Liu Rui 刘 瑞 (Zhaobao taijiquan) died

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Liu Rui 刘 瑞 (Zhaobao taijiquan) died

Postby Jarek on Wed May 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Tom, thank you for posting the information.
Few have been exposed to the style taught by late Master Liu Rui, and words of videos can only say and show this much. I do not want to express my opinion about his skill, being Master Liu's disciple, and obviously biased. TCMA community lost a person of rare skill.
R.I.P.
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 am

So sad to hear of his passing. Never met him, but from various sources M Liu seemed to have a high level of skill, RIP :'(

Jarek, as you studied with him for many years, could you share some stories of why you started studying with him, how he taught, etc? Think it would be of real value for anyone interested in this style.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu May 11, 2017 1:27 am

Sorry for the loss. RIP
Had not seen this one before, really nice.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Jarek on Thu May 11, 2017 1:44 am

Jon, his teaching style was different from anything I had been exposed to, apart from maybe the daoist practices. The classes were like meditation sessions, and in the beginning I was not sold on to it - until I saw what he could do. He completely rejected any strength training, any use of physical strength, even a bit. When he applied his style, his applications were completely effortless - I mean completely. Hard to believe, you would have to feel it. My feeling was that he had an extremely high level of returning your own power to you, so did not need to add anything else on top - well, maybe apart from some help from the gravity.

Internally he could do things you read about in books, but I do not want to discuss it here. BTW I do not think he could throw people around without touching them.

The funny thing is his TJQ routine seems so incredibly useless, weak and unattractive...

Jarek
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 pm

R.I.P.

Jarek wrote:He completely rejected any strength training, any use of physical strength, even a bit. When he applied his style, his applications were completely effortless - I mean completely. Hard to believe, you would have to feel it. My feeling was that he had an extremely high level of returning your own power to you, so did not need to add anything else on top - well, maybe apart from some help from the gravity.

Seems like high quality Tai Chi. Interesting fellow. Would love to hear more stories, from you or from his students.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Martin on Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 am

RIP.

Jarek, very sorry to hear this!
Martin
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan