Importance of Weapons in Your System?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Importance of Weapons in Your System?

Postby greytowhite on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:28 pm

I practice "vibratory" strikes on metal bus poles, metal sheeting, and various bicycle lock installations. At first I was striking with sticks and noticed a distinct ringing noise that would also make the whole thing feel like a back massager to the touch. Then I dropped the sticks and tried just my palms - a bit more difficult to get the ring but once I figured it out it's pretty easy now.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Currently I'm sittig in a room in rural Ireland, 36km fro the nearest police station, my neighbour across the field Paraig Nally is an interesting fellow...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_John_Ward

Paraig, ain't a racist, although his experience brought out the racism in many Irish people, he'd have shot a martian just as happily for tormenting him the same way.

SO, here in rural Ireland, self defense is mandatory.. the state and law is but abstraction...

SO as I type, I have within 10 feet, 5 jians, 4 daos, 8 knives, a 50 pound recurve bow (hunting) and a 120 pound war bow and oh yea, a katana on a wall. In the next room there's 4 functional spears, and about 10 staffs, a further 2 jians and 2 european swords, and a rake of metal training jians and daos.

When I return back inside the main house, there will be two shillelaghs at the door, another hanging off a light switch inside the dining room, the house contains kids, so bar kitchen implements the next sabre is to be found in the corner of our bedroom, along with a retractable baton and a few knives...

Now, I'm pretty surgical with those weapons, and the law states as a martial artist I've good reason to have them, the law also changed thanks to Paraig above, and we no longer must retreat, but can use the force we deem necessary to defend ourselves, our family, and interestingly, our property!!!

For "my" system, weapons are essential, I've a family, and live isolated, an equalizer is essential.

The only question is should I have a hole dug somewhere in order to avoid retaliation from the scumbag relatives of scumbags, and prevent all the hassle of having to look over my shoulder if I get the police involved post an incident ? (I probably have enough petrol to torch a van in a nearby city and purge it of DNA, although perhaps I should also collect a few hairs from the local barber?

;-)
Last edited by Niall Keane on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Are you sure that you're not living in Syria?? Nice weapons collection, though. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:04 pm

greytowhite wrote:I practice "vibratory" strikes on metal bus poles, metal sheeting, and various bicycle lock installations. At first I was striking with sticks and noticed a distinct ringing noise that would also make the whole thing feel like a back massager to the touch. Then I dropped the sticks and tried just my palms - a bit more difficult to get the ring but once I figured it out it's pretty easy now.

Try that one trees. That's one of the methods I learned to Fajin.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:50 am

I just watched the brick video. I would hold the brick in my leading hand. Why try to grab the knife hand when you can hit it with the brick?? These types of demos don't interest me that much anymore. I only like free format stuff now. If you really have the goods, the applications will come to you naturally. It reminds me of FMA, where the "attacker" just stands there and the "defender" "flows" through a hundred different applications...

Still, I realise now that the weapon doesn't matter that much. Windmaker gave me a good suggestion; just choose some practical weapons (or objects) that I like and make my own system.

The Neigong is where the power comes from and that will extend into whatever weapon I pick up. And pretty much all of the techniques that I use can benefit from holding some type of weapon in one or both hands. Perfect. 8-)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:33 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:I just watched the brick video. I would hold the brick in my leading hand. Why try to grab the knife hand when you can hit it with the brick?? These types of demos don't interest me that much anymore. I only like free format stuff now. If you really have the goods, the applications will come to you naturally. It reminds me of FMA, where the "attacker" just stands there and the "defender" "flows" through a hundred different applications...

Still, I realise now that the weapon doesn't matter that much. Windmaker gave me a good suggestion; just choose some practical weapons (or objects) that I like and make my own system.

The Neigong is where the power comes from and that will extend into whatever weapon I pick up. And pretty much all of the techniques that I use can benefit from holding some type of weapon in one or both hands. Perfect. 8-)

If its to be based on hand methods, perhaps deerhorn / mandarin duck knives?
Difficult to get a good set, made of NOT stainless steel and without the "symmetrical" look that leaves a blade ripe to slash your own forearm. (the traditional ones have 3 not four protrusile blades, so the weapon can be supported by the forearm to receive strikes of other weapons and subsequently apply chin na on weapons and limbs. Can't do this safely or without hindrance with a blade seeking open your own artery!) ) I'd love a set myself, perhaps of spring steel, good robust tool grade hardcore practical integrity... ;-)
I wouldn't give a flying fuck about the forms either, if you can use your forearms and fists, as us CMA lads should be able to, then its just making them blades.
Last edited by Niall Keane on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 pm

That's a good point, but we can't carry deerhorns (or pretty much any traditional weapons) all the time. I think that it would be more practical to incorporate everyday items that are in our homes or frequently found when we are out and about. I mean, that's how some traditional weapons started out. That being said, deerhorn knives are pretty fucking cool. 8-)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby zrm on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:09 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:
greytowhite wrote:I practice "vibratory" strikes on metal bus poles, metal sheeting, and various bicycle lock installations. At first I was striking with sticks and noticed a distinct ringing noise that would also make the whole thing feel like a back massager to the touch. Then I dropped the sticks and tried just my palms - a bit more difficult to get the ring but once I figured it out it's pretty easy now.

Try that one trees. That's one of the methods I learned to Fajin.

People always bag out those floppy wushu sabres and swords but they do make a nice "shiiiink" noise when you get the energy right, which is nice feedback when going quickly through a form.

There's a lot to be said in general about using weapons as a tool to further develop body mechanics and empty hand skills. My teacher would often teach one of our staff forms with and without the staff. That particular form was just as useful as an empty hand set.
zrm
Huajing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan