An alternative to Google?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

An alternative to Google?

Postby grzegorz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Tons of fake news on Google.

Does anyone know of an alternative search engine?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: An alternative to Google?

Postby everything on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:10 pm

how about duckduckgo? http://duckduckgo.com/
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Tons of fake news on Google news? Or just on google? Big difference. There are many ways to detect and discard fake news. Google it. :)
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:49 pm

If you change the way you search for long enough the search engine will start delivering sites according to your preference s. If it's only what you call fake you news that you're worried about not the privacy issues.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Tons of fake news on Google news? Or just on google? Big difference. There are many ways to detect and discard fake news. Google it. :)

It is much more involved than that.

Just as people are upset about internet providers and facebook selling your info Google does the same.

I have been to Google and see the money they make selling our info and I don't like the fact that their search engine is based on the sites with the most hits so I want to find an alternative.

Why not?

https://spreadprivacy.com/filter-bubble-83fb920510b5
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:32 pm

everything wrote:how about duckduckgo? http://duckduckgo.com/

Perfect! Thanks!

I am reading about them and see that they take internet privacy seriously.

My wife works in internet security so I hear all about meta-data and all the other ways they are selling our every click and stroke.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:33 pm

windwalker wrote:If you change the way you search for long enough the search engine will start delivering sites according to your preference s. If it's only what you call fake you news that you're worried about not the privacy issues.

Thanks it has been well documented that political groups are using our information and what is trending etc. to decide which issues to press to win elections and these methods will only get worse and more sophisticated. The worst part being that it isn't influencing what our politicians will do instead it will let them know which lies they should tell.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:46 am

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

You might find this browser more useful.

https://www.startpage.com

Alternative search engine
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Snork on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:41 am

Take back the power. Use https://searx.me or run your own instance https://asciimoo.github.io/searx/user/own-instance.html

Even better, as Windwalker suggests, run Tor and access it as an onion site to avoid the dangerous clearweb altogether: http://searx7hcqiogbrhk.onion/
Snork
Anjing

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:49 am

"Fake news" and privacy are different issues. Using a secure browser will not affect whether fake news comes up in your searches or browsing. It's true that engines like Google retain one's browsing and searching history in order (they say) to provide (what they think) are the results most relevant to the searcher. Of course, they also pass on that information to merchants who pay for advertising, etc. That certainly affects what one ultimately sees when they use a browser. But, suppose, using the cleanest browser available, you search for "Putin." Forget the algorithm that the engine uses. How will you determine what's not fake? How will you be able to source the information?

Afa privacy, though, if you have a credit card and use it to buy anything --on the internet or not-- you're screwed. The problem for most people is that they want to have their cake (the convenience of the interweb) and eat it too (not be convenient to the interweb). However, that is the convergence. We look into the abyss, and it stares back -- just like our Samsung tvs. :) The resistance is human, but probably futile.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Steve James wrote:"Fake news" and privacy are different issues. Using a secure browser will not affect whether fake news comes up in your searches or browsing. It's true that engines like Google retain one's browsing and searching history in order (they say) to provide (what they think) are the results most relevant to the searcher. Of course, they also pass on that information to merchants who pay for advertising, etc. That certainly affects what one ultimately sees when they use a browser. But, suppose, using the cleanest browser available, you search for "Putin." Forget the algorithm that the engine uses. How will you determine what's not fake? How will you be able to source the information?

Yup. That's exactly what I was getting at.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:52 pm

As I said it is much more involved than that.

If you like Google stick with it.

If anyone is interested I can post more articles but as it is I have android TV so Google knows everything I watch and I have an android phone so Google knows where I am everyday and I don't like the fact that these people have all this information on all of us and they feed me Fake news kind of like people getting angry at youtube (owned by Google) for Jake Made videos. I am not angry at Google but if I don't like Coke why should I keep drinking it?
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:29 pm

My main point isn't about the specific browser; it's about how one interprets the information that comes from whatever source. In general, people will often choose to believe information because it comes from a specific website. I think the problem being addressed afa the Google search engine is the amount of control it has over the results an individual gets. I think that's a valid critique. However, one can find various sides to all issues in any Google search.

The decision to use Chrome, otoh, or IE, Firefox, etc., aopt Tor, for example, seems to me to be a different issue. I do use Chrome or Firefox. I understand the risks.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Doesn't address any of the OP issues
just a different direction as far as browsers go
thought some might find it interesting.

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2017 ... t-browser/
windwalker
Wuji

Postby RobLindent on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Only other real alternative I used is Bing. Ask isn't bad either if you want quick answers, but in terms of news I'd go with Bing.
RobLindent
Santi

Next

Return to Off the Topic