How to deal with an extremely aggressive/strong opponent?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

How to deal with an extremely aggressive/strong opponent?

Postby choldstare on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm curious on the community opinion on how to deal with a very aggressive opponent or individual in a fight or in sparring. I'm not naturally a very aggressive person but I want to be able to deal with people who are very aggressive and strong. Is the best way to match their aggression/intent?

The only thing that's worked for me so far is to match their intent. If they're coming at you with the intent to "take you out" I have to turn on the intensity and ferocity but it doesn't feel very nice or "zen".. albeit I enjoy the sensation. I have to go for ending it as quickly as possible to contain what they might do to me but i'm not sure If it's healthy to break someones arm or choke them unconscious.

Feels like he's just going to walk out or move on to someone who he knows he can dominate and hurt and take out his frustration on him/her. (Saw this happen first hand.)

Some of my buddies made comments like "you have to beat it out of them" agree, disagree?
Last edited by choldstare on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
choldstare
Santi

Re: How to deal with an extremely aggressive/strong opponent?

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 pm

I don't quite grasp the reluctance to use what you have trained for. If you do not want to deal violently with someone who is intending to do you harm, perhaps you should try macrame. In sparring, if someone is getting overly aggressive, go for the knock-out, or at least hit him hard enough where it counts to change his attitude. In real life, be quick, be violent, and do not hold back.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby suckinlhbf on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Run for life or you may end up in jail.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby choldstare on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:16 pm

kenneth fish wrote:I don't quite grasp the reluctance to use what you have trained for. If you do not want to deal violently with someone who is intending to do you harm, perhaps you should try macrame. In sparring, if someone is getting overly aggressive, go for the knock-out, or at least hit him hard enough where it counts to change his attitude. In real life, be quick, be violent, and do not hold back.

I see what you're saying. It's just that that seems very yang on yang which from the classics is not recommended. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. Also there's a part of me that struggles to turn on that killer instinct some days. Like i said I'm not naturally an aggressive person or someone that wants to inflict harm on someone but it's definitely not healthy to let the other person inflict harm on me either. I love martial arts/sparring testing myself I am just curious if other people felt something like this before and what they did to overcome it.
choldstare
Santi

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:17 pm

I know what you mean.. I'm not a naturally aggressive (or strong) person, either. It took me years to build myself up to what I am now. If my sparring partner gets a little too crazy, I do too. Within reason. If their behaviour is going to lead to others getting injured I tell them that and then don't work with them or ask everyone to put on more protective equipment. Most of the time, experience and Gongli trump their aggressive attitude, but sometimes you've got to get down and dirty. 8-)

As far as Yin and Yang are concerned, Taiji masters of old kicked arse just like everyone else else. You only look cool when fighting against inferior opponents, most of the time. When evenly or out-matched it looks ugly. :P
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:40 pm

choldstare wrote:
kenneth fish wrote:I don't quite grasp the reluctance to use what you have trained for. If you do not want to deal violently with someone who is intending to do you harm, perhaps you should try macrame. In sparring, if someone is getting overly aggressive, go for the knock-out, or at least hit him hard enough where it counts to change his attitude. In real life, be quick, be violent, and do not hold back.

I see what you're saying. It's just that that seems very yang on yang which from the classics is not recommended. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. Also there's a part of me that struggles to turn on that killer instinct some days. Like i said I'm not naturally an aggressive person or someone that wants to inflict harm on someone but it's definitely not healthy to let the other person inflict harm on me either. I love martial arts/sparring testing myself I am just curious if other people felt something like this before and what they did to overcome it.

Depends on relative level of skill. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25870

Most of the time people tend to be aggressive with those they feel they can be aggressive with, with out getting knocked out in the process.

On the other hand, the above advice about changing an attitude works too.
In real life do what it takes to survive and end the threat, this includes
removing oneself from it..

this might help

One of Wong's most popular tales is his return to Guangdong. In front of Hai Tung Monastery, Wong set up an elevated stage known as a leitai to accept challenges from any and all comers. Over the course of eighteen days, he defeated over one hundred and fifty challengers.

"Either the challenger was maimed or killed," noted Chin. "He never let one challenger leave his school without injury.

He was a master of using the technique of cruelty." There are four principles for Hop Gar: cruelty, evasion, penetration and interception. When asked about cruelty, Chin stoically quotes the Lama White Crane kung fu classics: "When hunting a tiger, destroy it. Otherwise, a wounded tiger will return to harm you. When weeding a garden, pull up the roots. Otherwise, the weeds will grow back. Whether the lion is hunting an elephant or a rabbit, the lion always uses full force."

Whether the lion is hunting an elephant or a rabbit, the lion always uses full force.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/ ... rticle=661

sucks to be the rabbit.

While it sounds cool reading the exploits,
cruelty, as a mind set is hard to carry around....if it really doesn't fit ones true mind.
This is were IMO the idea of emptiness is better to cultivate and understand how to use it as a strategy.
You mentioned yang/yang yin/yin this understand is not quite correct.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:42 pm

I'll repost what Joseph "Bazooka Joe" Valtellini, former world kickboxing champion and current color commentator for Glory Kickboxing said in a video interview. Because, I thought it was good advice.

From current thread, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25790&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30:
marvin8 wrote:@ 16:00:
Joseph "Bazooka Joe" Valtellini wrote:Fighting is not what you actually throw. A good coach is going to teach you positioning, distance. He’s going to tell you more philosophies and strategies around fighting.

@ 17:23:
Joseph "Bazooka Joe" Valtellini wrote:It’s about mobility in my opinion . . . You got to be able to adapt. If you’re fighting a pressure fighter you have to be able to move and fight on angles. If you are fighting a guy who now likes to move around a lot you got to be able to pressure fight. So, you have to have the coaching and knowledge to be able to adapt accordingly.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 pm

. . . and then give him an aggressive beating to give him some of his own medicine.

(Just to reply to your question more appropriately regarding psychology and group atmosphere) :D
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:10 pm

I think people are coming at this from slightly different perspectives that are really different questions. For ex., if the question is "What do I do when a guy who's asked for a friendly spar tries to take my head off or really hurt me?" Well, typically, the first advice is "Defend yourself at all times." So, it doesn't matter whether the guy asked for a "friendly" bout. Ya never know. But, now that you know, what should you do? That completely depends. Sometimes, it'd be appropriate to say "Thanks," and then leave, if that's the option. It's the same rule; the only question is method. Honestly, if the other guy seems like a bully, "defending myself" might include trying to hurt the other guy. However, I'd be doing that voluntarily, and some might consider me to be bullying. If the other guy is bigger and stronger, I'd rationalize it by considering it a public service.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:49 pm

choldstare wrote:I'm curious on the community opinion on how to deal with a very aggressive opponent or individual in a fight or in sparring. I'm not naturally a very aggressive person but I want to be able to deal with people who are very aggressive and strong. Is the best way to match their aggression/intent?

The only thing that's worked for me so far is to match their intent. If they're coming at you with the intent to "take you out" I have to turn on the intensity and ferocity but it doesn't feel very nice or "zen".. albeit I enjoy the sensation. I have to go for ending it as quickly as possible to contain what they might do to me but i'm not sure If it's healthy to break someones arm or choke them unconscious.

Feels like he's just going to walk out or move on to someone who he knows he can dominate and hurt and take out his frustration on him/her. (Saw this happen first hand.)

Some of my buddies made comments like "you have to beat it out of them" agree, disagree?

There is a Western white boy mind set of things~ like to spar and fight to build up aggression

And there is a very Zen mind set of things~ drilling one tech for millions of time, until everything respond naturally.
That is you do not think of hitting, and hitting is done it for you.

The clip is just a movie, however the idea behind it is worth contemplating.
Last edited by Overlord on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby choldstare on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Steve James wrote:I think people are coming at this from slightly different perspectives that are really different questions. For ex., if the question is "What do I do when a guy who's asked for a friendly spar tries to take my head off or really hurt me?" Well, typically, the first advice is "Defend yourself at all times." So, it doesn't matter whether the guy asked for a "friendly" bout. Ya never know. But, now that you know, what should you do? That completely depends. Sometimes, it'd be appropriate to say "Thanks," and then leave, if that's the option. It's the same rule; the only question is method. Honestly, if the other guy seems like a bully, "defending myself" might include trying to hurt the other guy. However, I'd be doing that voluntarily, and some might consider me to be bullying. If the other guy is bigger and stronger, I'd rationalize it by considering it a public service.

This actually made me feel better thinking about what happened as public service :)
choldstare
Santi

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:59 am

Aggressivness is a powerful fuel but burns quick.... But with drug and steroid use becoming more common the issue of aggressives is even more problematic. Saw a video clip online yesterday of a situation happened some days ago in Sweden where three police officers and a security guard could mot handle an overly aggressive young man, don't know if the man was on some drugs but it shows the difficulty to deal with someone who is determinately aggressive.
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 am

Now i myself is a very quiet non aggressive person, infact to the point where i even find it difficult to spell "aggressiveness" (i'm sure there are more misspellings in my posts..sorry for that)
Trick

Postby Pandrews1982 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 am

Responding to the OP.

I think your terminology is a little mixed. Having "intent" does not necessarily mean meeting strength with strength or going head to head with someone.

If they are using excessive force you can move out of the line of that force and strike/throw/choke whatever without undue tension but still with "intent" - a complete focus of awareness of what you are doing from one moment to another. You can't really have "intent" fully and be thinking about not hurting your opponent or going lightly, you are just "doing" not thinking. Same way that you can't fully have intent if you are just thinking of trying to kick the shit out of the opponent, becoming tunnel visioned on just achieving that objective and missing out on what is actually happening.

You don't have to be aggressive to have intent. Aggression can be harnessed effectively but often I find it leads to trying to force something to work.

I have had to put down an overly aggressive opponent a couple of times or else I would have got hurt. On one occasion I broke my partner's nose but didn't respond with aggression, I was a little agitated by his obvious use of more force than I thought we were going to be using but the method I used was instinctive rather than forced.

I think that such situations should maybe be handled with communication though. If someone is going all out in sparring then maybe stop and have a chat with him. He may not realise that you have different expectations from the training. If you feel intimidated by talking to him about the issue then ask your teacher to breach the subject or referee sparring matches between you. A good teacher should be able to highlight to a person if they are being too much of a bully or not playing to the rules of the training.

I'd also say though at some point you need to train against resisting opponents, full force and speed. You need to test yourself and have the potential for being hurt as part of the mix, and you probably will get hurt now and again too and you will learn from it and realise there are worse things than being punched in the mouth.

I also like Maaten's comment "When evenly or out-matched it looks ugly". Pretty much all my sparring looks ugly :)
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 pm

There are animals out there and they need to be put down within the context of legality and justified other stuff!
1. Deter
2. Deny
3. Run
4 If they keep coming, then buss' some heads according to the law ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan