Stoicism

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Stoicism

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:37 am

I'm reading a lot about Stoicism right now, but I'm an older white dude, doing a fairly intellectual job, so it probably doesn't really count :)

(I think the point that the majority of people interested in Stocicism now fall into that category is valid, and should be considered

Stoicon 2016 audience:

Although historically, it was always about old white dudes, if the famous practitioners are anything to go by:

).

But anyway, I thought this article I read yesterday on Amor Fati 'Love your fate' was really interesting:

https://dailystoic.com/amor-fati/

PLUS: Interesting Podcast on the subject by Donald Robertson on Stoicism and CBT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86_fsafYUG8

Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:09 am

There's really nothing special, nor "White," about Stoicism except the name. Stoicism is an attitude toward life. Zeno offered a philosophical explanation for that attitude, and the reason for that attitude had a moral foundation. Imo, very few contemporary people who adopt Stoicism do so for Zeno's reasons. And, btw, Stoics who do wouldn't care about that statement. However, much of Tibetan Buddhism is based on ideas that are stoic. The interesting element of contemporary western Stoicism (and, I'm not talking about philosophers) is its relation to the Epicurean ideas of pleasure and/or accomplishment. It's a matter of how to define "virtue" or "the good life."

Oh, afa therapy, yeah, I can see that Stoic thought can help. I'm not sure that means reading Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius, or the Go Rin No Sho or Hagakure.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:31 am

Somebody just posted this on my FB. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVkWo7sC6-0
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Great movie - as are his others; Hidden Blade etc
Finny
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:17 am

[quote="GrahamB"]I'm reading a lot about Stoicism right now, but I'm an older white dude, doing a fairly intellectual job, so it probably doesn't really count :)[quote]

That issue actually came up in one Holiday's talks. Someone asked why it was just white guys who were talking about Stoicism and he looked surprised but said he hopes that his message would spread to everyone. I just thought it was funny that someone would actually ask that
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:04 pm

I finally found a good interview with Ryan Holiday for a quick version of Obstacle. Strangely enough most of his interviews don't do his writings justice but this one does.

https://youtu.be/dLGv2y7Y-ro
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby chud on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am

Mr_Wood wrote:Just ordered the Hayes translation, cheers chaps.

I've read Meditations a couple of times, but always just read the free version online; I'll have to check out the Hayes translation. Thanks.
Last edited by chud on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby vagabond on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Whiteness is a very recent invention. So no, Zeno wasn't white.

The only reason I mention it is because I've had this thought before, specifically regarding Stoicism and "hermeticism". The only people I've known to bring up stoicism in conversation have been culturally privileged "creative" dudes.

hermeticism on the other hand has always been brought up by white working-poor dudes with absurdly high opinions of themselves despite being the frier/salad bitch, a past selling crack but not going back to jail, firm believers that black people are inferior despite being across the kitchen from black folk with more skill, more intelligence and better hygiene, only doing this until they "start their own business", and acted like my friend but offered to sell me a bag of weed at a price that made it clear they thought I was a chump. With the second guy I was wondering if they had meetings, and maybe a script.

Their seems to be some kind of big brother little brother, mods and skins, real rappers and juggalos thing going on
vagabond
Huajing

Postby grzegorz on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 am

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Three free books thanks to Tim Ferris.

https://tim.blog/2017/07/06/tao-of-seneca/
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic