Limitations, adaptations, and the percentage shot

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Limitations, adaptations, and the percentage shot

Postby klonk on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 pm

When I was twenty years old I had a decent percentage on Western fencing's ring drill. You hang a woman's ring from two pieces of string, so that it does not rotate, and then you thrust your epee through the hole. If the ring does not move, you win.

I am now past sixty. I can see the damned ring if I look through the right part of my bifocals.

Adaptation: If you have a saber you can cut the strings midair. You don't have to see them.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Limitations, adaptations, and the percentage shot

Postby HotSoup on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:25 am

In a broad sense, it's more of a practical way to solve the same problem than the adaptation ;)

Adaptation would be to do that very same drill without a need to see much. Like, having long-time trained neuron chains in your brain allows for minimizing the amount of visual input required for measuring the distance, evaluating external factors (like wind), triggering the movement in ligaments and muscles, and using just enough force and energy to score a hit.
HotSoup
Anjing

Re: Limitations, adaptations, and the percentage shot

Postby everything on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:13 pm

it sucks getting older, but hey, sounds like you are a lot wiser now! ;D :P
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan