Silk Reeling

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Silk Reeling

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:46 pm

I think in the Wu you will find it is much more than giving it a name
Even though I learnt the yang in a very square manner
The square for development the circle for intensity
The feet follow the square the hands follow the circle
The e,ar,sun count of the Wu gives it a very special what of training that gives all Wu a special bond
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:54 pm

As always, Chen Zhonghua brings up something thought provoking and at the same time, well, unconventional :) However, I'd really love for him to add more information about where his knowledge on the matter has come from. This is the first time I hear such a definition of silk reeling. Almost everything what Chen Zhonghua says when instructing sounds so different from the methods of Feng Zhiqian's, Tian Xiuchen's or Chen Yu's, which I, admittedly, am only tenuously familiar with. Is he summarizing his own understanding and experience? Is it something that either Feng Zhiqian or Hong Junsheng taught him? Go figure...
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby willie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 pm

The video in the O.P. is not in accordance to my understanding. I would not be interested.
Also, this video posted by Robert is not Laojia Yilu. It is Xinjia Yilu. It's the same form as the one that
I'm currently practicing from CZL/ WHJ.
Last edited by willie on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby robert on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm

willie wrote:It is a village style of Xinjia Yilu. It's the same form as the one that

In another thread where you posted a video and later took it down you said your teacher didn't want his art out there. Were you referring to WHJ?
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:51 pm

robert wrote:
willie wrote:It is a village style of Xinjia Yilu. It's the same form as the one that

In another thread where you posted a video and later took it down you said your teacher didn't want his art out there. Were you referring to WHJ?

No I was not referring to WHJ.
He is one of the major sources of information. One of my teachers teachers. Therefore he is my grand teacher. I actually have more than one teacher. Both of them are from WHJ. As you should surely know some of the material that is learned in private is very expensive and is not meant to be shared.
Last edited by willie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby robert on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I study with a couple people from Chen village and, considering the level of the people I study with, the prices seem reasonable. In China these people would be like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Stephen Curry, Lebron James, kevin Durant, and so on are in the US - I would not have the skills or money to study with these people. Since taiji is not too popular in the west and they are trying to introduce taiji here they are pretty affordable. As far as I can tell people from Chen village want people to understand how to do taiji correctly and want people to share the information. My view ...
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby willie on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:19 pm

robert wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I study with a couple people from Chen village and, considering the level of the people I study with, the prices seem reasonable. In China these people would be like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Stephen Curry, Lebron James, kevin Durant, and so on are in the US - I would not have the skills or money to study with these people. Since taiji is not too popular in the west and they are trying to introduce taiji here they are pretty affordable. As far as I can tell people from Chen village want people to understand how to do taiji correctly and want people to share the information. My view ...

A couple things come to mind.
There actually is a few Chen classes with-in a 30 minute trip from me. These people all have at-least 20 years in Chen.
So how come when it comes to actually applying the art, they don't have the answers?
Even Appledog who stated that he is a taiji judge, did not even understand my comments on gears or ball bearings? Hell he even accused me
of making it all up? I can tell you that some of the people doing Chen came from Yang and seem to believe that they know the art.

I was lucky, i found someone who did have a lot of the answers, Those answers did not come cheap for him or for me.
from what i gather, A lot of people don't really care about application. I am totally different in that respect. My natural
disposition in life makes me question everything, "Being assumed" is just not good enough for me. I mean, Look at the time required to
get anywhere in these arts. it's just not worth it to guess, that is why I paid for private lessons.
Thanks
willie

Postby robert on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:37 pm

I do workshops and private lessons, but since people only come over a couple times a year it's not too expensive. I've been to China a couple times and that gets expensive, although it's nice to train for 6 or 10 days. I try to follow Chen Changxing's advice "To advance take one step at a time, be patient, and follow the proper training sequence."
robert
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm

willie wrote:...
I was lucky, i found someone who did have a lot of the answers, Those answers did not come cheap for him or for me.
from what i gather, A lot of people don't really care about application. I am totally different in that respect. My natural
disposition in life makes me question everything, "Being assumed" is just not good enough for me. I mean, Look at the time required to
get anywhere in these arts. it's just not worth it to guess, that is why I paid for private lessons.
Thanks

Willie, how do you like Chen Yu's method? His line seems focused on application as much as it can get. Just curious.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby Appledog on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:45 am

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Appledog wrote:
willie wrote:Even Appledog who stated that he is a taiji judge, did not even understand my comments on gears or ball bearings? Hell he even accused me
of making it all up?

No, I didn't say that. You can quote me if you like, though.

I can explain anything I said to you. The only issue I see is that you don't ask.

I'm sure you're doing well, I have some of your videos, and you're on the right road. Just a few small mistakes. Maybe if we ever meet up and you're not too proud, you could ask me for some pointers.

Appledog

No, I didn't say that. You can quote me if you like, though.

The fall was quick and fast

the problem with making up your own analogy -- "like ball bearings" -- for example. It comes with a host of additional baggage and is missing a host of "standard additional baggage" that was intended to come along with the previous/old/in-door way of explaining things. Go too far down that path and you will end up somewhere else.

Helical gears is another one. I might as well say "A big fat stick".

But don't worry, I forgive you, LOL!
Just a few small mistakes. Maybe if we ever meet up and you're not too proud, you could ask me for some pointers.

I'm not to proud, I train with anyone who's serious. I also have no problem examining new material that other people might have.
Thanks.
willie

Postby willie on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 pm

HotSoup wrote:
Willie, how do you like Chen Yu's method? His line seems focused on application as much as it can get. Just curious.

I never met Chen Yu, But he certainly looks very, very good. One of my teacher's skills are half village and half from
the Chen Zhaokui side. He is sifu under Master ZLP. He is very good and also very strange. It's not really possible to talk about some of the skills,
because it may have to do more with cultural type things. like a man made of ball bearings, like a scorpion injecting poison, Or with arms of a squid, All
with the power of a machine hiding underneath. If you compare this video to standard forms, talking gets kind-of messy, don't you think?
Last edited by willie on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Appledog on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links