just basically copy the yiquan model

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: just basically copy the yiquan model

Postby johnwang on Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 pm

XingYi emphasizes on "fast walking" even on the soft sand. This training is not emphasized by Yi Chuan. Did anybody every question this?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Sat May 13, 2017 2:27 am

What is "fast walking"?
Yi Quan as I learned it emphasizes speed quite a lot. A lot of foot work, similar to boxing, and punching training with a focus on retreating (as if punching a hot plate). But styles are styles and people are people. What one does with the style is one´s own responsibility.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat May 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Patrick wrote:What is "fast walking"?
Yi Quan as I learned it emphasizes speed quite a lot. A lot of foot work, similar to boxing, and punching training with a focus on retreating (as if punching a hot plate). But styles are styles and people are people. What one does with the style is one´s own responsibility.

The term Xing in XingYi can also mean "walking". The whole XingYi style is built on "fast walking".

Do you have any clip for Yi Quan foot work?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sat May 13, 2017 9:49 pm

"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sun May 14, 2017 12:47 am

johnwang wrote:XingYi emphasizes on "fast walking" even on the soft sand. This training is not emphasized by Yi Chuan. Did anybody every question this?

I think they do.
In Xingyi or Yiquan or Baji is called 提籠換步
In Xinyi is called 雞步
In Pigua/Tongbei called 雞腳步~
In some style of Xingyi is 馬形 galloping
Minor differences btw essentially same~
Overlord

Postby edededed on Sun May 14, 2017 4:35 am

At least the basic stepping practices for xingyiquan and yiquan are different now.

Yiquan practices "mocabu" (friction step), which is said to have been created from baguazhang influence, but baguazhang does not usually practice stepping in a zig-zag way that much as is the standard mocabu method. But mocabu is kind of like xingyiquan stepping, but mainly zig-zag.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sun May 14, 2017 8:23 am

edededed wrote:At least the basic stepping practices for xingyiquan and yiquan are different now.

Yiquan practices "mocabu" (friction step), which is said to have been created from baguazhang influence, but baguazhang does not usually practice stepping in a zig-zag way that much as is the standard mocabu method. But mocabu is kind of like xingyiquan stepping, but mainly zig-zag.

Mocabu stepping is multidirectional (8 directions). Han Shi Yi Quan has following, triangle, cart, skip and glide steps, among others. We also do xingyi's five energy fists but with an yiquan flavor.

Like Xingyi one can build up to stepping for a mile (or 10 lengths of a football or rugby pitch) with each fist. Our beng, tsuan and pi chuan move in a straight line and heng and pao chuan utilize a skip step.
Last edited by Taste of Death on Sun May 14, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun May 14, 2017 9:09 am

Maybe, instead of following the Yiquan model, try following Dachequan model. Once you know you do not study Yiquan and you realize it is an achievement, maybe then you will seek to understand and deeply practice the principe of internal martial art, only then will you have Yiquan.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun May 14, 2017 10:06 am

I think you're right. Roughly, I would crudely summarize that as: master xingyiquan. Study with your uncle who is reputed to be the best at the art. Learn other IMA from some top people around the (very big) country. Remove excessive form. Keep removing. Do a lot of sparring with the best possible sparring partners around. Keep distilling. Achieve "formlessness" even though you knew a lot of forms before.

Unfortunately I'm too old and not talented with no famous uncles to do that, so I would prefer to (theoretically): learn what IMA I can at whatever my mediocre level. Get together with RSF and similar people and learn some sparring of different types. That seems good enough for an amateur, middle-aged, rec athlete, hobbyist level. Sigh. :-\
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun May 14, 2017 4:08 pm

I think it is not so difficult reach a place in which true internal principle has been ingrained, that you may find that it leads you to proper movement while learning technique, sans a famous uncle or high handed sparring. Diligence and a qualified teacher is all necessary to achieve understanding. But you cannot strip away what you have never learned, this will leave you wanting when confronted with skilled opponents.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 am

Definitely agree. I picked up some skill and understanding over the years. Although, no false modesty, I'm just hobbyist/recreational level. It's ok.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon May 15, 2017 10:36 pm

edededed wrote:At least the basic stepping practices for xingyiquan and yiquan are different now.

As i have learned Mocabu(in Beijing), the exersice is of course a whole body exercise(not just stepping) there is a whole lot of mind work that involve the whole body going on when practising it. One should try to find a very good teacher to learn it the correct way. This is basically the only exersice from Yiquan i nowdays do. My teacher told me that one of his gongfu brothers for solo exercise just practise Mocabu and running.
Trick

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan