THE BRAIN

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

THE BRAIN

Postby KEND on Mon May 15, 2017 1:47 pm

I have been watching a program called 'The Brain' with David Eagleton in the UK. I understand it was on PBS in the USA. It may be old hat to the neuroscientists on the forum[I believe there are three or four] but it was an eye opener for me. I was familiar with much of the info but Eagleman, in a relaxed way applies neuroscience to wide range of subjects:
the nature of reality/decisions/addiction/memory/genocide etc. Recommended for anyone who is interested in human behavior.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: THE BRAIN

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon May 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. We were talking about neuroscience in colloquium today. It was a seminar with the entire cohort of history students and we were examining memory in history. We read and discussed Schlink's Guilt About the Past, Nossack's account of the firebombing of Hamburg, The End, Rousso's The Latest Catastrophe, and Rieff's In Praise of Forgetting. One thing that one of the Profs leading the seminar brought up was the massive problem that historians have of ignoring the last 30 years of neuroscience. We (historians) have come to recognize the problematic nature of both individual and collective memory, but neuroscience makes it clear that "problematic" is an extremely euphemistic term. I hope we can begin to incorporate these advancements into the future construction and shaping of collective memories. d

Also, we have three or four neuroscientists on here? :o
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Re: THE BRAIN

Postby KEND on Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Posted last year on nervous system and had several people comment who seemed to be experts.Had hoped they would comment, Eagleman seems to be a high flier
KEND
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic