Smartphone query

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Smartphone query

Postby KEND on Tue May 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Thinking of buying a Samsung smartphone with double sim card. Is it possible to have 2 simcards from different carriers in different countries
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Smartphone query

Postby Bill on Tue May 16, 2017 2:40 pm

I found this....

When overseas, pop in a local SIM card and pay the same rates as the local people and when you need to, you can use your main SIM card for those urgent calls back to the motherland.

From...https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2011/09/12/8-reasons-to-opt-for-a-dual-sim-phone/#bgIZVXXxb3ESI5UT.97
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue May 16, 2017 10:09 pm

KEND wrote:Thinking of buying a Samsung smartphone with double sim card. Is it possible to have 2 simcards from different carriers in different countries

Yes, it's no problem at all. The technology of the mobile phone and the carriers is designed for international use and I currently do it every day here in China, as well as when I travel to other countries. The phone allows both SIM cards to be essentially simultaneously available to receive SMS texts and voice calls.

If my base country is China and I travel to the UK, I can leave my China SIM in my phone and receive voice and SMS, then install a local UK SIM to have a local number, cheaper data, cheaper outgoing calls, whatever.

On the internet data side, you manually choose which SIM card to use and you can easily switch back and forth between SIM's with around 10-30 seconds transition time.

Side note: for internet data, if you roam internationally and use a SIM card from country Y inside of country X, the carrier network inside country Y will route your internet data back to country Y.
Michael

Postby KEND on Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 am

Thanks for your help, I think that answers all my questions. I currently have sim cards on separate phones for the UK[EE] and USA [T MOBILE], in Thailand I used a limited time sim card on a cell phone, will probably do that for any other countries I visit[have numbers on phone rather than sim card]
KEND
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic