WC vs Boxing challenge match

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

WC vs Boxing challenge match

Postby C.J.W. on Fri May 12, 2017 4:20 pm

In light of the recent MMA vs. Taiji incident, here's another much lesser known challenge match that took place in HK that's been circulating on the web since 2010. The WC teacher was involved in a heated online argument with the boxer, and decided to call him out. (The boxer was a former middleweight pro and member of HK Olympic boxing team.) 

Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri May 12, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Re: WC vs Boxing challenge match

Postby windwalker on Fri May 12, 2017 4:44 pm

I never understood how they can give away so much and still expect to survive. Height weight size advantage boxer. Actually the boxer took it easy on the Wing Chun guy.

One cannot remain within a boxer's range not knowing how to box and expect to survive. It would seem like the teacher did not follow the tenants of his art. Happens.

WC has it's wooden dummy training and also it's bridging and sticking hands training. Taiji has it's Push Hands training. Sometimes people are good in training but not so good at usage.

Boxers on the other hand achieve their status through usage demonstrated in a ring not through their training.

Kudos to both. Hope​ they resolved their differences
Last edited by windwalker on Fri May 12, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Fri May 12, 2017 5:06 pm

windwalker wrote:I never understood how they can give away so much and still expect to survive. Height weight size advantage boxer. Actually the boxer took it easy on the Wing Chun guy.

I just couldn't figure out why on earth would anyone ever want to challenge an Olympian boxer to a fight. The WC guy was either really brave or....really dumb. ;D
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Strange on Fri May 12, 2017 5:33 pm

if you want to go in
you must have control
if not, very dangerous

sometimes ppl say tcma crazy
height weight reach never consider
but tcma is suppose to be very vicious
and strike vital "pain" points
if you are not able to do this....
then can be problematic....

like talking non-stop round and round
and cannot find the answer.
Last edited by Strange on Fri May 12, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri May 12, 2017 5:36 pm

absurd. all this b.s. makes me want to learn boxing, though. clearly the olympian was taking it so easy, even putting one arm behind his back. the wc guy was trying pretty hard. no disrespect to wc. even if they were equally skilled in boxing, that reach difference is absurd.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri May 12, 2017 6:26 pm

everything wrote:absurd. all this b.s. makes me want to learn boxing, though. clearly the olympian was taking it so easy, even putting one arm behind his back. the wc guy was trying pretty hard. no disrespect to wc. even if they were equally skilled in boxing, that reach difference is absurd.

If you saw this would you then want to learn wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9poeyYI ... e=youtu.be

IMO the point is that sometimes people feel they have skills sets that really they do not for the styles they use or claim to know.
What should very clear is that each stuck to what they were trained to do, attempting to use this against each other.

For much of CMA somehow this does not seem to be the case.

Why this is so, I would tend to look at training methods and theories of use...

number one rule when facing a boxer and one is not a boxer...don't box :P

As young guy using hop gar, with out kicking I used to try against people who did box.
It worked well after I stopped trying to box them, I did not know how to box they did.
They did not know "long arm" I did, worked very well ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri May 12, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri May 12, 2017 6:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXc5yJ5hdn0

This was a friend of mines teacher back in the day.
He and another friend had a full contact match, my other friend trained at a local kick boxing gym...

I had expected the wing chun guy to dominant and finish the match very quickly. Instead the kick boxer
moved, stuck and eventually won the match.

I had asked my wing chun friend what happened he said " He felt like he couldn't' move"
I attributed this to some of the training methods used, and power generation methods taught.

It was interesting at the time....

Met Chris, a long time ago,,,,
not someone a person would want to mess around with...
wing chun, in vogue due to Bruce Lee, back in the day.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri May 12, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri May 12, 2017 7:00 pm

yeah wc is an inside game type of art and that guy just wasn't going to be able to get inside. yeah everyone should learn wrestling.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri May 12, 2017 7:08 pm

even if they were equally skilled in boxing, that reach difference is absurd.

all this means is that one should attack what is given, not what is wanted...
they give the arm in trying to hit, kill it on the way in....no need to get inside.
once the door is broken their is no inside.

Get what your saying, just a different perspective.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 pm

It seems to me that the boxer did his homework and knew that WC works best at close-range and relies heavily on arm contact. That's why he used his footwork and reach advantage to keep the WC guy at bay and play hit and run, which led to a successful knockout.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon May 15, 2017 1:20 am

It seems to me that the boxer did his homework and knew that WC works best at close-range and relies heavily on arm contact. That's why he used his footwork and reach advantage to keep the WC guy at bay and play hit and run, which led to a successful knockout.

This highlights that the boxer is more adaptable than the Wing Chun guy dispite the comparitive lack of techniques available to the Boxer.

The ability to Change in accordance with the conditions of the fight, and adapt to the style of the person before you seems to be the one of the main things missing in these matches. Regidity of mind is a major stumbling block ... after all 'No plan survives contact with the enemy'.
Last edited by middleway on Mon May 15, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 am

middleway wrote:

This highlights that the boxer is more adaptable than the Wing Chun guy dispite the comparitive lack of techniques available to the Boxer.

The ability to Change in accordance with the conditions of the fight, and adapt to the style of the person before you seems to be the one of the main things missing in these matches. Regidity of mind is a major stumbling block ... after all 'No plan survives contact with the enemy'.

That's one of the downsides of learning a "style" and spending most of your time refining very specific solo (for the most part) movements
Last edited by RobP3 on Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 15, 2017 3:09 am

I was listening to a podcast today that I was quite enjoying - about a Japanese Tai Chi/XingYi/Systema/mediation/healing guy... it was all very interesting until he got on to describing the difference between internal martial arts and 'other' martial arts. Apparently he thinks boxing and MMA (which he called "UFC" - groan - ) is just using force to beat force - that's it - no subtlety, nothing. And it's therefore no use for the rest of your life. Made me angry so I had to turn it off because that is such bullshit.

I think this is the problem with a lot of people that do Chinese martial arts - this mindset - they think they have a monopoly on subtle or clever ways to use power and technique - they think boxing is just 'dumb'. They really have no idea how much technique, and subtly is involved in things like boxing, wrestling, jiujitsu and MMA. Boxing is an art!

Just because nobody talks about qi and doesn't try to make it all mysterious doesn't mean it's not 'high level'.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon May 15, 2017 3:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon May 15, 2017 4:55 am

middleway wrote:This highlights that the boxer is more adaptable than the Wing Chun guy dispite the comparitive lack of techniques available to the Boxer.

Yeah. The wing chun guy eats the same lead hook multiple times :D
Ian

Postby wiesiek on Tue May 16, 2017 3:00 am

me thinkin`,
that,
this is the "classic" example of winning by better physical ,
both has the some MA knowledge
but
boxer is outgrowing wc guy physically in two ways - genetics and trainings routines.
Last edited by wiesiek on Tue May 16, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links