Specific Personal IMA Milestones and Goals

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Specific Personal IMA Milestones and Goals

Postby bruised on Sat May 06, 2017 6:49 pm

I decided that i should edit my videos more before posting them. is anyone really watching the whole vlog videos? in the process of editing, I get distracted and just want to train. I was then reminded once again, that training is more enjoyable than talking about it. Ive gotten some good feedback on my videos. My techniques have refined further since those uploads. I focus my movements to be more global now. The tweeking like movements are just examples of how i was thinking about the connections in my body. very focal on specific tension or injury. I've now developed some larger parth way movements that resembles something more like your traditional taiji. I'm using the anatomy trains a movement guide.

I'm currently working on connecting all movements to my ming men or life gate, specifically to the psoas to the legs.

just the bit of interaction i've had here in this forum has led me to other numerous topics that helped answer questions i had. I definitely feel that I'm on the right path. another writer that I've stumbled across is Christopher Davis http://www.internalpowertraining.com/ he writes about the same things i think about. Something that I may contribute to his system might be specific methods and sensations of tissue softening (releasing tensions). is he a part of this forum?

I have also found a school to start practice at: http://www.wudangdanpai.com/

i may just disappear for a while again, at least until i have more time to edit videos and write better descriptions.

thanks for keeping an open mind everything! how do i do a rooting test?

anyone wanna spar in seattle?
bruised
Mingjing

Postby Finny on Sat May 06, 2017 11:32 pm

Yes, Chris Davis has been a member here forever. I'm sure he'd love to hear about what you can contribute to his system, with all your experience and expertise in the area.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sat May 06, 2017 11:33 pm

Have fun with the wudang pai folks - I think you'll fit right in.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun May 07, 2017 9:18 am

for simple tests, just stand in whatever (strong at first) stance and have someone slowly push against you. see if you can root and not be moved. try it in a more natural (not so mechanically strong) stance. see if you can still root. see if you can "expand" in all directions while you do that. see if you can align your internal process and your external form and movement. see what happens if you're trying to some kind of qigong while doing these simple exercises. for example "hold the ball" and have someone push more on one side and see if you can "borrow" the energy so it goes around your arms and pushes them from your other side. keep this slow and simple. that should be good enough for now.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby bruised on Sun May 07, 2017 10:44 am

everything wrote:for simple tests, just stand in whatever (strong at first) stance and have someone slowly push against you. see if you can root and not be moved. try it in a more natural (not so mechanically strong) stance. see if you can still root. see if you can "expand" in all directions while you do that. see if you can align your internal process and your external form and movement. see what happens if you're trying to some kind of qigong while doing these simple exercises. for example "hold the ball" and have someone push more on one side and see if you can "borrow" the energy so it goes around your arms and pushes them from your other side. keep this slow and simple. that should be good enough for now.

yep i can do this. you want a vid tho? have to find partner to help.

something i do all the time is ride the subway standing parallel to the direction of travel (feet facing forward or backwards) and not hold onto anything and maintain balance inside my body to maintain balance outside the body. they way i do it and when it feels efficient is when i don't have to use my calves so much. When the force throws me forward, i think about my head and chest rotating downwards and the structure of my torso pushes downwards on my pelvis and i feel the force transfer downward towards my knees and then into the feet. when the force pushes me backwards i let my head and torso push down on my ming men then down the posterior chain (through dantian) I like doing this with eyes closed so i have less time to predict the forces, i like to try to feel the force and "react" as instant as possible. at first i would often over compensate and push myself over the opposite direction of the outside force.
bruised
Mingjing

Postby bruised on Sun May 07, 2017 11:15 am

Finny wrote:Yes, Chris Davis has been a member here forever. I'm sure he'd love to hear about what you can contribute to his system, with all your experience and expertise in the area.

I've read most of his blog and all his youtube vids and he is one of the few that emphasize "tissue softening" as far of what literature i've encountered. Its a topic of interest for me. I'm sure he has much more knowledge on the subject then has been publicly written, but of what he's posted about on the blog related to tissue softening is very introductory. i should do some of his online on demand lessons.

to quote from another one of my posts:
I have studied my own tensions and can break it down to sensing, understanding, control, transfer, balance

most people "stretch" their muscles incorrectly. most people don't know that they are hyper extending joints by way of the common stretch methods. I have yet to develop an articulate way to describe my method. it involves:
-sense by pin pointing where discomfort is (by way of relaxing and being sensitive enough to feel at the very start of the pain sensation in a range of motion)
-understanding what is causing the discomfort (this takes knowledge and experience). I like following the tension from the area of pain along anatomy trains or smaller "orbits." most of the time, the cause of pain is on opposite side of point of pain on other part of the orbit!!!!!!!!
-control the tension by mastering the involved muscles of the orbit. you want to expand the orbit and find out where there is too much tensions and where it is slacked and where it might be impinged. usually multiple orbits involved in a point of pain. its like untying a knot, got to have a sort of order of operation to things or else, just tugging on tensions could lead to worst tension build ups or injuries or worse. very common that many imbalances are factors to specific pain or tension.
-transfer the tensions out of small systems into larger systems where you can spread the tension across whole body pathways (anatomy trains) achieving harmony in that orbit and effectively balancing the tension in your body (i think it maybe more accurate to say balance tensions, not release?)

my tensions are what guide my standing meditation. my main standing meditation posture is the pile stance (i imagine my body is a bile of rocks or balls i have to balance). I stand in this posture and try to find "neutral position" in all my major joints by way of paying attention muscles subtle "stretch" sensations as well as pins or pangs of discomfort or pain or by encountering of impingement through motion. peal the onion layers of distractions and ego then, I connect to breath (breath here means "control-ness" or "connectedness" of whole body). What i try to do is consciously relax as many muscles as possible while maintaining the balance i have in mind. when i reach a sort of hemostasis, i body scan for more muscles to relax. it is amazing how many muscles are flexed for "no reason". many times i will relax a unfamiliar muscles or joint and will start to feel tension or pain immediately. this is how i "hunt" my tensions. this tells me that my body created a "lock" to protect from painful sensations.(locked "body chambers") If i relax just enough, to the edge where the pain just begins, I can explore the dynamics of the system or "orbit" in question. (balanced orbit=unlocked body chamber)

when your body scanning skills develop, it is like your consciousness is a pin point that can travel anywhere inside your body. I use external palpation and body wiggles (this is what looks like tweeking or dancing to many of you) and taichi movements to activate these specific physical paths (tendon, fascia network connected to breath and movement). to me this is exploring the inner realm. once you understand the systems at play, alot of power and coordination force can be developed inside the body and then transferred out.

also the goal is to release as much inner tensions out of your body so your mind and body is free to sense more and express more efficiently. I believe that masters who develop kung fu forms do so in a manner that allows tensions to be balanced across the whole body and for inner body awareness to develop. that is the true purpose of all the "funny" forms in kung fu. of course each of the poses or forms can be made practical for some sort of situation as well.

I chose the wudang pai school for the foundation of knowledge it sits on. I very much want to practice a Dao based practice vs Buddhism based (i'm talking about the esoteric teachings here)
bruised
Mingjing

Postby everything on Sun May 07, 2017 12:27 pm

bruised wrote:
everything wrote:for simple tests, just stand in whatever (strong at first) stance and have someone slowly push against you. see if you can root and not be moved. try it in a more natural (not so mechanically strong) stance. see if you can still root. see if you can "expand" in all directions while you do that. see if you can align your internal process and your external form and movement. see what happens if you're trying to some kind of qigong while doing these simple exercises. for example "hold the ball" and have someone push more on one side and see if you can "borrow" the energy so it goes around your arms and pushes them from your other side. keep this slow and simple. that should be good enough for now.

yep i can do this. you want a vid tho? have to find partner to help.

this kind of exercise isn't really anything to show anyone, it's just something to do and then make "internal" adjustments.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan