ketogenic/LCHF/etc. diets

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

ketogenic/LCHF/etc. diets

Postby everything on Thu May 11, 2017 7:21 am

Anyone doing these? I mean I've been reducing high glycemic and processed carbs and sugars (still have fruit and some honey in tea) but I wouldn't say I have a high fat diet. It's hard to believe in "ketosis" and to know the health pros/cons, but anyone want to share some anecdotal experiences?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: ketogenic/LCHF/etc. diets

Postby Dmitri on Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 am

Couple of people I know are on ketogenic diet (one more than the other), and some others have played with it -- all reporting extremely good results/very excited about how effective this is. So there's no need to "believe in ketosis" -- it's objective reality. :) Although joking aside -- yeah I definitely know what you mean, it really does feel almost counter-intuitive, especially after having been bombarded for several decades(!) by the "eating fat is bad" messages from every single angle, from government to health advocates. It's really great to see the good info spreading around more.

Depending on your activity level you don't have to go completely-ketosis, but again one guy I know has been in that state for a few months now and feeling great.
If you're exercising enough, there's nothing wrong with carbs -- as long as they're not highly-processed/not coming mostly from things like white bread(-related products), pasta(-related products), etc.

Good luck!
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu May 11, 2017 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu May 11, 2017 8:32 am

A friend of mine was raving about it to me last time I visited. He has Tim Ferris book, and was really excited by it all. I tried Atkins years ago and it worked really well. I did start to feel a bit wierd after a couple of weeks. Not sure if that was Ketosis, but I think I might have done a more extreme version than is recommended today, not quite sure on that. I just loved that it worked and I was eating things like chicken curry full of cream!!
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 am

Excess bodyfat levels outside the morbidly obese are almost always the result of carbohydrate metabolism issues in my experience.

In these cases the question is how much you need to cut back your carbohydrate consumption and unfortunately this is highly individualized. Some guys just need to cut out the soda and others as Chales Poliquin says, "get one lick of a dusty prune every two weeks."

Generally speaking anyone can do low carb style eating.

Ketogenic gets a little more complicated. I'd say 80-90% of people handle it fine. The remaining end up with elevated cholesterol panels. So, try it for six weeks and do blood work. Without the blood work you are really shooting in the dark in regards to long term health.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Thu May 11, 2017 9:37 am

the ketogenic diet stuff seems to be hitting the mainstream more in recent times -- as in the news and what not
I think i read a couple months back that they were interested in exploring the diet for extended space travel...

anyways-- have you seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zGa3DfCrLe

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu May 11, 2017 10:38 am

Peacedog wrote:Ketogenic gets a little more complicated. I'd say 80-90% of people handle it fine. The remaining end up with elevated cholesterol panels. So, try it for six weeks and do blood work. Without the blood work you are really shooting in the dark in regards to long term health.

Ah yeah I am getting a new doctor, so this will be an interesting topic. I have already cut out almost all refined sugars and high glycemic processed carbs. I'll eat rice and some fresh bread and some fresh fruit smoothies, so there is some opportunity to reduce some more carbs, although it's probably not necessary. I doubt I need to lose more bodyfat, but wouldn't mind doing that mainly for vanity and minimal athletic performance help. I don't eat red meat or dairy so I'm not going to start eating curried beef with heavy cream every meal. Adding more good fat may be possible, though, if the net benefit is all positive - not just feeling good but more bodyfat burning, better "good" cholesterol, reduced inflammation, etc, etc.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic