My Possible Badge System

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: My Possible Badge System

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:59 am

Honestly I'm not sure yet. I'm quite worried that most people won't be willing to train anywhere near hard enough to get good (and keep paying me)..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:35 am

To make a living running a gongfu school is probably not the easiest thing. But it could work if one as a teacher have a great competition record, taolu or sanda doesn't matter just it shows one has been a champ. 2: Have a or several 'complete' system/styles to teach - people like the feeling of learning something that seem to be a complete method. If have any these 'qualifications' introduction of a badge or belt system might work well. Just me thinking.
Trick

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:30 am

If you're going to have any kind of ranking system then belts/sashes and certificates are undoubtedly the universal system that everyone recognises. Nothing else will work as well. The success of your school will depend on your personal skill in your art, your character, enthusiasm and coaching skill along with a good surrounding structure that is acceptable to the community that you function in. A lot will also depend on your ability to communicate what you do through social media or you will get lost amongst the more professional schools.

Martial arts schools are competitive everywhere, it's not easy to survive but the competitive edge does keep you on your toes and make you consider what you're doing, what you want to achieve and will hopefully help you to find your 'niche' market.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:49 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Because there are many aspects that one can pursue and excel in and I'd like to recognise that, whilst also striking down delusion. I will try to cooperate with different schools or at least different branches like back here in China and do a lot of sparring. Advancement is based on my long-term observation of a student, not just their performance on one day.

If a student doesn't have any badges for fighting prowess, everyone will see that.

Does your teacher here in China award badges, belts or similar ? If no, why would you want to have such systems? In the parks I have practiced in here in China in never have seen gong fu practitioners wear belts or badges, the ones I see wearing such things are the kids going to and from the local taekwondo school. I think JW idea to let students join tournaments is a good idea, eventually the students will be kind of ranked through that medium
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 am

I've given this a lot of thought and I think you're all missing a trick. There is already an internationally recognised, easily accessible and instantly comprehensible ranking system already in place, which can be easily translated into badges or belts.

Of course, I'm talking about the classic 1980s home computer game Elite.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

Players start the game as Harmless. Move on to Mostly Harmless, then poor, average, above average, competent, dangerous, deadly then Elite.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Elite_Rating

Badges and graphics have already been designed.

You know it makes sense.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:50 am

GrahamB wrote:I've given this a lot of thought and I think you're all missing a trick. There is already an internationally recognised, easily accessible and instantly comprehensible ranking system already in place, which can be easily translated into badges or belts.

Of course, I'm talking about the classic 1980s home computer game Elite.

I'm even more old school than that, I suggest Experience Points like in Dungeons and Dragons. Complete a form, get 50 experience points. After a set amount you go from Level One to Level Two fighter. Then you can practice stealth too and get Levels in being a thief. I won't even mention halflings ;D
Last edited by RobP3 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:45 pm

WTF.. Nevermind... No badges..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:25 pm

对阿 练武的人 那来的虚名 :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:WTF.. Nevermind... No badges..

Lapel pins ? 8-)
Trick

Postby Appledog on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:49 am

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:21 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:23 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 am

FWIW I really like the idea. You've got to have a USP (or many) if you want to be a commercial success. The belt system is tired but people like collecting stuff.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby RobP3 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:49 am

northern_mantis wrote:FWIW I really like the idea. You've got to have a USP (or many) if you want to be a commercial success. The belt system is tired but people like collecting stuff.

I find teaching good stuff in an accessible way is a good USP. To be honest, my lot would just laugh if I offered them a badge for "Falls and Rolls" or "Taking Strikes". Kids, maybe there's a case for it, like they do in the cubs and scouts. But adults....really?
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan