Sword style Bagua

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Sword style Bagua

Postby .Q. on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 am

Anyone knows anything about this "sword style" Bagua? It looks quite interesting and almost the opposite of standard Bagua. The claim is that the common style of Bagua is consider the saber style and this is the complementary style.
The lineage story could be total BS but the guy clearly has interesting skills.

.Q.
Wuji

Re: Sword style Bagua

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:58 am

Looks a bit wonky - the floating way that he walks around is interesting. Maybe it is authentic, or maybe it was created to try to be the opposite of "normal" bagua...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm pretty wary of people making BS claims but I consider the mechanics useful and complementary, so regardless of lineage I'd be interested in the system. Too bad he seems pretty traditional and is only looking for full on disciples. Would definitely be cool to attend a seminar.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby zrm on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 am

Wudang Sword style as derived by Song Wei Yi is considered "Sword Style Bagua" because it supposedly shares it roots from the same Taoist sect. Song Wei also taught a form of Baguazhang and is often included in the Bagua lineage tree. I believe it was Song who described it was the sister art to Baguazhang.

Compare Li Tian Ji doing the Song Wei's Wudang Sword set.
Last edited by zrm on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
zrm
Huajing

Postby .Q. on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Tom wrote:Song Wei Yi's baguazhang is taught at the Wudangdanpai school in Seattle http://www.wudangdanpai.com. Their website says:

. . . Wudang Baguazhang system. This system was passed down by great master Song, Wei-Yi, also a great master of Wudang Sword. Because of this, Wudang Baguazhang has a strong influence of Wudang Sword in its movements. The style was then passed to Grandmaster Li, Jing-Lin and later to Grandmaster Yang, Kui-Shan. The system was passed down to Master Chang, Wu Na and Dr. Lu, Mei-hui by their master, Grandmaster Qian, Timing. Though there are less forms than in Beijing Bagua (from Gao Ji-wu), Wudang Bagua’s forms are more complicated and pay a greater emphasis on softness.

That's interesting. Didn't realize that when I visited them.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby zrm on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 pm

There's an Interesting circle walking and push hands like exercise performed with sword at 1.55 in this wudang sword vid.

zrm
Huajing

Return to Video Links