Assassin's Creed

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Assassin's Creed

Postby KEND on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Saw this on the plane from Florida. Heard of the game but not the movie. Interesting premise, the Assassins are the good guys, protecting freedom of thought while the Knight Templars are the bad guys supporting the repressive church. Of course the Assassins are naturally violent, the implication being that it is a natural attribute of free will.Some good fight scenes, an impressive cast: Irons, Cotillard, etc.In the end the apple is saved and humanity can presumably continue destroying itself
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Assassin's Creed

Postby greytowhite on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:16 pm

I love the game but can't imagine a more backward representation. Weren't the Knights Templar rounded up and murdered off by the church/state on Friday the 13th? Why would they support the church as a whole? Wouldn't they go underground and become assassins? Or is that the big plot reveal later - the assassins and the knights are the same at the top? Dun dun dun... Anyway, it's a fun game set in a few different time periods.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:51 pm

I just happened to watch it today. I never played the game, but the premise was interesting. But, for me, unnecessary. The parts with Torquemada in Spain were cool, especially the escape from the "auto da fe." The martial arts were fun and well done. Yeah, there was a lot of wire work.

Afa the historical aspects, both the Templars and the Assassins (or actually the group with that name), were supposed to have been wiped out by their religious brethren. Both groups were threats because they became too powerful. However, there are plenty of legends claiming that both groups survived and went underground. It's a lot like the Freemason conspiracy theories ... except, of course, for the hashish. At any rate, pitting two ancient secret societies against each other for control of mankind works on its own as a premise. Um, that and making the good guys Muslims, if also genetically preconditioned killers.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Never played the game. I can overlook a lot of plot holes but the bad guys holding a group of guys w/ crazy killing skills in super low security detention is something even I couldn't ignore. Heck, they freely let the 'captured' assassins walk around w/ knives. WTF? Also thought the high tech parkour machine seemed out of place and pointless. Could've achieved same result by hanging them from a rope. It's not as if that machine could've actually simulated the feel of actual complex environments. It can't even simulate a simple slanted rooftop. That wasn't in the actual game, was it?
.Q.
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic