1st Kung Fu competition in Shaolin Temple of Mount Song 2017

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

1st Kung Fu competition in Shaolin Temple of Mount Song 2017

Postby marvin8 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:51 am

Streamed live on Jul 31, 2017
Live & Exclusive: Flying Knife! Iron Palm! First ever Kung Fu competition in Shaolin Temple! You will see some of the most mysterious Kung Fu stunts. Watch it on Xinhua:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXdnWiExDw
marvin8
Wuji

Re: 1st Kung Fu competition in Shaolin Temple of Mount Song 2017

Postby Fubo on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

When I read the title "kung Fu", "Shaolin" and "competition", I was hoping to see some cool ass kicking... but I suppose carnival tricks are cool too.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:40 pm

I think they missed the most important piece of competition ever created - leitai.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Fubo wrote:When I read the title "kung Fu", "Shaolin" and "competition", I was hoping to see some cool ass kicking.

Only happens in HK movies
Trick

Postby Fubo on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 am

Trick wrote:
Fubo wrote:When I read the title "kung Fu", "Shaolin" and "competition", I was hoping to see some cool ass kicking.

Only happens in HK movies

Apparently that is the case.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 am

dspyrido wrote:I think they missed the most important piece of competition ever created - leitai.

I agree. They left out the useful "martial" part. Since it's the first one, maybe people can petition to add it into future competitions. At least, it was streamed for free. :)
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:50 am

marvin8 wrote:
dspyrido wrote:I think they missed the most important piece of competition ever created - leitai.

I agree. They left out the useful "martial" part. Since it's the first one, maybe people can petition to add it into future competitions. At least, it was streamed for free. :)

The competition might have been based on who can replicate different skill sets said to be practiced at the temple, rather then
who was or is the best at using them in a combative sense. Similar to the push hands competition that taiji seems to use to show case skill sets that may or not transfer to direct usage or even the way stylistically how the style might have been used at one time.

If its geared towards the gen public, the fear might be that it will tend to follow the trend of what happens to most styles when
public competition is used in a context geared for the public.

Judo, Taiji, good examples of this process IMO

Having said this, the opposite occurs when things are divorced from practical usage as intended..
They start to become charictures of themselves judged on different sets of criteria unrelated to practical usage.

In this sense I feel the European models are best,
showing skill sets in use in a certain time period in real time while still preserving the old ways.

This has been something that CMA has yet to deal with, it might be the difference in the way the styles are perceived with many
CMA styles still used and considered as real weapons understanding the value of keeping things within the communities that use them as such.
Most "real" fighting styles do not have public competitions "pentjak silat" comes to mind.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 am

there's loads of silat competition clips on youtube.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 am

cloudz wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNchmqsfF5Y

ha +1 ;)

power of the net.

picked the style did not really look into it thanks. :-\

Not being familiar with it I leave to those who are
as to how much it reflects usage of the style.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 am

Usage reflects the people and their training. The system they train.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:16 am

These are cultural sports that remind me of the Highland Games every year.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 am

windwalker wrote:
marvin8 wrote:

Most "real" fighting styles do not have public competitions "pentjak silat" comes to mind.

Many fighting styles (e.g., pencak silat, CMA, IMA, TKD, etc.) have participated in public competitions, such as leitai.

I would believe it's the opposite. "Most 'real' fighting styles" have/had "public competitions."
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:16 pm

I think the chinese have a great opportunity to bring back traditional leitai. Why go with a cage and make it look like a copycat ufc when they could bring something new that is in reality very old? They can tap into its rich history and it would greatly recover the name of cma in the west. The rules could be very open mma based. Without a cage the approach and strategies would be different to mma comps. They would be very fast paced matches and actually less dangerous because many ground and pound situations occur on the fence. No need for rounds just throw the opponent out.

It would also sharpen up cma to be less choregraphy and stunts and more about using it.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Done ;)

Water lei tai[edit]
The city of Taizhou, Zhejiang hosted the first "On Water Contest of the 'Liqun Cup' International Traditional Wushu and Unique Feats Tournament" from May 22–26, 1999. It was here that 24 countries and 28 Chinese national teams, over a thousand competitors in all, gathered to test their skills against each other.
The water lei tai was held on the afternoon of the second day of competition (May 23). There were five divisions and it was the most attended event of the tournament. The event was made more difficult when it rained just prior to the matches, making the fighting surface very slippery. Also fighters were restricted to minimal safety equipment, only gloves and shorts.

The defeated, who fell or was forced off the stage, landed in water. To improve safety, the lei tai was a meter shorter than a standard one, which lessened the impact and allowed assistants to quickly jump in the pool to rescue any fighter who might have been unconscious. No serious injuries were recorded during this event.[5]

There have been more water lei tai's held since this event. In March 2004, the 9th International Chinese Kuoshu Federation (ICKF) World Championship hosted the 3rd water lei tai. The tournament venue was Aquatic Training Centre, Tainan Canal, Tainan, Taiwan. This was the first International event hosted by the ICKF to be held entirely on water.[36]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_tai#Water_lei_tai
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Strategy[edit]
Kung Fu Magazine states the lei tai’s railless architecture does not allow a fighter to trap an opponent in the turnbuckle, so the fighting strategy shifts away from power boxing to more evasive "circling" maneuvers. Nor can a fighter just rush their adversary. A quick redirection will send a charging opponent off the stage. And falling off can hurt, so fighters must deal with an added psychological factor when they approach the edge. Like Japanese Sumo, a fighter must stand their ground. Falling out-of-bounds constitutes a loss.[5]

Sparring benefits[edit]
According to the Swiss Open Kusohu Tournament, lei tai permits the kung fu student to show their understanding of the techniques, moves, rooting, breathing and control of character (i.e. anger). Kung Fu together with lei tai trains the instincts and timing. It cultivates concentration and relaxation at the same time. It teaches practical combat applications of the disconnected moves learned from sets or Taolu ("Forms"). With lei tai a student receives personal feedback on their strengths and weaknesses.[11]
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links