solo aikido exercises -william gleason

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: solo aikido exercises -william gleason

Postby Interloper on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm

It must be an assumption by some, that anyone posting on this forum must not have any skills if they do not also have a famous name, or videos on YouTube. This stuff is not so rare that there aren't a number of "no names" in the world who train in and can do, and explain, the material. And not everyone who is famous and ubiquitous in the internet media represents the acme of the method. Everyone is a student in some stage of the journey.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm

I think it's fine for people not to have famous teachers or videos
But when they ask me to show something I reply in kind
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Finny on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 pm

wayne hansen wrote:
So is that the way it goes if someone points something out that is obvious
You all make excuses for the practicioner then attack the person who points it out

wayne hansen wrote:I think it's fine for people not to have famous teachers or videos
But when they ask me to show something I reply in kind

wayne hansen wrote:
Everyone here who has said how bad it is should now post a clip of themselves doing better

Ironic?
Finny
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Taking the third one out of context aren't we
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Interloper wrote:
Bao wrote:
Maybe because he was in a “talking mode”?

Internal method is reliant on mindfulness and awareness, which drive intent. For this stuff to "work" in combat, you have to train your mind to maintain your internal structure, even when moving and fighting. Being able to maintain structure and harmonizing forces and movement within your body while talking should be much easier, but I guess there are always distractions. :)

Ever tried to discuss or verbally explain something while seriously fighting? me neither
Trick

Postby Finny on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:12 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Taking the third one out of context aren't we

Absolutely.

Shall we put it in context? When rsf members "pointed something out that is obvious" about someone you're acquainted with, your response is "post a clip of you doing better, or leave the past in the past"

When it's the OP of this thread, the response was "if someone points something out that is obvious. You all make excuses for the practicioner then attack the person who points it out"

As I said.. ironic.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Are you just going to point out the irony or are you going to say something about the clip
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Finny on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:21 am

I'm not an aikido person, so can't speak from experience. But I agree with your comments - he seems to struggle for balance. The imbalance in hand height you reference seems indicative of the effects of scoliosis to me; you can see it's not simply the hand height which is out of alignment, his clavicles and the rest of his upper torso seem to be out.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 am

My point being, maintaining internal structure while talking, demonstrating, and teaching should not be difficult to an experienced practitioner. Can you talk and drive a car at the same time?

Maintaining while in combat, is way more demanding, of course. So, train for combat by incrementally increasing duress in sparring, etc. Testing your focus by teaching while demonstrating, is a gentle way to determine whether you can hold all of your body mechanisms even while talking.

Trick wrote:
Interloper wrote:
Bao wrote:
Maybe because he was in a “talking mode”?

Internal method is reliant on mindfulness and awareness, which drive intent. For this stuff to "work" in combat, you have to train your mind to maintain your internal structure, even when moving and fighting. Being able to maintain structure and harmonizing forces and movement within your body while talking should be much easier, but I guess there are always distractions. :)

Ever tried to discuss or verbally explain something while seriously fighting? me neither
Last edited by Interloper on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Interloper wrote:My point being, maintaining internal structure while talking, demonstrating, and teaching should not be difficult to an experienced practitioner. Can you talk and drive a car at the same time?

Maintaining while in combat, is way more demanding, of course. So, train for combat by incrementally increasing duress in sparring, etc. Testing your focus by teaching while demonstrating, is a gentle way to determine whether you can hold all of your body mechanisms even while talking.

Trick wrote:
Interloper wrote:

Yes, but you mentioned Fighting
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 am

Trick wrote:Ever tried to discuss or verbally explain something while seriously fighting?

Most of the time I would have to give commands and communicate with staff and other security while dealing with people. The harder you have to work to restrain somebody the more you're probably going to need to talk about it with the guy you just got stuck with as a partner tonight who you've never trained group tactics with. Talking is also an extremely effective weapon that does not lose effectiveness just because fists are flying when persuading stubborn people.

Even street fights, you've got to be able to talk and listen.

Combat sports arenas are safe spaces, you get to focus on just one thing and only need to listen, if that.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 am

Trick wrote:
Interloper wrote:Yes, but you mentioned Fighting

Maintaining internal structure and being able to use power and force derived from its processes, are things that require focused training and conditioning, through incremental increases in duress. Talking and maintaining is one level of duress. Certain kinds of randori and freesparring are another. Escalating practices in applied "street" combatives are yet another. They are all related but represent different stages and ways of introducing "distractions" that test and condition your ability to apply internal methods in extreme situations.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 am

Interloper wrote:
Trick wrote:
Interloper wrote:Yes, but you mentioned Fighting

Maintaining internal structure and being able to use power and force derived from its processes, are things that require focused training and conditioning, through incremental increases in duress. Talking and maintaining is one level of duress. Certain kinds of randori and freesparring are another. Escalating practices in applied "street" combatives are yet another. They are all related but represent different stages and ways of introducing "distractions" that test and condition your ability to apply internal methods in extreme situations.

“Ever tried to discuss or verbally explain something while seriously fighting?”

The problem is not completely about focus, but rather about breath.

Driving a car and talking is easy because change of breathing pattern doesn’t affect your ability to drive.

Punching when talking is hard because you don’t control your breath. ( it will be no good power)

If you balance and talk, your balance must adjust to the breath. It depends on how you talk. If you talk from the stomach it’s easy. If you tense the chest or neck, you can lose balance.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Bao, breath is just part of the equation. What is relevant is the mental training and conditioning that permits someone to maintain focus under duress. That is what the warrior classes have trained for, for centuries.

My point about driving is that the human mind is capable of conditioning multiple layers of simultaneous activities, both mental and physical. That said, a person who is demonstrating a concept of internal structure and movement, should be able to do so while speaking. That was the original discussion. Fighting while maintaining that focus, is another level of the same developmental process, just with more layers of issues you must deal with, including breathing. :)

Bao wrote:

The problem is not completely about focus, but rather about breath.

Driving a car and talking is easy because change of breathing pattern doesn’t affect your ability to drive.

Punching when talking is hard because you don’t control your breath. ( it will be no good power)

If you balance and talk, your balance must adjust to the breath. It depends on how you talk. If you talk from the stomach it’s easy. If you tense the chest or neck, you can lose balance.
Last edited by Interloper on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 am

then,
maybe ,
Mr Gleason practicing discussed exercise just 20 years, while 30 years is required for polished perfection...:)

just shot in the dark from Krakow.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links