Sensations in Hun Yuan Zhuang 浑元桩

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Sensations in Hun Yuan Zhuang 浑元桩

Postby Yeung on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 am

I am trying to develop a model for the Hun Yuan Zhuang, and I think collecting a list of sensations from practitioners and possible explanations for their sensations will be very useful. Please share your experiences here and maybe we can verify some of them with other practitioners.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Sensations in Hun Yuan Zhuang 浑元桩

Postby everything on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 am

What do you mean a model?

Some sensations:
warmth
sinking
fluid kind of flow
electrical kind of flow
fullness
heaviness
relaxation
connectedness
calm
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue May 02, 2017 6:24 am

For what practical purpose are you creating a "model" of the practice? How will that model help students or practitioners progress? (Put another way, what is the value of creating/having such a model?)

How do subjective sensations and their posited causes help support such a model? In the end, it is, traditionally, all "qi" and the movement thereof.
charles
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Tue May 02, 2017 7:19 am

An input-process-output model, and in this thread I am hoping to identify some workable output variables.

It is too early to suggest anything before we came up with any workable output variable. And the aim is certainly clear in coming up with some findings to help practitioners to improve as suggested.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue May 02, 2017 11:17 am

Yeung wrote:I am trying to develop a model for the Hun Yuan Zhuang, and I think collecting a list of sensations from practitioners and possible explanations for their sensations will be very useful. Please share your experiences here and maybe we can verify some of them with other practitioners.

The sensation is not that much different from any activity. The only distinction is that this hyperemia occurs much faster and is more consistent with yoga and taiji /qigong related exercise routines.
BTW: There is a chemical/hormonal underlying factor in hyperemia and that means that these sensation in qigong/yangshengong will have the same underlying process
http://www.cvphysiology.com/Blood%20Flow/BF005
Last edited by yeniseri on Tue May 02, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Strange on Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 pm

charles wrote:For what practical purpose are you creating a "model" of the practice? How will that model help students or practitioners progress? (Put another way, what is the value of creating/having such a model?)

How do subjective sensations and their posited causes help support such a model? In the end, it is, traditionally, all "qi" and the movement thereof.

maybe for gathering info to create a yardstick
so he can go to another forum and "measure" others
and show what an expert he is
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Wed May 03, 2017 3:19 pm

hyperemia:

Heart rate might not be a sensation, as it is measurable but not workable because the subject in a Hun Yuan Zhuang should have a stable heart rate as in any static posture.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Wed May 03, 2017 3:29 pm

The sensations of Qi 气 or energy should be interesting, any subjective description?
Yeung
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 03, 2017 5:25 pm

I listed a few
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Wed May 03, 2017 6:02 pm

This post is supposed to be deleted because I only keep my most recent 100 posts. An admin should delete it or allow users to delete their own posts to save space.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Thu May 04, 2017 3:19 am

In Yu Yong Nian´s book " Zhan Zhuang and the search of wu" you will find a description of sensations/feelings. However, how objective this is, is doubtable.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 am

Patrick wrote:In Yu Yong Nian´s book " Zhan Zhuang and the search of wu" you will find a description of sensations/feelings. However, how objective this is, is doubtable.

If read carefully, you will see that the objective criteria of >2 degrees increase of temperature, along with increase of felling i.e. hyperemia of warmth, slight sweating, increased intestinal motility (hence the Spleen/stomach model for benefit of zhanzhuang). Objecive critera is usually measyrable and Yu Yong Nian's profession as a dentist, (if I recall) does a far better job of detailing some benefit for zhuangfa.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu May 04, 2017 7:50 am

Yeung wrote:hyperemia:

Heart rate might not be a sensation, as it is measurable but not workable because the subject in a Hun Yuan Zhuang should have a stable heart rate as in any static posture.

Heart rate will differ based on degree of health status, disease, and "depth of stance' but it is rarely "stable". Perhaps its range will be stable as opposed to single digit stable.
On the other hand, one may not know the heart rate number but one can feel the increased pumping or the oppressed chest stagnation, or the difficulty breathing..a sensation that is subjectively felt!
Last edited by yeniseri on Thu May 04, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu May 04, 2017 10:32 am

All of the sensations I listed are not too difficult (AFAIK) to start to feel, but it requires patience and actual work (at relaxation).

For the objectivity part, this is not qigong, but in Psych 101, we did an experiment with all the 100-200 students in the hall. We took our HR. Then, we were given about 1 minute to think whatever to elevate our HR. Pretty much everyone could do this. This is INCREDIBLY easy to do. Then we were given about 1-2 minutes to do whatever to lower our HR. Pretty much easy to do as well. This was all objective to the extent that it can be (self-reported data, not double-blind). The moral is we have much more conscious control over some unconscious processes in the whole mind/body thing. MA nerds should already be way more in tune to this.

The qigong stuff is analogous but way more subtle and it takes some time to really even feel sensations. IF people actually bothered to do the work (I get the feeling even on RSF that no one bothers because it's kinda boring, hard to believe, etc.), then you could try to take a big survey like Yeung wants to do and just write down "here's what 100 people reported". But none of those are outputs or results. If you wanted to then record blood pressure, HR, etc., maybe that would be interesting, maybe not. You're not going to be able to record "fantastic peng and the sensations that came before" or something like that, even here on RSF. Just ain't gonna happen. MAYBE your teacher could help you, but statistical probability is insanely low.
everything
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 am

everything wrote:I listed a few

Thanks, may you like to comment on the following:

Relaxation, sinking, and calm can be classified as input variables and the outcome is heaviness, or the process of transfer weight or the body.

Increase of muscle intensity by stretching can generate warmth, but at a static muscle intensity temperature might be static as well.

Stretching the joints can produce a sense of connectedness, and that sounds like a input variable as well. And this is closely associated with the sense of fullness which is something like the whole body is expanding.

If one follows the movement of inhale and exhale, there might be a sense of flow in going out and coming in of energy, are you saying this is fluid kind of flow?

I am not sure about electrical kind of flow but it is possible to generate static electricity to cause a spark.
Yeung
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan