Who is right and who is wrong?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Who is right and who is wrong?

Postby johnwang on Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Assume A and B are training partner.

A: Please move your one leg across your another leg. When you do that, I can train my "foot sweep' on you.
B: But I'll never cross my leg in front of my opponent when I'm in his kicking range.
A: It's just an training exercise.
B: Even if it's just an training exercise, I'll not violate my principle.

A: Pleas grab my wrist with your "tiger mouse" facing to me, so I can train how to break your grip, and counter back.
B: But I'll always grab your wrist with "tiger mouth" facing toward myself. I'll never grab your wrist with "tiger mouth" facing toward you.

Who is right, and who is wrong? Your thought?
Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 19, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Who is right and who is wrong?

Postby everything on Fri May 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Probably both. Some "attacks" in self-defense classes are slow motion wrist grabs, punches that stay in the air, etc. that would be unrealistic (not sure of your examples but you seem to say they fall in this category) in a fighting class, but are still possibly helpful for various reasons and a broader set of assumptions and scenarios. In a fighting class, maybe you should assume Stipe Miocic could be your opponent in a cage with refs, doctors, no weapons, etc.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello! I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.

Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Appledog wrote:So my question is what is informing your principle, ...

Assume you want your opponent to train this with you and he refuses.

When you grab on your opponent's wrist with your "tiger mouth - space between thumb and index finger" facing toward your opponent, your opponent can rotate his arm to against your thumb and put his arm "inside" and "on top" of your arm. This will put you in disadvantage.

In the following clip, the guy on the left can rotate his

- right wrist clockwise and put his right hand on his opponent's left elbow joint.
- left wrist counter-clockwise and put his left hand on his opponent's right elbow joint.

In "grip fight", you want to get that "inside" and "on top" dominate position. You can verify this by using your right hand to grab on your own left wrist.

This is a wrong wrist grip.

This is a correct wrist grip.

If you grab on your opponent's wrist with "tiger mouth" facing toward yourself, when your opponent turns his arm to against your thumb, your arm will be "inside" and "on top" of his arm.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Fri May 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Hello! I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.

Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby zrm on Sat May 20, 2017 3:28 am

B is wrong.

1) You will never get a perfect setup but it is useful for beginners to know what it looks like so they can practice the mechanics and learn when to capitalize on an opponents mistake. I prefer to start the perfect setup and then gradually make it harder. Then practice how to force or encourage the opponent to make these mistakes.

2) When sparring it is sometimes good to let beginners put you in compromising positions so you can practice getting out of them. It is easier practicing these things against beginners than it is against advanced people. It also makes it less soul destroying for beginners than getting their ass kicked all the time. When sparring "for reals" against peers or the more advanced you don't want to give away anything. This is the time not to violate principles on purpose.

3) Following this kind of mentality leads to these kinds of conversations further down line:

A: Never cross your leg in front of my opponent when you are in his kicking range.
B: Why?
A: That is what my teacher always told us to do.
zrm
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Sat May 20, 2017 3:54 am

A is fine if this sort of training (with unlikely or easy-to-escape setups) takes a very small portion of the overall training. Nothing wrong, in principle, with opening up your game and exploring possibilities. Just because B "would never do" some move for whatever reasons, however valid they may appear, doesn't mean C, D, etc. won't do that move.
But yes, IMO the vast majority of training should focus on the more realistic and generally less-cooperative, or non-cooperative, scenarios.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sat May 20, 2017 3:57 am

Agree: B is more wrong than right.

A: Please attack me with punches, first slow single punches then multiple punches, and also getting faster, and then do the same with kicks.
B: No. In a real fight I'll draw my gun and shoot you in the head.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat May 20, 2017 4:42 am

Both are wrong. They're supposed to be partners, not opponents. Ime, you tell your partner to really try to punch you in the face, just without the intention to hurt you. That's the only way. When people practice missing, they miss in practice. The person who wants to practice sweeps can ask his partner for the opportunity, or can ask his partner not to give it to him the chance.

I'm not sure you're asking about proper sweeping or grabbing techniques, John.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am

Here is another example. In SC, you won't apply "head lock" if you don't have a fully control on your opponent's leading arm.

Most of the "head lock" counters depend on your leading arm is free. This issue comes from the SC jacket wrestling, or wrestling style that doesn't have "leading arm control" concept. In some wrestling, instead of wrapping on your opponent's leading arm, you just grab on his short sleeve, or use both of your arms to lock on his head. When you do that, your opponent's leading arm is free and can do all kind of counters on you.

Here is the concern:

A: I want you to apply a head lock on me. But I don't want you to control my leading arm so I can still use my leading arm to counter you.
B: But if I don't have your leading arm control, I won't apply my head lock.

My questions is,

- Are those "head lock" counter truly exist?
- Are those head lock counters only work on those who don't understand the nature of head lock?

In other words, you spend your valuable training time to develop some skills. Later on you then find out that you may never have chance to apply it on an experienced wrestler? Are those training time pretty much just wasted?

Your thought?
Last edited by johnwang on Sat May 20, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat May 20, 2017 9:58 am

In other words, you spend your valuable training time to develop some skills. Later on you then find out that you may never have chance to apply it on an experienced wrestler? Are those training time pretty much just wasted?

Naw, It kept you healthy and made it fun to take care of inexperienced wrestlers. Did I say it kept you healthy? Besides, most martial artists will practice martial skills that will only be used in practice. Only a few actually need to use those skills on a regular basis. The rest use them because they choose to fight or compete voluntarily.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 pm

In any area in which you get to learn skills or perhaps compete, you are very lucky if your training partners and opponents are high or even elite level. Obviously (or maybe not), it's very difficult to get that lucky, or to put yourself in position where you are maybe high enough level to get that lucky. Some people don't realize they're at the opposite extreme, clearly. Maybe it's hard to know because you have to experience the gigantic qualitative difference somehow. This is probably one reason D1 wrestling produces some or more of the top mma competitors. Those athletes have climbed many real levels and know they have.
Last edited by everything on Sat May 20, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Finny on Sat May 20, 2017 6:03 pm

johnwang wrote:

If B won't "violate my principle", they are not training - and B never will. If your 'principle' requires you to only act as you would in a fight, then you can by definition never train.. you can only fight.

It is my understanding that in training to fight, we commonly violate fighting 'principles' in order to allow.. well.. training to take place.

Then the amount (if any) of actual fighting done as a component of training helps incorporate trained teachings. Simple.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Sun May 21, 2017 12:07 am

Whoever has the turn training should be able to dictate the condition because it's their turn. You can point out the problem with their assumptions and make a suggestion, but if that's what they want to do, just go along with it since it's 'their turn' anyway. When it's your turn, you can tell your partner to do what you want them to do. That way everyone gets to do what they want to do. I don't agree with the concept that everyone must do the same thing.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon May 22, 2017 3:04 pm

A: I teach you MA for health and not for fighting,
B: I came here to learn fighting from you and not for health.

Who is right and who is wrong? Should both A and B make that clear before the first lesson even start?
Last edited by johnwang on Mon May 22, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan