TCC Training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

TCC Training

Postby KEND on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:28 am

I was curious as to why TCC is taught differently to other MA's including other IMA's. In traditional MA teaching there are breakdowns of stepping, punching, kicking, hand conditioning, breaking, bag practice, two man sets, and eventually fighting. In TCC there are 'forms, corrections, push hands, a few apps .Did this difference appear at its creation or did it get that way as many TCC practitioners learnt other more external and physically robust arts first
KEND
Great Old One

Re: TCC Training

Postby everything on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:36 am

When Yang learned from the Chens, he supposedly proved he had ability from some type of comparison. Was this light push hands? Heavy push hands? Light sparring? What was it? Same question with Wang Xiangzhai or xingyiquan and yiquan. When he said he traveled around to touch hands with masters, what did they do?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Depends on the teacher. I learned one posture at a time broken down into distinct individual movements. After learning and beginning to practice the form, I started learning more about what the movements were and what they meant. Then I learned how to use them. Then I learned how to use them with other people.

I don't know how other arts do things.

We didn't drill single punches, for example, but single movements. You build a sort of pattern of energy flows in the body and then when you go to fight it sort of slops into the energy flow of the encounter like mercury under the guidance of your intention.

I find the training I've learned to be effective for the art I want to express.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:48 pm

In TCC there are 'forms, corrections, push hands, a few apps .Did this difference appear at its creation or did it get that way as many TCC practitioners learnt other more external and physically robust arts first

Public Tai Chi instruction for the masses was design for people who did not want to exercise hard and physically. Back then in China when the masses stood in rows and practiced tai chi forms, non-peasants or any that didn’t work physically would do anything that made them sweat. Sweating was for the low classes. The middle class or anyone that had a little bit of status never engaged in hard physical training.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm

KEND wrote:I was curious as to why TCC is taught differently to other MA's including other IMA's. In traditional MA teaching there are breakdowns of stepping, punching, kicking, hand conditioning, breaking, bag practice, two man sets, and eventually fighting. In TCC there are 'forms, corrections, push hands, a few apps .Did this difference appear at its creation or did it get that way as many TCC practitioners learnt other more external and physically robust arts first

I learnt all the things you say are missing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm

wayne hansen wrote:
KEND wrote:I was curious as to why TCC is taught differently to other MA's including other IMA's. In traditional MA teaching there are breakdowns of stepping, punching, kicking, hand conditioning, breaking, bag practice, two man sets, and eventually fighting. In TCC there are 'forms, corrections, push hands, a few apps .Did this difference appear at its creation or did it get that way as many TCC practitioners learnt other more external and physically robust arts first

I learnt all the things you say are missing

Yes, I did too. It's just the teacher and whether or not you want to pursue it as a martial art. Some do and some don't.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan