My Website and Two HD Instructional Videos!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

My Website and Two HD Instructional Videos!

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 am

I've been talking about doing it for a long time, but with my foot injury several months ago I've had the time to actually do it.

http://maartensfs.wix.com/shanzhaiquan

On the website you'll find information about my master and the art. I will update the curriculum section in the next several days and add photos and some information to the China section.

I added two brand new videos to the media section. They are at the bottom and show some of our training methods. I'll be filming new material, covering the core of the curriculum and some applications, within the month. I'll also be trying to get some footage of full-contact sparring before leaving China, with any luck.

I hope that you all enjoy it. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: My Website and Two HD Instructional Videos!

Postby windwalker on Wed May 17, 2017 5:36 am

Nice site, clean lay out... ;)

old school,,,in a new age...like the bike and young adventurer
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 17, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 am

Maarten,

As a native speaker of Chinese, I feel obliged to let you know (if you don't already) that the term "shanzhai," as in your teacher's invention Shanzhaiquan 山寨拳, has strong negative connotations in modern slang usage. When a speaker refers to something as "shanzhai," it means the item is a cheap, pirated, and bastardized version of the original.

My guess is perhaps your teacher was being humble and self-deprecatory when he used the term to describe his hybrid system.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am

C.J.W. wrote:
Maarten,

As a native speaker of Chinese, I feel obliged to let you know (if you don't already) that the term "shanzhai," as in your teacher's invention Shanzhaiquan 山寨拳, has strong negative connotations in modern slang usage. When a speaker refers to something as "shanzhai," it means the item is a cheap, pirated, and bastardized version of the original.

My guess is perhaps your teacher was being humble and self-deprecatory when he used the term to describe his hybrid system.

Hi C.J.W.,

This isalso mentioned in the website itself, under the "curriculum section" (emphasis mine):

"A man of good humour and quiet contemplation, Zou Jianhua chose the name Shanzhaiquan for three reasons. Shanzhai (山寨) has several meanings in Chinese (quan simply being fist). One meaning is a fortified mountain village outside of government supervision. In ancient times these places were where bandits and warlords would meet up and exchange knowledge, just as Shifu travelled around China, challenging many masters and making many friends along the way.

The other main, more modern meaning is that of a knock-off product, as Shanzhaiquan isn't any of the many styles it borrows from, but is effective nonetheless - just as knock-offs are made quickly and cheaply, but serve their purpose. The final meaning of Shanzhaiquan is a play on words. Here he uses the character 三, or three, (pronounced "san") instead of 山 to pay tribute to the three primary "camps" or masters that he learned from."

Maarten, this is a great site. Beautiful pictures, easy to navigate, with good content.

You probably already know this, but the "Blog" link on the toolbar at the top of the page is a generic template for a blog, with no content.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed May 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Yes, that's true about Shanzhai.. My master is fucking hilarious. He said "我们打真正的山寨拳。" =P Everything is a joke to him - except arse-kicking. I plan to go back to visit him in about two months to learn his sword/stick-fighting system.

I'm glad that you guys like the site. I spent a lot of time thinking this through, but was waiting until I felt my Gongfu was good enough and I had enough content to put myself out there. Since my other main passion is adventuring and photography there are a lot more photos to come. I plan to add them to the China section, divided into parts by landscapes, nature, culture, people etc.

What did you guys think about the videos? Those took me like a solid week to finish and upload (super slow in China and VPN keeps disconnecting). I want to keep this format going for as long as I'm in China, with footage of the country mixed in. I have enough material for two more videos, adventure-wise. Hope to get some more this summer.

Yes, the blog I haven't touched. That will come last. I'll write articles on there, probably after I return to the States.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Looks really great. Photos are awesome. Your sparring section looked good and fun.

P.S. are you Dutch or a fan of Dutch football?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks, mate. Actually, the sparring was quite average.. That was before I really shifted into totally fighting with traditional techniques and strategies. It was an awkward in-between stage. Still, it shows the intensity we put into no/light contact sparring and there are some traditional techniques to be seen. And it was fun!

I need to make a proper sparring video to really showcase TCMA in a full-contact setting.. Just need good opponents that are willing to cooperate to get some good footage.. Easier said than done... At least my sparring is improving all the time, so eventually I'll get something.. =P

I am Dutch. Prefer kicking people over balls, though..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Seems like such a fun adventure.

Dutch football is a cultural thing people admire the way some people are interested in CMA imho. It's interesting to see the resurgence of Ajax. Hope those young guys win. But kicking people does look like fun, lol.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Thu May 18, 2017 2:17 am

I like the training with the rope. Cool stuff.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 am

It has been a fun adventure - most of the time... I honestly don't know much about Dutch football. I just like the sweater because of how it looks and because people can see where I'm from.. =P
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 am

Patrick wrote:I like the training with the rope. Cool stuff.

Glad you liked it. I replaced my pole shaking with this as soon as I learned it. It's not identical by any means, but it develops (along with some other methods like tree-pushing), a similar type of shocking power and is a hell of a lot more convenient to carry around.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Had to take them down. Forgot to add my wife to the credits! :-[

Will put them back up ASAP.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sat May 20, 2017 4:14 am

Great job!
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun May 21, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks, mate!

The videos are back up. Also improved some minor details and fixed a problem with the audio of the second video while I was at it!
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Fatal Rose on Sun May 21, 2017 6:51 am

Great stuff! Love the site! I like how your mastered developed a style and you're further systemizing it.
Talking Fists Podcast
Fatal Rose
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan