good question. Why people only care about "power generation" and don't care much about "skill development"? It's like people only care about "nuclear device", but don't care much about "deliver system".

Both are important, but, without the power generation, your strikes will not be feared and it will be more difficult to apply them. ;)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 am

johnwang wrote:That's a good question. Why people only care about "power generation" and don't care much about "skill development"? It's like people only care about "nuclear device", but don't care much about "deliver system".

-bow-
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Yugen on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Regarding the subject of Fajin in jabs, if one wanted to look at it from a Western boxing perspective I like old time English boxer Jim Driscoll's book The Straight Left and How to Cultivate it. He was known for his power jab and often knocked opponent's out with it. At the end of his book he even briefly mentions ground connection of the body. He wasn't a fan of American adaptations to boxing that resulted in power strikes from the rear hand mainly, wild rotational swings and the jab losing its power potential.

If you watch old footage of him you'll see him stop his opponents forward movement with his jab (kind of stands them up) then he fires his rear hand strikes. You'll also see that his hips are relatively maintained square to his opponent all the time (not turning in rotation when striking) and when he throws his jab watch his rear leg unbow (straighten) to fire power into it. He doesn't weight the forward leg when throwing his jab.

In short, from what I see if you watch American boxing there is huge amounts of power from the rotational swing, but the old English boxing of Driscoll seems more structurally connected to the ground..

my 2 cents.
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 pm

That sounds a little bit similar. I just checked and my rear leg straightens as well - just for a moment. If I can ever get my VPN working I'll look him up on Youtube. :)

By keeping the "weapon" closer to them it becomes very difficult for them to predict when and from what angle it will come. I also have a "straight hook punch" that comes straight up at an angle and goes right between their two fists. I use the same power generation method. These two combined work like a charm.. 8-)
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Do you coordinate your forward step foot landing and "jab" at the same time? IMO, if you can use the "external 3 harmony" to check your "jab", it should improve your Fajin. It doesn't matter what CMA style that you train, you should use the "external 3 harmony" to check all you CMA technique in order to achieve "body unification".

As far as the "internal 3 harmony", it may be too abstract for discussion.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Yes, I do. What is the "external three harmony"? I can do it backwards too, with possibly even more power, because, as my back leg straightens and my back foot touches the ground, this energy, plus my backward inertia, comes shooting forwards and stops them in their tracks. This is one of the reasons why they aren't chasing me anymore.. :P
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:07 am

MaartenSFS wrote:What is the "external three harmony"?

外三合,即手与足合,肘与膝合,肩与胯合。此为身法之重要部分。所谓合者,大部分情况下,手足、肘膝、肩胯上下对应,近乎垂直,然而主要在于动作的协调配合。所谓上下相随,内外相合也。

The external 3 harmony are:

- Hand coordinate with foot.
- Elbow coordinate with knee.
- Shoulder coordinate with Kua.

Many CMA systems use "slow training" to achieve this. The goal is to be able to achieve this in "lighting speed". First you check that all body parts start to move at the same time and then stop at the same time. You then check the detail coordination.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I was ill for a week with a fever.. :S The last several days I checked my techniques and I am also following the three harmonies. None of my teachers ever talked about it, it just happened naturally because my structure and footwork are good. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan