Rogue

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Rogue

Postby KEND on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Impressive, Felicity Jones has an intensity not seen since the first Star Wars . It had the same fresh feeling as the original in1977. The male supporting cast [apart from Donnie] lack charisma but the direction was right on. A return to the time before Lucas went to the dark side
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Rogue

Postby Strange on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Rogue One, Ken
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:49 pm

KEND wrote:Impressive, Felicity Jones has an intensity not seen since the first Star Wars . It had the same fresh feeling as the original in1977. The male supporting cast [apart from Donnie] lack charisma but the direction was right on. A return to the time before Lucas went to the dark side

I'm in agreement. Great feel, sets, and cinematography that really did match more with the originals. I actually thought the male (and imperial droid) actors were fine--Yen's partner in crime comes to mind, especially.

I was not disappointed.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:57 am

will have to give it a watch so, I missed out on Force Awakens...

(OTT)A friend of mine who is a Ghost in the Shell fan also told me that the hollywood adaptation wasnt bad
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:37 am

Hated it. SW7 was ok though.

Ghost in the Shell was just what I suspected. An empty shell. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

Bao wrote:

well, sure. but it's got my lottery girlfriend in skintight outfits, so it can't be all bad.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am

qiphlow wrote:
Bao wrote:

well, sure. but it's got my lottery girlfriend in skintight outfits, so it can't be all bad.

;D 8-)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:32 am

Bao wrote:Hated it. SW7 was ok though.

Interesting. I thought SW7 tried but failed to do what Rogue One did. SW7 didn't get the feel right, and instead just struck me as an overly blatant knock-off of old themes without bringing anything fresh to the table. I enjoyed it, but wasn't particularly impressed.

As for Ghost in the Shell, I am already biased against the "internationalization" of the story, so I have very low expectations. That said, I do like Scarlett and the trailer looked like there is some nice cinematography. So, your description sounds about like what I am expecting. Waiting for the shift from theaters as always.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:50 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:
Bao wrote:Hated it. SW7 was ok though.\

Interesting. I thought SW7 tried but failed to do what Rogue One did.

Too little background story to make the characters interesting. I didn't like the beginning scenes, there were nothing original here. And a Hong Kong style coordinated Kung Fu fight doesn't seem to fit in. The scenes with Darth Vader were lame and boring. I felt a bit like I felt watching the new Ghostbusters, like all of the efforts were there and it had the potential to be good, but it wasn't funny, not exciting, no nothing. It missed the mark.

I didn't like SW7 either, it followed the original trilogy in a very safe and unoriginal manner, even copying a lot of EPIV. But it felt like a better whole, it felt more like a complete movie and the narrative flow was better from scene to scene.

Scarlett was ok in GitS. But again, as I said already when I watched the first trailer, it's going to be surface only. And I was correct. But if they could have been brave enough to have slow paced philosophical moments, it might have came out brilliant. As a movie and seen only as entertainment, GitS is a quite nice watch.

All IMHO, I won't try to force (lame attempt to be funny) my view on anyone. :P
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 am

shortly:
I like >Rogue 1<
but
it should be last SW episode, end of the story, finito, unfortunately it not goin` to happen,.

Ghost is starting shortly here in Krakow, so I would like to see it in 3D. I don`t expect to deep philosophical matter, just nice visual blasts :)
BTW,
did you guys ever been in 6D cinema? I saw/felt there second "Alice";- sea battle was real big fun :D
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 am

Havent seen 7 yet or ghost. Pity the characters in rogue got killed off , I think they could have made a good sequel. The 'feel' obviously varies from person to person, but I still remember the opening day of the original SW and the sensation [however hokey] that it invoked, to a lesser degree in the others, completely was missing in the 3 later ones
KEND
Great Old One

Postby RobLindent on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:28 pm

I really enjoyed the alternative take that Rogue One took.

Also, Ghost in the shell...would not recommend. It was an awful movie. Really unfortunate because it had parts that looked very cool, and I was a fan of the show.
RobLindent
Santi

Postby aamc on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Thought Rogue One was great. Its the first Star Wars film to ask how the rebellion hurts even the rebels, couldn't help but interpret it in the civil war context of Syria. Those fighting for their freedom, what is the cost? What evil things are done in the justification of rebellion? Best of the new SW films easily.
aamc
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 pm

aamc wrote:Its the first Star Wars film to ask how the rebellion hurts even the rebels,

Like they get a whole planet blown up in EP IV is not enough to show that? :P
Last edited by Bao on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby aamc on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 am

Lack of clarity on my part. None of the other Star wars films have had the rebels go, we've done bad things in the name of the rebellion. They are always the good guys. In Rogue, there is some moral ambiguity and a questioning of that childish premise
aamc
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic