I regret the violence I didn’t commit.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

I regret the violence I didn’t commit.

Postby johnwang on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:36 pm

I always want to punch one of my elementary school teacher on his face. One day I heard that he had passed away, I regret that I didn't punch him when he was still alive.

Why do I hate that elementary teacher so much? When I was in my 3rd grade in Taiwan, one day I got into a fight with my classmate. The teacher hit that boy once, he then hit me 6 times. The teacher asked me whether if I understood why. I said that I didn't. He said, "Because you are a pig". Back then Taiwanese would call a Chinese who immigrated from China to Taiwan as "pig". All my kid life was the history of "pig fought back against human's racism behavior.

Old Chinese saying said, "It's OK to wait for 3 years to execute your revenge". I assume I have waited too long.

Do you have similar experience?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: I regret the violence I didn’t commit.

Postby windwalker on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Do you still feel he remembers you?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:39 pm

windwalker wrote:Do you still feel he remembers you?

I don't think he remembered me. There were many pigs in my class. I was not the only pig in my class.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Once when we were kids with a soccer team, we had a goalie who we considered quite good. He was a bit older and made a lot of saves for us. We won a lot of games and he did more than his part. Unfortunately, he liked to put us younger kids in headlocks and rub our heads as his trademark bully thing. We all hated that and I ( and everyone as far as I remember ) wanted to punch him, etc. It was bullying behavior, but at the same time, he was basically our star goalie, a little bigger/stronger, so we were afraid to confront him. One day, the other goalie who was good but not the best lost it and yelled at him in front of everyone and threatened to kick his ass. I guess he called his bluff, and after that, the bully goalie just stopped the headlock thing. I wouldn't say he was nice but he was never actually a mean kid aside from the one thing. Pretty stupid, really, but this kind of story is almost always the reason you get really interested in martial arts, isn't it.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Yes, I have but not going in to any details, but yes I regret I didn't tell what a piece of shit that person was when we met years later....and now it's too late.
Trick

Postby johnwang on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm

everything wrote:but this kind of story is almost always the reason you get really interested in martial arts, isn't it.

Back then all fights were group fight that a group of pigs fought against a group of human.

When you are

- young and you are not interested in fighting, there is something wrong in you.
- older and you are not interested in health, there is also something wrong in you.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 pm

Damn, this tread made me also remember when I was 8 years old I was on my way to Jiuiutsu school where I had just began to study. A guy I think must have been in his late teens stopped me and snatched my bag from me he saw the uniform(Gi) in the bag and began to play some stupid game that he suddenly was so afraid of me all the while laughing, he also found some money in the bag(5 SweKrona I think it was). I began pulling my bag and yelling that he give my money back. An older woman came by and asked what was going on, the guy told her to shut up and he left..with my 5-krona, damn piece of shit that guy too, he I would not mind some violence upon even if I would meet him today.
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 am

Paying fines, spending time in court or even go to prison etc. Life is too short for that kind of shit. Life will always catch up with bad people and find ways to bite their a****. Better to just let reality work it's own way and not waste any time even on thinking about the past and those we would love to mess up.

...IMHO... ;)
Last edited by Bao on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 am

Bao wrote: Life will always catch up with bad people and find ways to bite their a****

Yes I do think that too, the guy that stole my money most probably belonged to those druggie criminal gangs that used to hang around in that and my neighboring neighborhood, a lot of them died of drug overdoses or by violence....
Trick

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 am

Haha! Great topic, have had many superiors as well as clients who lived in a bubble, no experience, no action, talking out of their ass. Impulse control is good for business, perhaps not so good for the soul.. nor the dentists.. :)
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 am

There was a girl in high school. We dated, we moved on, we stayed best friends. She started seeing an older guy, 19 who had already graduated, we were both 16.

My other friend was a complete pacifist and had a huge crush on her, but was in her friend zone so nothing was happening.

One day after school her dickhead boyfriend attacked him from behind and stuck his head between the door and the car while he was pounding on him.

So I jumped in to pull him off, his friend jumped in, I fight then both for a second before somebody pulled him away.

Then I bent him over backwards over the hood of a Volkswagen bug with full wrist control of his left hand with my left and my left arm pinning his right under my weight. He was completely at my mercy and I had a free right hand to destroy this man that I had learned to hate over the course of a couple years.

Then I realized that he was an adult, we were minors, and he was trespassing on school property, so I didn't. I figured I'd get him in court instead.

We filed a police report, pressed charges, went to court. Slam dunk assault and battery except his dad is a big real estate developer in town and they're like, kids will be kids, throw the case out.

So time goes on, the shithead boyfriend becomes the abusive husband and tortures my best friend for years before she escapes. Still involved in her daughter's life enough to get a little emotional blackmail and manipulation in when he needs money or a favor. Multiple assault charges, breaking and entering, dui, etc etc, never sat a day in jail because of Daddy's money.

If I saw him today I wouldn't make the same mistake.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:30 am

You can't "fix" people.

There are more than one way to make yourself feel better (although of course only one of those ways is actually available to any particular individual at any particular time).

Much of life is about learning to let go.

I don't regret a single thing from the past, even though I've done plenty of stupid crap (and continue to do some stupid crap to this very day). :)

Regrets are silly because at any given time/under any given circumstances, everyone does the only thing they can possibly do, and it is always "the best they could do" (given the circumstances).

#NomologicalDeterminismFTW :D

P.S. Just to clarify -- I'm not suggesting that trying to "fix" people (or making oneself feel better) by beating them up, or being unable to let go, is wrong.
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 am

johnwang wrote:Old Chinese saying said, "It's OK to wait for 3 years to execute your revenge". I assume I have waited too long.

It's probably better you didn't do anything. Otherwise, you may not be where you are, today.

Revenge can be against the law in most places. I used to pull over in road rage, thinking I can test my MA skills, but never let it lead to a fight, Then later realized, even if you are right it is not always the best decision.

Here's what can happen if one tries to use their martial arts skills, even if it is justified.
Fender-bender hit-run turns fatal in S.F. / Kickbox champ chases down driver, winds up shot to death, http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Fend ... 598674.php:
Jaxon Van Derbeken, Michael Cabanatuan, Chronicle Staff Writers, Saturday, August 2, 2003 wrote:A world champion Thai-style kickboxer was shot to death in the middle of a busy San Francisco street Friday after he chased down a hit-and-run driver who had slammed into his parked car minutes earlier.

Alex Gong, 30, was pronounced dead at the scene on Fifth Street near Harrison Street. Witnesses said he was shot at point-blank range when he confronted the driver, who apparently waited for a traffic signal to turn green before opening fire and speeding away.

Gong, who had been working out at the South of Market training gym he runs at 444 Clementina St., was wearing yellow boxing gloves and boxing trunks when he was killed.

Late Friday night, police said they had identified the car believed to be the hit-and-run vehicle, a dark green 1995 Jeep Cherokee with license plate 3NAN185, and want to question the registered owner, 33-year-old Kurt Reiner of San Francisco.
"He's not a suspect at this time," said Maria Oropeza, police spokeswoman. "He's only wanted for questioning."

Police also are trying to locate his car, she said.

The slaying came one day after San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown and other officials announced the start of a campaign to crack down on hit-and-run driving.

The 4:30 p.m. incident began outside Gong's Fairtex gym when his car, also a Jeep Cherokee, was hit by a passing car. Enraged, Gong gave chase on foot, going a block east on Clementina, then a block and a half south on Fifth Street. At that point, Gong confronted the driver, who had been forced to stop as traffic backed up near the Bay Bridge on-ramp.

"The victim put his arm out to stop the driver, the driver pushed him back and then shot him -- point blank," said Marilyn Moore, a witness who was riding in a car on Fifth Street.

'I JUST COULDN'T BELIEVE IT'
"The victim grabbed himself and fell backward," she said. "The driver backed up, put the car in drive and drove off. He turned right on Harrison.

"I just couldn't believe it, I've never seen nothing like that in my life," Moore said.

Brian Lam, 26, an instructor at Fairtex, said members of the gym saw the initial fender-bender through an open garage door. Gong, who was inside training, took off barefoot after the man, said Lam, who grabbed a camera and followed.

"As I was running up, I see Alex arguing with the guy," Lam said. "The light turned green, the guy popped him. He definitely waited for the light to turn green."

Lam said he tried to take a picture of the fleeing Cherokee, but was in a rush to help his mortally wounded friend. "I just yelled for people to help," he said.

A motorcycle officer on the way to the Hall of Justice nearby stopped, and he and Lam both attempted to resuscitate Gong.

"Last year, Alex paid for my CPR certification," Lam said. "I was giving him mouth-to-mouth, the officer was giving him chest compressions."

Lam said a single bullet struck Gong just above the heart.

"I thought he was dead maybe 10 seconds after he was shot," Lam said.

S.F. RESIDENT
Gong, a resident of San Francisco, was born and raised in New England, and lived for a time in Central Asia before returning to the East Coast. He later moved to California and graduated from San Francisco State University with a degree in business.

Long interested in judo and tae kwon do, Gong discovered Muay Thai, a form of kickboxing and the national sport of Thailand, in 1994. He once said in an interview that he was drawn to the sport by the fluid movement and careful balance it requires.

He had a natural affinity for the sport and racked up an impressive array of championships in the middleweight and welterweight classes. He appeared regularly on HBO and ESPN and headlined fights at the MGM Grand and the Mirage in Las Vegas. He was a dedicated competitor who trained tirelessly, often waking at dawn to run five miles and perform scores of sit-ups, push-ups and other exercises before going to work.

Gong worked equally hard as a businessman who introduced Muay Thai to California when in 1996 he opened a San Francisco branch of Fairtex Combat Sports Camp -- founded in Bangkok in 1976. It wasn't long before the firm employed 20 instructors and included more than 600 students. It is, according to the company's Web site, the nation's top Muay Thai training facility and the only one recognized by the World Muay Thai Council, which is under the authority of the Thai government.

'AN AMAZING GUY'
Under Gong's leadership, Fairtex opened another facility in Daly City in 2000.

As Gong's body lay in the middle of Fifth Street, wrapped in a yellow tarp, and police interviewed witnesses, students gathered at Fairtex. They were stunned and spoke with admiration for Gong.

Lam said Gong was a mentor and a leader.

"Alex was an amazing guy," Lam said. "He was the owner, but he was kind of like a big brother. It was a family environment.

"He was a fighter to the end. He was arguing with this guy to get him to pull over -- all he had to do was get his plate, but he had to get into it with him," Lam said.

Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Strange on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Ezekiel 25:17
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:08 pm

"It's probably better you didn't do anything. Otherwise, you may not be where you are, today"

I had talked to him before this happened, discussing some aspects of taiji. His personality was such that he felt pretty confident in his Thai boxing.

I felt it was more of a case that he forgot the real world is not the ring. His training would not allow him to back down. Different mind set.

Do agree with the main point about revenge.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan