1st Kung Fu competition in Shaolin Temple of Mount Song 2017

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: 1st Kung Fu competition in Shaolin Temple of Mount Song 2017

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 pm

the practice was banned following the Republic of China because too many people were dying. But atop a Lei Tai, when a fighter was confronted with a more powerful opponent, he or she could always escape severe injury by jumping off the stage. You may lose face, but you won't lose your life. Despite this "out," the Lei Tai still claimed the lives of many fighters.

Today, the Lei Tai presents a one-of-a-kind arena, different than the more typical ring or cage match. Its architecture does not allow you to trap an opponent in the turnbuckle, so your fighting strategy shifts away from power boxing to more evasive maneuvers. Nor can you just charge someone, like the old "bum rush." A quick redirection will send you flying off the stage. And falling off can hurt, so fighters must deal with an added psychological factor when they approach the edge. Like Japanese Sumo, you have to stand your ground. Falling out-of-bounds constitutes a loss.Image

The Water Lei Tai was held on the afternoon of May 23rd. There were five divisions and it was the most attended event of the tournament. To add to the fighter's burden, it rained just before the fights, so the Lei Tai was extra slippery. Image

Also fighters were restricted to minimal safety equipment, only gloves and shorts. This made the event bloody. The element of water added fire to the fights. The competitors rose to the occasion, delivering lots of high-impact action.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/info/tour ... rticle=338

Thoughts on the new format ?

Does it address issues of not having or bringing back the lei tai?
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Today, the Lei Tai presents a one-of-a-kind arena, different than the more typical ring or cage match. Its architecture does not allow you to trap an opponent in the turnbuckle, so your fighting strategy shifts away from power boxing to more evasive maneuvers.

Nor can you just charge someone, like the old "bum rush." A quick redirection will send you flying off the stage. And falling off can hurt, so fighters must deal with an added psychological factor when they approach the edge. Like Japanese Sumo, you have to stand your ground. Falling out-of-bounds constitutes a loss.

What I note is the thought that went into the lei tai and issues they felt needed to be addressed.
Trying to promote a format that tends to show case the fighters style vs fighter ability.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 pm

The water makes it look like a japanese game show. It's unnecessary, makes it more difficult to organise around and also detracts from what is a unique historical format.

Gloves remove the ability to apply real throws. It would also be just the excuse many push hands masters would be looking for so as not to compete. That and the old "this is a sport - what I do is too deadly". Gloves are unnecessary but at a minimum 4oz gloves will protect the knuckles (not the target) yet still provide some sensitivity, allow throws and chinna.

The space should be as big as a boxing ring or even bigger to provide the opportunity to move around. This would bring a lot of focus on movement & less on rushing. It would produce great bullfighting like timing to it.

As for Republic of China banning leitai due to deaths - I've heard some bullshit in my time but this is a truck load. The same government that executed millions of people when it stepped into power and then was responsible for the great leap which killed many millions more is worried about consenting martial artists dying as a result of a contest? Give me a break. Beside leitai was stopped once the Japanese invaded. It just was never brought back.

Also to note the UFC has been running for almost 25 years & has had hundreds of events which amount to thousands of fights. Not one death due to some simple considerations:

1. Weight categories
2. Don't let any idiot step into a professional cage without a proven track record
3. Doctors must give a clean bill of health before they allow a fighter to step up
4. The number of fights and the gap between fights is carefully controlled

There have been a few deaths in mma but they tend to be due to poorly managed fights (most were unsanctioned and not-regulated).
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 am

dspyrido wrote:The water makes it look like a japanese game show. It's unnecessary, makes it more difficult to organise around and also detracts from what is a unique historical format.

Gloves remove the ability to apply real throws. It would also be just the excuse many push hands masters would be looking for so as not to compete. That and the old "this is a sport - what I do is too deadly". Gloves are unnecessary but at a minimum 4oz gloves will protect the knuckles (not the target) yet still provide some sensitivity, allow throws and chinna.

The space should be as big as a boxing ring or even bigger to provide the opportunity to move around. This would bring a lot of focus on movement & less on rushing. It would produce great bullfighting like timing to it.

As for Republic of China banning leitai due to deaths - I've heard some bullshit in my time but this is a truck load. The same government that executed millions of people when it stepped into power and then was responsible for the great leap which killed many millions more is worried about consenting martial artists dying as a result of a contest? Give me a break. Beside leitai was stopped once the Japanese invaded. It just was never brought back.

Also to note the UFC has been running for almost 25 years & has had hundreds of events which amount to thousands of fights. Not one death due to some simple considerations:

1. Weight categories
2. Don't let any idiot step into a professional cage without a proven track record
3. Doctors must give a clean bill of health before they allow a fighter to step up
4. The number of fights and the gap between fights is carefully controlled

There have been a few deaths in mma but they tend to be due to poorly managed fights (most were unsanctioned and not-regulated).

you don't care for the format?

I would wager they do have weight and entry requirements for different divisions ect.
As to the gloves, should be no problem for anyone who competes regardless of style
understanding the rule sets.

As time goes on, and rankings occur and develop some of the things mentioned
will self correct. Seems like a good start in bringing an old tradition into the modern age.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links