Xinyi Liu He movement...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Xinyi Liu He movement...

Postby Wuji on Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm having trouble finding the name of the movement I'm looking for. Rather then finding the name, I'm wanting to verify that it's correct. My teacher called it "soaring dragon", and it's a little bit different then the other way I learned it. The way my current teacher taught it to me comes out of cat washes face, and both hands end up facing outward at what I think is a 45% angle 9give or take. One hand is on top of the other, and the front elbow is the focus (it's an elbow strike). This position allows you to go back to cat washes face, then you can do the same thing on the other side. The other variation of this I was taught is called "Long Xing Guo Heng". It doesn't come off of cat washes face, though the arms do a cleaning movement. Instead of the arms being at an angle and together, the arms are vertically overhead, and the hands aren't touching. I've seen similar movements (big and small dragon), though they didn't look the same. I thought I would ask on here and see if anyone understands the movements from my descriptions. If possible, I can try to upload some videos to youtube. I want to know if the movements are just different variations from lineage, or if both moves are the same thing. If they are different, what are the name of the movements?
Wuji
Santi

Re: Xinyi Liu He movement...

Postby dspyrido on Tue May 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Post a video.

XYLH schools vary a little between each other. I think you describe:

1. small dragon which includes the cat washes face done with a dragon "flavour" of waist turning
2. rolling dragon which does the continuous rolling movement & the arms are not wiping the face

I've seen variations on these and the dragon moves the arms.

Note I get lost with the Chinese names and translations because of language barrier, dialects & inconsistencies between schools. In the end it all really comes down to making sure there is a fluid, fast, powerful, flexible waist movement that can drive arcing strikes like short hooks, long haymakers, chops and uppercuts coming from the twisting.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan