Jon Jones elbow

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Jon Jones elbow

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Ok ok Jones is not a tai chi guy (but imagine if he were), but he is clearly a master of "elbow":

an interesting tidbit is this looks like fist under the elbow (where the left fist at the end of the move is almost under the right elbow, and both are irrelevant to the application but it's an apt description).

There are dozens more. maybe this one should be your "finish him" (said Mortal Kombat style) move from taijiquan? will jw be happy then?

another interesting tidbit. this shoulder crank has a similar starting move to the "fist under elbow" above. it's the arc motion of the arm. never would've thought of this app but I was told this motion is for a headgrab, then elbow. instead shoulder crank (if he did a strike with his right arm or upward right elbow, it would look more classic form-like):
Last edited by everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Jon Jones elbow

Postby everything on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:31 pm

I'll bring this thread back from the dead out of boredom, I guess.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:00 am

We can find 'techniques' from any martial art in MMA bouts, there are videos from Karate doing the same thing. But the reality is that the 'techniques' are pretty much the least important point.

It is the way Jones trains so that he can spontaneously and freely deploy a massive array of methods as and when the gap arises that matters.

The individual techniques fall right down the list, in fact i would say that there are a large number of techniques that we see in MMA that are completely spontaneous and 'untrained'. They are simply the right way to use the body for the gap that the fighter sees.

Even Ueshiba talked of this 'The Spontaneous Execution of limitless techniques' ... so it is not a new idea.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:07 am

I think at this time he was making heavy use of elbows. I don't think he was doing a lot of spontaneous (that he didn't train a lot) techniques, but I'm still super impressed by his very large repertoire of moves and his spontaneous-feeling freedom of movement vs. it feels like most everyone else is like "oh ok i'm in boxing mode, oh now i'm doing wrestling, oh now i do some jiu jitsu" in a less dynamic way. Too bad he got in repeated trouble, keeping him away from competing. I was really expecting this guy to be the next Anderson Silva for a long time. Edit: I guess he is still LHW champ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gen ... 05161.html
Last edited by everything on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby Trip on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:12 pm

everything wrote:Ok ok Jones is not a tai chi guy (but imagine if he were), but he is clearly a master of "elbow":

He doesn't look like he needs any help but
He'd be very good at Taiji, indeed! :)

In fact in Yang Style Taiji, one of the primary intentions of Wardoff & Rollback in Yang's Grasp Sparrows Tail is a hypertension of the elbow joint.
The Yang Wardoff is very similar to what he does above.

In BJJ they do armbars on the ground.
In Yang Grasp Sparrows Tail you break/control the limb while standing.
Last edited by Trip on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Trip
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:48 pm

imagine back in the day when you are an aging tai chi or bagua master and you are deciding what star student to really teach all your stuff to. you wish a guy like jones who seems to master every art/sport he did (also national junior college wrestling champ, played american football with two brothers in the NFL) comes around. it's too bad about his troubles. widely quoted as studying bruce lee's ideas and trying to do them. .e.g., nice side kicks in his last title defense:

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/3/4/18250 ... motion-mma
everything
Wuji

Postby Trip on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:56 pm

^^^Agreed! + 1
Trip
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan