Facebook Shut Down AI After It Invented Its Own Language

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Facebook Shut Down AI After It Invented Its Own Language

Postby everything on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:11 pm

That line about overlords is a worn out joke.

I'm not sure what the main fear is.

My Roomba could be slightly smarter.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby amor on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Dmitri wrote:
Steve James wrote:Sure, but it's like AI chess computers. No human can beat them, but --as Magnus Carlsen says-- "so what?" For me, it all depends on what an AI is given the ability and responsibility to do; i.e., what it's connected to.

This.

whether AI robotics can really outdo their creators in efficiency whether that be deployed in war-zones to kill 'the enemy' or taking care of old folks in care homes remains to be seen. In the case of the former it looks like they might succeed if you've ever come across those robotic animals, yes I'd imagine they would be far better at the job. Not sure about the care home side of things when it comes to AI I'm just using these as extreme examples of impacts on human life. To take care of old folks the amount of neural based learning processing would have to be extensive, just like in the chess examples where computer beat human and the brute force processing power required which isn't really a problem anymore.
But can AI actually diverge from what it's programmed to do by the human programmer, probably not and I doubt this. But it would still be interesting to see what an AI does if you program it with the mission to 'destroy the human race', give it access to nuke launch pads, access to global grid, electricty, water, energy supplies etc. and see what it does and what would it do after, in a hypothetical situation, perhaps it can be simulated.
Last edited by amor on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amor
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I think a distinction between AI and simple computers needs to be made. The "Siri" on your iPhone is AI. Like Alexa and Echo, it is merely an interface between the user and a computer. Right now, Siri is on millions of phones. Imo, no one should worry that they will talk to each other, and use their connections to the internet to take control our lives. It's much more likely that a human will exploit Siri than the other way around.

Of course, an AI could be designed with a mission (like a calculator) to find out the most efficient way to distribute food or save mankind. If that computer had the ability to execute those commands, it would be concerning. Actually, the Facebook AI example illustrates that humans would never give certain authorities to an artificial intelligence.

I've suggested that the reason for the fear of AI is that humans project their idea of intelligence onto machines. If they're like us, they'll want to take over or, at least, to ensure their survival. Freud called this particular type of fear the "unheimlisch" (loosely, the uncanny). His point was simple. Humans fear similarity more than difference. I.e., the reason that one group of humans will consider themselves superior is because they recognize their similarity. For ex., the "other" is always the greedy, violent, irrational one. It's not because they're different. It's because they want the same things.

Read Beowulf. The monster Grendel is a monster because he values the same thing as the Vikings (I know, not really; but close enough). He comes into their house, drinks their ale, kills some, takes some of their arms, and takes their gold. Then he comes back. If he were a Viking, he'd be The Hero. You know, the modern distinction between freedom fighter and terrorist. I doubt we'd ever give a computer the ability to judge mankind, or a country/people, and then act on it. I'm sure we'll come up with AI programmed to find the best way to eliminate the other. Skynet won't be built to protect mankind. It'll be built to punish someone or (as is already the case) to attack some other computer system.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:52 pm

/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:58 pm

An AI takeover will be like a zombie apocalypse. I.e., a la "The Walking Dead", the most danger will come from the humans.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 am

everything wrote:http://mashable.com/2017/08/06/silicon-valley-automation-apocalypse-jamie-bartlett/#xl1OVuzXaZOW

Tech millionaires build compounds

"a normy" :D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:08 am

"normy" is kind of a good expression. I'll have to borrow it when we talk about IMA.

I believe these people who build compounds and backup plans are called "preppers".
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic