Sparring in CMA

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Sparring in CMA

Postby Niall Keane on Fri May 05, 2017 4:27 pm

johnwang wrote:Most CMA guys don't understand "if you don't spar/wrestle for 3 days, your arms and legs will no longer be yours". No matter how much time that you may spend in "solo" training, you just can't develop

- timing,
- opportunity, and
- angle.

+ 1
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri May 05, 2017 4:53 pm

johnwang wrote:Most CMA guys don't understand "if you don't spar/wrestle for 3 days, your arms and legs will no longer be yours". No matter how much time that you may spend in "solo" training, you just can't develop

- timing,
- opportunity, and
- angle.

Develop what against who?

Anyone stepping into a ring without prepping for the ring is in for a rude awakening.

Styles that have reps as fighting arts spend a lot of time developing their skill sets relative to the intended level of usage. Preping for ring events is very intensive, many do not have the time nor interest.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby flower monk on Fri May 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Most CMA guys don't understand "if you don't spar/wrestle for 3 days, your arms and legs will no longer be yours". No matter how much time that you may spend in "solo" training, you just can't develop

- timing,
- opportunity, and
- angle.

Only 3 days?

Training by yourself, will create a hightened sense of awareness, and this is just as important as real life sparring.
flower monk
Santi

Postby bartekb on Fri May 05, 2017 11:17 pm

flower monk wrote:Training by yourself, will create a hightened sense of awareness, and this is just as important as real life sparring.

the problem is this "sense" is quite subjective
contrary to timing for example which you can observe
and you might end up in the same deluded situation as the taichi master on the recently posted video
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Fatal Rose on Sun May 07, 2017 11:04 am

Do you think martial arts schools who advertise self defense as a part of their curriculum, yet they don't spar or have proper resistance training should remove SD from one of the features of the school?
Talking Fists Podcast
Fatal Rose
Santi

Postby johnwang on Sun May 07, 2017 11:12 am

Fatal Rose wrote:Do you think martial arts schools who advertise self defense as a part of their curriculum, yet they don't spar or have proper resistance training should remove SD from one of the features of the school?

If you

- are a massage therapist, you should not call yourself a Taiji master.
- have no fighting skill, you should not claim your internal power is too "deadly".

Chinese media reports have revealed that instead of being a tai chi master, Wei is actually a massage therapist, that once trained in some tai chi. After the humiliating defeat, Wei's tai chi instructor was quoted by EToday as saying "he did not achieve mastery of kung fu," and both his teacher and tai chi classmates opposed his participation in the bout. Wei for his part claims he slipped because he had a new pair of shoes that were slippery on the padded floor they fought on and he said he refrained from using the internal power of tai chi because it was too "deadly."

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3158002
Last edited by johnwang on Sun May 07, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun May 07, 2017 12:32 pm

don't know about this case. both parties sound like idiots/fools who had nothing to gain.

in general, however, self-defense classes should be able to help an old lady or a little kid who aren't going to be "fighters".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm

When are we going to have an rsf meet-up and put this all to rest? Let's touch hands with everyone then go have a pint and a laugh. No one I have touched hands with has been disappointed. Summer is coming to sunny California. I spent the weekend in Point Reyes. It could be worse.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Not training for 3 days you loose it all
If that's true I can't come to the meet up in California
I'll loose it all on the way over
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon May 08, 2017 2:10 am

Taste of Death wrote:When are we going to have an rsf meet-up and put this all to rest? Let's touch hands with everyone then go have a pint and a laugh. No one I have touched hands with has been disappointed. Summer is coming to sunny California. I spent the weekend in Point Reyes. It could be worse.

No ones touch had been dissapointed here though, only their eyes and sensibilities offended. I just happen to know the cure!! ;D
I also wanted to address one more thing. Maarten picked up on the idea that the discussion was steered towards TCMA being effective in competion and that being the only measure we care about..., or that it was steered toward it having to prove itself there - or whatever it gets twisted into.

It's still bullshit, all of it.

The reason the discussion has been steered that way is precisely because the critique made was of a competition clip or clips. There's nothing unfair about asking for like for like to support a critique. Unfortunately what is expected or argued for in these disagreements never really exists; you know just maybe there's a clue there. If it was sparring, I wouldn't care, I've seen his clip of sparring and countless others, I've seen lot's of competition clips too. I'm not the one who has a problem with the levels of CMA flavour I see or don't see in any of them, and I don't go around mouthing off about it in public either.

Now, people are also accused of not appreciating or beleiving in the effectiveness of TCMA. That is not it at all. The fact of the matter is effectiveness of a martial art, style, system, man, women is wholly RELATIVE. The biggest perhaps being against who or what.. It's a a great idea having meets ups the more variation of styles/ training the better, good luck making it happen, if I was around I'd be there.

Anyway I'm going to leave this article by David Ross here, there's some crazy old footage in there for good measure.
https://nysanda.wordpress.com/2014/12/08/805/

Stay awesome dude, I'm off for more padwork! ;)
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 am

If it happens, get video!

Can't beleive this was 9 years ago now. Just crazy. I'm in there, this was the first forum meet up I was part of. Good times.
But 9 years!!

You see me pop up wearing black and then white T shirts. I'd like to think I'm better now at sparring, maybe :)
Last edited by cloudz on Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon May 08, 2017 7:22 am

That sounds/looks like fun. Everything discussed in this thread and the KO thread and similar ones is what always makes yiquan seem so appealing as far as IMA go. Basically just do standing (for whatever benefits, whether or not you want to include qigong) and then a lot of sparring. That sounds fairly ideal.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Fatal Rose on Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 am

I went to a TaiJiQuan school recently and asked if we'll do lite sparring, he said no. :-(
Talking Fists Podcast
Fatal Rose
Santi

Postby Pavel Macek on Wed May 10, 2017 6:21 am

Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Postby Fatal Rose on Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am

I think I found it...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCG0AKX0RhRoFKuOxaFTGHHg

Plenty of Xingyiquan sparring in this. Seems legit.
Talking Fists Podcast
Fatal Rose
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan