New style of Tai Chi

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: New style of Tai Chi

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 am

Appledog wrote:
In the end however....

This is panning out to be more of a kind of "assistance qigong" or merely a teaching method (order of introduction of progression exercises) and not an entirely new style of Tai Chi. Actually I am not really interested in creating an entirely new style of Tai Chi if I don't have to. There is already too much cool stuff going on in the main styles. Ultimately I am not even going to need to invent any of the special exercises, just collect them together in one place. I think ultimately what I am really trying to do is just find a way to help people get in the door of whatever they are doing in tai chi, to help them complete their goals, whatever they might be, and if not (if they fail) then it would not for a lack of proper instruction.

;D
Trick

Postby yeniseri on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:37 am

All taijiquan has elements of jibengong/yangshengong within heir training but in many environments, FORM is seen as the ultimate objective template for skill.
Even the simplest individual posture(s) within themselves, have this yangsheng principle that should be part and parcel of a training regimen.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm

yeniseri wrote:FORM is seen as the ultimate objective template for skill.

This is IMO exactly what is wrong with the common perception of Tai Chi Chuan. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Maybe McGregor and Mayweather, Jr. should have a form competition
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:06 pm

everything wrote:Maybe McGregor and Mayweather, Jr. should have a form competition

Could be an spectacular spectacle
Trick

Postby Niall Keane on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 am

Trick wrote:
everything wrote:Maybe McGregor and Mayweather, Jr. should have a form competition

Or a situation just about powerful enough to smash the spectacle that has taken hold in the world of Tai Chi Chuan? A big mirror to bump into.
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby amor on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:00 am

Niall Keane wrote:
Trick wrote:

Or a situation just about powerful enough to smash the spectacle that has taken hold in the world of Tai Chi Chuan? A big mirror to bump into.

I think the only spectacle is somebody claiming they can invent a new style of taichi and despite your writings there are teachers even famous ones who still possess true taichi skills such as the Chens, CSW, Yu, Bing et al just to name a few.

As to the thread op no point re-inventing the wheel as its not possible but perhaps you can do a better job at teaching this very complex subject of taichi. It's as much academic as it is physical. So consider this for your book, its all about connection. Once you get one part another wants to irresistibly follow until you have a whole cascade of connections. Perhaps this is what the 9 pearls is all aboard. Maybe you can pick a form a and detail the exact connection through each turning and twisting of a limb, body, head, eye ...etc. Now that would something to aspire to if you really are want to make your mark
Last edited by amor on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
amor
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 am

To try to be on topic slightly, I kind of hate popularizers of ideas like Malcolm Gladwell and Amy Cuddy (your posture makes you feel more powerful. Really? WTF? So fucking stupid!!!), but clearly that is much more marketable to the general public. Trying to convince anyone on RSF about tai chi this or that will never work. But packaging up tai chi in a more palatable way may work. I mean look at those stupid David Carradine videos (see what I mean about impressing RSF)? RSF cannot be convinced anyone on earth today is really qualified to start a new style, but a "new style" could be good for some normal people, perhaps, the way a "new style" of yoga is probably helpful, e.g., "yoga for runners" is very popular because runners tend to have the same issues/dysfunctions. Even the most jaded RSF people might accept that "tai chi for runners", "chi running" (already "invented" and maybe that guy made a lot of money and did some good for the world) etc. etc. may make some sense.

"tai chi for desk workers" (TM)
"tai chi for overweight" (TM)
"tai chi for burned out yogis" (TM)
"tai chi for yoga moms" (TM)
"tai chi for weekend warriors" (TM)
"tai chi for weight loss" (TM)
"tai chi for start-up workers" (TM)
"tai chi for millenials" (TM)
"tai chi for expecting mothers" (TM)
all kinda sounds like a good scheme program
Last edited by everything on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby amor on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:55 am

everything wrote: Even the most jaded RSF people might accept that "tai chi for runners", "chi running" (already "invented" and maybe that guy made a lot of money and did some good for the world) etc. etc. may make some sense.

relax dude, Im just giving the guy a pointer so as not to waste their time as its all too easy to do so in this kind of endevor
amor
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:26 pm

amor wrote:
everything wrote: Even the most jaded RSF people might accept that "tai chi for runners", "chi running" (already "invented" and maybe that guy made a lot of money and did some good for the world) etc. etc. may make some sense.

relax dude, Im just giving the guy a pointer so as not to waste their time as its all too easy to do so in this kind of endevor

huh? I'm not trying to say anything to you, specifically. Just commenting in general.

When I say "jaded RSF people" that refers mostly to me, and also to a bunch of you in the collective, but definitely not anyone here in particular. Who is more jaded than I am about all this? I'm not sure. I actually love tai chi, as I suspect 80% of us here do. It's just the same old, same old errors (which none of us agree about) that gets so old.
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan