Tai Chi mechanics — Mark Rasmus

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi mechanics — Mark Rasmus

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Published on Jul 6, 2017
Internal strength training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh9o7ERj8vM

Published on Jul 9, 2017
Internal strength training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFpX_BC_fV4
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi mechanics — Mark Rasmus

Postby Rhen on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 pm

OH FFS "Fascia web"
Rhen

Postby dspyrido on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Rhen wrote:OH FFS "Fascia web"

Thats progress for you. Now you dont need a chi model when you have a ffs fascia web. I think adding the word "matrix" in there will also make it more powerful. The ffs matrix fascia web.... :P
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Someone explain to me why when talking about mechanics TC people cant just say knees or glutes or core? Whats wrong with using terms like leverage and angles that everyone can get? Yes there is a sensitivity component where angles and different parts of the body get engaged based on reacting to variances from what the pusher is doing but it's not magic. It's normal down to earth physics and human physiology.

As for what he should shows - it's a nice excercise and good video for people starting out. Internal power? No. It's an example of this:

dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:36 pm

dspyrido wrote:Someone explain to me why when talking about mechanics TC people cant just say knees or glutes or core? Whats wrong with using terms like leverage and angles that everyone can get? Yes there is a sensitivity component where angles and different parts of the body get engaged based on reacting to variances from what the pusher is doing but it's not magic. It's normal down to earth physics and human physiology.

Agreed. I always wonder why people have such a hard time to explain these things in a simple and commonsensical way using descriptions of leverage and angles. Maybe because on some level they don't really understand what they are doing? Or maybe they just want to show off and don't want to teach? Or maybe a little bit of both? :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 pm

If we banned these words it would be a lot clearer
Facia
Core
Fa Jing
Kua
Chi
Six direction
Five bows
Master
Anyone think of any more
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:27 am

wayne hansen wrote:If we banned these words it would be a lot clearer
Facia
Core
Fa Jing
Kua
Chi
Six direction
Five bows
Master
Anyone think of any more

Taijiquan.......the name could be seen as to bombastic and cause a lot of discussion containing many troublesome terminology that lead to nowhere but disagreements......and becomes a room for scholars. 8-)
Trick

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:44 am

Trick wrote:Taijiquan.......the name could be seen as to bombastic and cause a lot of discussion containing many troublesome terminology that lead to nowhere but disagreements......and becomes a room for scholars. 8-)

The thing is that all of these terms people belive are so fancy are words or characters that chinese people think is the least fancy. Some of it are old chinese ways to use language, some other of it is everyday chinese language. "Ying yang" just means balance, klike food with yin yang is nourishing. "Qi" is a character in many chinese everyday words, like weather, angry etc. Chinese people normally just use their everyday language to describe what Tai Chi is and how it functions, and so should we.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:53 pm

I agree that's what I meant by these terms should be banned
They are used to give gravitas where it is not warented
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:03 pm

As someone who has actually trained with Mark, his terminology is consistent with his system and needed to understand how to employ the system.

By combining a fair amount of meditative technology with Chinese martial arts he has a way to teach fah jing to a complete novice in as little as three days.

If anyone else on this board can do that, then I'll support whatever language you use to provide your instruction.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Peacedog wrote:As someone who has actually trained with Mark, his terminology is consistent with his system and needed to understand how to employ the system.

No terminology is needed to perform what you only can do with body movement.

He does the same things that many others do but describe differently. Any description that helps you how to do something practically works fine.

By combining a fair amount of meditative technology with Chinese martial arts he has a way to teach fah jing to a complete novice in as little as three days.

If anyone else on this board can do that, then I'll support whatever language you use to provide your instruction.

I have no idea what your definition of fajin is, but I know no fajin that is dependent on meditation. I can teach most of people fajin mechanics that work in a few hours and probably less. There's nothing mystical or even hard to do it. It's just technique. To becoe good at and make it come naturally might take some practice though.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Peacedog wrote:By combining a fair amount of meditative technology with Chinese martial arts he has a way to teach fah jing to a complete novice in as little as three days.

I can teach fajing excercises to a novice in 30 seconds without any mention of meditative chi backed fascia. That's because I was taught it as a basic set of excercises to teach issuing power that evolves with time & practise. 3 days worth of it is not the same as 3 months or 3 years worth of the practise.

Do you see this is the problem we are highlighting? Language like this has been interpreted in many ways and only confuses the learning path. What mark & you might call fajing might be a different set of exercises to what I've learnt from my instructors.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:32 am

Using the term 'Fascia' is only a problem when it is being used to replace a traditional model ... in a tradition.

I am writing an article on this subject at the moment. When you are in an echo chamber like the chinese internal arts, its hard to realise that those outside of them have literally NO clue what you are talking about when you say words like Kwa, Jing, Yi, Li, Chi, etc, and they (quite rightly) need something else to help their understanding.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:09 am

When somebody says they are connecting to my "Qi" I have no idea what they mean. Equally, when they say they are "connecting to my fascia web" I also have no idea what they mean.

I know what hips, legs and elbows are though.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:09 am

When somebody says they are connecting to my "Qi" I have no idea what they mean. Equally, when they say they are "connecting to my fascia web" I also have no idea what they mean.

I know what hips, legs and elbows are though.

Totally agree. I am not justifying the way he is describing things. Simply highlighting where the allergy to that word starts to make less sense.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links