Pedophilia

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Pedophilia

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Is it wrong for a 32 year-old to seduce a 14 year-old? Is it worse when that person is a public official or a movie star? It's complicated by the fact that child marriages are not uncommon in the US.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Pedophilia

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Pedophilia is technically sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. Attraction to children in puberty (11-14) is hebophilia and post pubescent kids (14+) is ephebophilia.

They all might count as sexual abuse of a minor depending on local laws, but if I'm not mistaken ephebophilia is legal in most of the world.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Michael

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Well, I get the philia part. However, a 16 year old loving a 14 year-old is different than a 32 or 62 year old doing so, don't you think? And I said seduce not marry.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:05 pm

There are a lot of situations where it's definitely wrong, such as having influence or power over the underage person.

The example you gave about the 16 and 14 y.o. is one reason why minimum age of consent varies in terms of protecting young people who are unable to protect themselves.

Marriage age is relevant because of legal issues. In Texas there are laws against seduction, meaning you fail to get married after the act. Legal standards are very relevant to what people think is right or wrong about minors having sex.
Michael

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Steve, do you think it's wrong?
Michael

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Steve James wrote:Is it wrong for a 32 year-old to seduce a 14 year-old? Is it worse when that person is a public official or a movie star? It's complicated by the fact that child marriages are not uncommon in the US.

In the US the age of consent is different depending on state. In different cultures it can be as young as 12,

"Although in such states there is no set minimum age by statute, the traditional common law minimum age is 14 for boys and 12 for girls - ages "

child marriages are considered normal in different cultures residing in the the US.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Yes, I think it's wrong --especially if the adult is a teacher, say, and the other is a minor student. BTW, it doesn't matter if the adult is a female or if both are the same sex.

Afa child marriages in the US, there is no reason to bring up any other culture. In fact we have plenty of polygamous and incestuous marriages. There are shows about them.

Betcha can easily Google up pictures.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Google child bride United States. I am not trying to condemn the US. I just want to understand what people think about the subject before it comes up again. After all, calling someone a pedophile is expected to be an insult.
Last edited by Steve James on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 am

Steve James wrote:BTW, it doesn't matter if the adult is a female or if both are the same sex.

If the man is older and it's illegal, it goes into the headlines as rape. If the woman is the perp, it's a "sex romp" or some other euphemism.

I have some extended family here in Texas of my mother's generation where one of our cousins, a girl who I think was 14 or 15, she "eloped" with an older man, and I think it was a dude in his early 30's. This would have been around the late 1950's or early 60's. Her dad and a few others grabbed their rifles and went looking for him, couldn't get the scent and eventually the couple got married, had a kid, etc. They eventually divorced.

You gotta obey the law, follow the family and you can't exploit young people. Then there are always exceptions and marriage turns something wrong into something accepted.

Trying to hit a home run with a 14 y.o. in the back seat on the first date if you're 32, that's wrong. If it breaks the law, go to jail. If her dad gives you high velocity lead poisoning, them's the breaks.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 am

I have a 16 year old daughter, so I am prejudiced against males of any age when it comes to her. She's the one whose mom is Catalunya. Otoh, I know that she's grown up and has her own thoughts on these matters. If she decided to elope, there's not much I could do. However, that's voluntary because she has her own will, though terrible judgment.

The type of pedophilia I mean is when adults take advantage of children or people against their will. The legal age of responsibility varies from place to place. But, 14 is imo not old enough to be responsible, even though it may be old enough to consent.

My grandmother was married at 14, but that was in 1913 in Virginia. My grandfather was 19, but they stayed together for life. I wouldn't call that pedophilia or rape. It was child marriages, but it was common.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 am

Yes, it is wrong.
A child, even a teenager, is not emotionally mature enough to make decisions about sex.
chud
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm

chud wrote:Yes, it is wrong.
A child, even a teenager, is not emotionally mature enough to make decisions about sex.

Are they emotionally mature enough to understand what sex they are and make decisions
based on this as in transgender ? some think so.

Quinceañera
The celebration is for Latin American girls (or "Latinas" in the US) who, on turning fifteen are no longer considered children, and are honored and introduced into their community as young women.

In rural societies, girls were considered ready for marriage once they turned fifteen. In the 20th century, the quinceañera received certain privileges associated with womanhood: permission to attend adult parties,"

would you tell them that they are not mature enough to go to the parties or be ready for marriage?

" The quinceañera marked a young woman's transition to adulthood, as she was presented, as a virgin, to the community for probable suitors.[3]"

In some cultures at 15 a young girl is considered "ready" to have kids and be a wife.

As to the OP question while I dont agree with the practice in some cultures what might be considered as pedophilia,
its considered normal for young girls to be ready for marriage.

Different states have different ages for the age of consent....

teenagers considered at 18 to be men can go to war but not drink because?
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:24 pm

The Quinceanera in Latin cultures is no different than the Sweet Sixteen party in Anglo cultures. They have exactly the same meaning of reaching the "coming of age." Jews have Bar and Bas Mitzvahs at thirteen. None other these traditions have anything to do with pedophilia.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:22 am

"My grandmother was married at 14, but that was in 1913 in Virginia. My grandfather was 19, but they stayed together for life. I wouldn't call that pedophilia or rape. It was child marriages, but it was common."

"The Quinceanera in Latin cultures is no different than the Sweet Sixteen party in Anglo cultures. They have exactly the same meaning of reaching the "coming of age." Jews have Bar and Bas Mitzvahs at thirteen. None other these traditions have anything to do with pedophilia."

"In some cultures at 15 a young girl is considered "ready" to have kids and be a wife."

None of the issues about attraction is really about age, but how the girl has matured or not. Every girl's body mature differently, earlier or later.

The moral obligation of a society is somewhat a completely different thing than attraction.

We live in a completely different society than compared to a few cultures left on earth or compared to what west once was.

Well... for a few hundred years ago, life expectancy in the west was about 40 years of age. 10-20% percent of giving birth resulted in the death of the mother (complications of pregnancy, giving birth or thereafter). Not many children survived, so women gave birth to many children and the expectations of a women surviving up to ten births was not very good. The older children, brothers, sisters, cousins, everyone helped out taking care of the smaller children, so even small girls helped out and learned how to take care of children. Not many went to higher education, kids started to work younger, mature earlier and faced many different difficulties than most children in the west have to face.

But we live in a very different society today. We want children to grow up well and let the women grow up before they have children. But sadly, some places haven't catched up. Today, mostly in some places in Africa, fistula is still a great problem. What it means it that girls having birth when they are 12, 13 or 14 years old constantly leaks urine and feaces because they had children before their bodies wasn't yet completely mature. Many of them hide away or are put away in shame. https://www.girlsnotbrides.org/fistula- ... ld-brides/. This was also a common problem in the west in the days of old. But people have forgotten about it. There are many good reasons why the civilised world wants the girls grow into women before giving birth to children.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic