Why doesn't Taiji have "roundhouse kick"?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Why doesn't Taiji have "roundhouse kick"?

Postby johnwang on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Taiji has outside crescent as "lotus kick". Why doesn't Taiji have "inside crescent kick"? If Taiji has "inside crescent kick", should Taiji also have "roundhouse kick"?

Your thought?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Why doesn't Taiji have "roundhouse kick"?

Postby Appledog on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:37 pm

It doesn't?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Every single leg stance or every empty leg, every insubstantial leg, whatever the jargon, is any shape kick you want, for the given situation.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 am

It's there if you put it there, inflexible, fixed curriculum is a dead curriculum. Analogues to TJQ, stiff/rigid = dead, in more ways than one. These things need to be constantly challenged and evolved, otherwise you may as well collect antiques.
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:05 am

The form is not an antique
It is a living breathing entity complete and realised
Nothing should be taken away and nothing needs to be added
If you can't see it look deeper
It is the practicioner who lacks not the method
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:15 am

If that was the case, you won't have any problems naming a TJQ fighter who trains solely traditional methods, as in no cross training, and can fight, compete and win.

Also I didn't mention anything about form, that's all you. I'm talking about adding things you find useful for combat to your curriculum (along with nei/chi gung, stance work, strength and conditioning, etc.), but I'm guessing you're more of a form only guy.
Last edited by MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:29 am

we will now slde into the path of bullshit, if you know Tai Chi you know kicks ITS THAT SIMPLE!
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:42 am

Those are some very ambiguous statements.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that if you know TJQ, you can kick to the same level as for example a competent karateka or a muay thai fighter?
Last edited by MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby amor on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 am

johnwang wrote:Taiji has outside crescent as "lotus kick". Why doesn't Taiji have "inside crescent kick"? If Taiji has "inside crescent kick", should Taiji also have "roundhouse kick"?

Your thought?

I think it does but perhaps the reason you don't think it does is because it borrows from a range of kicking styles e.g. roundhouse kicks, mid kicks, crescent kicks, flying kicks, side kicks, sweeps etc.

I think the following video shows martial artist philip rhee doing what probably amounts to all the different forms of kicking techniques that one can utilize not just in external styles but also internal arts like taichi if the situation and opportunity presents itself. Can you name all the different kicking techniques you see him doing? Plenty of roundhouse and other kicking techniques.
Are your kicks better than his?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKVXvwbKpbc
Last edited by amor on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
amor
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 am

MistyMonkeyMethod wrote:Those are some very ambiguous statements.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that if you know TJQ, you can kick to the same level as for example a competent karateka or a muay thai fighter?

A competent tjq fighter should be able to employ kicks as effectively in a fight, yeah
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:17 am

Because it doesn't have a good risk/reward profile against an armored opponent, maybe?
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 am

oragami_itto wrote:

A competent tjq fighter should be able to employ kicks as effectively in a fight, yeah

Definitely should, but that is the exception, not the rule. The exceptional kickers I know are getting their skills from bag/pad work, sparring, cross training in essence. The traditional methods, or at least the numerous ones I've seen, miss the critical elements of timing, distance, and consequently accuracy and delivery/power, plus the defensive ability in this sphere often leaves much to be desired.
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:24 am

MistyMonkeyMethod wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

Definitely should, but that is the exception, not the rule. The exceptional kickers I know are getting their skills from bag/pad work, sparring, cross training in essence. The traditional methods, or at least the numerous ones I've seen, miss the critical elements of timing, distance, and consequently accuracy and delivery/power, plus the defensive ability in this sphere often leaves much to be desired.

Taiji doesn't really use kicks the same way. Depending on how you define kick.

Kick type movements are more often used for enhanced control and tripping/sweeping more than percussive striking. Lifting, pushing, hooking. Knees in the clinch are universal and obvious. Toes to soft point strikes, testicles, back of the knee, armpit, throat. Heels to joints, top of the foot, chest, chin. Only when touching or controlling in my opinion
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:36 am

Sure, that is the classic context that I've been shown, but how often does one get in to such a situation where this is applicable, personally not so much and consequently the skill is devoid of a live environment that is the fertile soil for its development. In a contemporary sparring framework, ring/gloves, this doesn't transfer well at all, particularly when the other guys kicks can take my head off. I leaned that the hard way some time ago, and altered my training accordingly.
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan