Specific Personal IMA Milestones and Goals

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Specific Personal IMA Milestones and Goals

Postby bruised on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 am

Giles wrote:
bruised wrote:
robert wrote:The Chinese have a saying - something like seeking the far, they missed the near. FWIW.

is the near how to fight better?

i seek excellent baseline to start specific training on how to fight better, but that is not my main goal. main goal: body feels clear, head feels clear.

I'd say generally, and almost certainly in your case, the "near" is not about fighting, but about learning to move with "heaven-earth connection", i.e. very gently raising the crown of your head and freeing up your neck, and simultaneously letting your spine and the tissues around it relax downwards through the sacrum and to the tailbone. "Hanging the bucket in the well" is another image for that. Then generally doing your silk-reeling movements in a slower and much more relaxed manner while maintaining this heaven-earth connection. While breathing gently but deeply, and with general body awareness, not focusing on specific 'energies' or 'energy centres'. This should gradually (!!) loosen up and simultaneously connect all parts of your body. After a few months of moving like this, preferably with direct feedback from a teacher, you might be ready for a next stage. Anything else is trying to run before you can walk, and can backfire healthwise as well.
Good luck, enjoy...

PS. My signature line is always this, not specially for the occasion... ;)

thank you for feedback! will slow my roll and hang the bucket! i usually think of my back as stacked. i've recently started focusing on "heavenly pressures" vs "earth pressures" which kinda sounds like what you're mentioning you see in my movements. it's been very helpful! you hit the nail on the head too, my biggest mental challenge is not to rush, i'm definable "chasing" or "reaching" something.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Ian

Postby bruised on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 pm

have some respect.

anyways, these are better:

then my phone dies

phone phones dies at end again.

belly development from kung fu practice. ever see the scenes in kung fu movies where a master catches glimpse of a fighters belly, and can tell right away about their internal power? I love how the camera zooms into the belly, when i was young kid, it was a bit confusing, but now i understand.

I like to examine people abs. particularly the 12th rib ridge all around and make note of the balance and position of the diaphragm relative to this ridge.

I also like to note position and tensions in the floating ribs.

bruce lee studied the Dao and I can see in his moves that he reverse breaths and is very much aware of his breath. the famous scene where he spreads his lats like a cobra opening up is rare glimpse of his internal awareness. i should do a fucking comentary on that scene alone. his full reverse exhale is incredible. I don't think he ever spoke about this and my guess is he took his breathing "secrets" to the grave.
Last edited by bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 am

Where does the term "opponent" exist in "IMA milestones and goals"? Is your "IMA milestones and goals" only "solo"?

What does it have to do with

- timing,
- opportunity,
- angle?
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:18 am

johnwang wrote:Where does the term "opponent" exist in "IMA milestones and goals"? Is your "IMA milestones and goals" only "solo"?

What does it have to do with

- timing,
- opportunity,
- angle?

i feel the opponent is myself. personal goals are solo. if i'm understanding the last part, are these the elements that are completely missing in my list i should have? it does make me sound crazy if that was all i was working on. the list is not complete or balanced at all. just random IMA related checklist.

the title is actually misleading, and the things i wrote here not quite goals i was working on, but came when i would read literature of experiences i've already had. it would make me focus my attention on the new knowledge related to something i've experienced. it would be weird if these were goals i worked on for 3 years. I been working on internal stuff for about 3 years without guide and finally decided to start reading into it. these were just things I found i could already do. really out of order path, but it guided me to here and the study of legitimate martial arts. I now seek local teacher.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

Giles wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Where is that quote about near and far from? I tried to find the source recently and failed.

It's in the Classic known as the "Treatise on Tai Chi Chuan" or "Tàijíquán Lùn", attributed to Wang Tsung-yueh (Wang Zongyue). The phrase is shortly before the end of the text. The translations come in lots of variations but the basic idea is pretty clear and consistent. (And of course applicable on many levels, for technique and for life in general).

Thanks. I think I looked through every verse of the Dao Te Ching looking for it. Turns out it wasn't there :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 pm

bruised wrote:i feel the opponent is myself. personal goals are solo.

So your goal is "health" only. Why train IMA if there is no "martial" in it?
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Most likely we have different views on the definition of martial arts. You could say that I practice internal arts and not internal martial arts. What does the word martial mean to you? I don't like the Latin meaning it comes from. I dont train health only. But I think it's more Vital that fighting skills. Both knowledge bases as it relates to the body are of the same foundation I feel.

Understand that I'm only starting my formal fighting training as of recently. Let's see if this knowlwdge base help or hinders me on my journey
Last edited by bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:43 pm

bruised wrote: What does the word martial mean to you?

To me, MA means

- timing,
- opportunity,
- angle,
- power,
- balance.

Without "opponent", timing, opportunity, and angle will have no meaning.

You use

- partner training to develop MA skill.
- sparring/wrestling to test it.
- equipment/weight training to enhance it.
- solo drills/forms to polish it.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:41 pm

johnwang wrote:
bruised wrote: What does the word martial mean to you?

To me, MA means

- timing,
- opportunity,
- angle,
- power,
- balance.

Without "opponent", timing, opportunity, and angle will have no meaning.

You use

- partner training to develop MA skill.
- sparring/wrestling to test it.
- equipment/weight training to enhance it.
- solo drills/forms to polish it.

I think the opponent right now is my (idea of) self. All those MA aspects can exist within.
But externally, I agree with you. to get psychological on you, since you put balance last on you list, i feel that we are not on the same foundation.
Last edited by bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby everything on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:16 pm

bruised, clear body, clear mind is an excellent goal. Were you trying to do some internal health activity in some specific order, when you started to notice these various things?

edit: also when you talk about "open" are you talking about energy flow or some kind of postural awareness? or were you working on energy (microcosmic orbit) and posture was a side effect/interest/activity?

edit2: ah nvm I read your intro and see that you were working on relaxing from the inside out. relax is what I was told you should do to work on your taijiquan.

good job on improving your health condition by doing this practice. I have been suffering from digestion issues and also try to use relaxation and qigong (not really meditation) and agree you can become very aware of different parts of your body being relaxed or tense and being open or blocked.
Last edited by everything on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 pm

everything wrote:bruised, clear body, clear mind is an excellent goal. Were you trying to do some internal health activity in some specific order, when you started to notice these various things?

edit: also when you talk about "open" are you talking about energy flow or some kind of postural awareness? or were you working on energy (microcosmic orbit) and posture was a side effect/interest/activity?

edit2: ah nvm I read your intro and see that you were working on relaxing from the inside out. relax is what I was told you should do to work on your taijiquan.

good job on improving your health condition by doing this practice. I have been suffering from digestion issues and also try to use relaxation and qigong (not really meditation) and agree you can become very aware of different parts of your body being relaxed or tense and being open or blocked.

thank you for reading my posts! my passion for my activities come from wanting to help and heal others. I feel once you learn to heal someone, if you wanted you could harm them. funny how if the focus is to hurt (internally OR externally), many don't realize that the same knowledge can be used to heal. this doesn't not mean i can fight, but it is helping me learn better. i don't feel threatened in my life so i don't focus on much other than to help. throwing punches and releasing, and playing with my power is fun enough at this point. I like how you put it to. relaxing from the inside out. let me know if you ever come to seattle 8-)

for many people the reference point for their lives is external. my reference point for life is internal.
Last edited by bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 pm

bruised wrote:have some respect.

anyways, these are better:

then my phone dies

phone phones dies at end again.

belly development from kung fu practice. ever see the scenes in kung fu movies where a master catches glimpse of a fighters belly, and can tell right away about their internal power? I love how the camera zooms into the belly, when i was young kid, it was a bit confusing, but now i understand.

I like to examine people abs. particularly the 12th rib ridge all around and make note of the balance and position of the diaphragm relative to this ridge.

I also like to note position and tensions in the floating ribs.

bruce lee studied the Dao and I can see in his moves that he reverse breaths and is very much aware of his breath. the famous scene where he spreads his lats like a cobra opening up is rare glimpse of his internal awareness. i should do a fucking comentary on that scene alone. his full reverse exhale is incredible. I don't think he ever spoke about this and my guess is he took his breathing "secrets" to the grave.

id like to add that when I do my inner body exploration i look at something like this to journey:

who else used the Nei Jing Tu to explore? where are your lost? most visited and familiar areas? i can travel and see most. still exploring. I'm looking for a beautiful one in english and color to hang on my wall, anyone got a source?
Last edited by bruised on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 am

johnwang wrote:
bruised wrote:i feel the opponent is myself. personal goals are solo.

So your goal is "health" only. Why train IMA if there is no "martial" in it?

Very near the area i live is a park where people every morning gather to exercise everything from dancing to play badminton and shuttlecock, to play card and chess, execise with their musical instruments and sing, or just to take a stroll. There are of course also many people that practice the execises of CMA,few do sparring some do push hands and similar, but most practice the solo exercises of CMA. Everyone seem joyful and happy, there is a very vibrant and healthy spirit in that park, i very much enjoy spending my mornings there
Trick

Postby Giles on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:43 am

GrahamB wrote:Thanks. I think I looked through every verse of the Dao Te Ching looking for it. Turns out it wasn't there :)

You're welcome :)
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan